Project blog: Tau Superheavy Walker (Completed)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
mangozac
Kor

Re: Project blog: Tau Superheavy Walker (Nearly Finished!)

Post#511 » Dec 04 2009 03:13

Yes, you could, but I've since made some more changes to some parts that wouldn't yet be reflected. Besides, you would need to decide on the rules before actually making the datasheet ;)

mangozac
Kor

Post#512 » Dec 06 2009 05:49

Aaaaaaand we have a new pic. Admittedly less pics than I had planned as I accidentally deleted them and am not motivated enough to take some more now that it's night time. Oh well :roll:

Here we have the I have the primed new joint cover disc. Blame Warhound for me having to design a new one ;)
I used the Mr Surfacer 500 for this and it's left a bit of a rough finish. I'm not sure if this is just because of the coarseness of the 500 or because I didn't thin it enough for the hot weather today. In any case it's no big deal as I have some 1200 grit sandpaper I can smooth it all up with. And like with all other parts the priming revealed some very slight flaws that will need fixing up.

Enjoy!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#513 » Dec 06 2009 11:31

That's one really nice joint cover. Much better than the last one. Keep it up!

XV-02
Fio

Post#514 » Dec 08 2009 02:52

(Wow, its been a while since I looked in on this thread!)
Mangozac, As it was last time I checked: Your walked is a master-piece of devious and perverse model perfection. Your a heck on an ingenious and thorough artist.
I can't await the finished piece! My only reservation is that it may cause me to drown in my own ecstasy induce drooling, as the product so far leaves me agape at the unmitigated awesomeness.

I eagerly await your next picture upload. Keep on keeping on!

mangozac
Kor

Post#515 » Dec 08 2009 04:00

Thanks guys, the gushing is always enjoyed ;)

I'm still playing around perfecting my casting techniques but am almost there. I need to be - I just ordered $500 worth of silicone and resin! I'm hoping to have the first kits available early in the new year. Yeah, I know I keep pushing the date back, but real life keeps getting in the way!

tyranny12
Shas

Post#516 » Dec 12 2009 12:40

mangozac wrote:Thanks guys, the gushing is always enjoyed ;)

I'm still playing around perfecting my casting techniques but am almost there. I need to be - I just ordered $500 worth of silicone and resin! I'm hoping to have the first kits available early in the new year. Yeah, I know I keep pushing the date back, but real life keeps getting in the way!

Man oh man... that joint cover alone is superb.

mangozac
Kor

Post#517 » Dec 25 2009 09:31

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

It's boxing day here in Oz (the day after Christmas - I don't know if any other countries have that?) so I'm doing some serious hobby work. I just scribed up the panel lines and did some priming, but more excitingly I tried out my latest batch of moulds.

Completed moulds I now have include:
- Foot
- Ankle pistons
- Upper leg
- Joint cover disc
- Railgun rotator.

This afternoon I'm planning to completely finish the lower leg so that I can start on its mould tomorrow. It will take 3 days to make as it's going to be a 3 part mould.

In the meantime, here's a shot of the current cast parts (bar the joint cover disc). These moulds still have a couple of tiny flaws, but they're mainly in spots that don't matter so it's no big deal.

mangozac
Kor

Post#518 » Jan 03 2010 12:29

Steadily progressing through the moulds! I've just poured the second half of the new weapons sprue mould and the first half of the rear chassis mould. All that's left is the front chassis and pelvis!

Here's a leg completely assembled. Ignore the different resin colours - in the final kit all parts will be the same grey as the lower leg.

All moulds have turned out pretty perfectly, except for the lower leg mould. It's got a couple of voids in the silicone which cause some warped areas on the cast (due to pressure casting). I'm going to try a modified casting technique to see if I can't let it set without pressure but ultimately I will run this mould as it's $30 in silicone (and not taking into account the time required to make a 3-part mould).

Final details regarding the kit to be announced on the Resin Addict blog very shortly.

mangozac
Kor

Post#519 » Jan 19 2010 05:12

OK I got excited this morning and snapped a shot of all the parts for a complete walker. The sharp eyed will notice that it's only 98% complete - the front chassis is missing. The mould for that is currently curing ;)

Exciting, no? It's pretty heavy when you pick it all up - you don't realise just how crazy a 2kg model is!

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#520 » Jan 19 2010 06:26

jesus... might find yourself a job with forgeworld if your not careful
~Good Hunting

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#521 » Jan 19 2010 09:34

If you weren't all the way in Australia I would say apply for a job. That model is amazing. I would love to have one for myself. but there are only two restrictions holding me back:
1) I hate extra large painting projects like that
2) It's questionable that I would ever use it in a game, plus I lack proper storage space. It would be a very large paperweight.
However, that's not to say that it's not great! Quite the contrary! This set is amazing and after all the time and effort it took to get here, you deserve a pat on the back!
As heavy would say:
"You did well! mmm Sandwich!" :P
Last edited by Agentarrow on Jan 27 2010 11:46, edited 2 times in total.

Warhound
Shas

Post#522 » Jan 27 2010 07:04

'Hominyana,Hominyana,Hominyana,Hominyana,Hominyana,Hominyana,.........ho!"

Does raindance for cardboard box to fall out of sky, land on desk at work and open with the radiance of shining etheric gold... :lol:

When said package arrives will be posting a blog to illustrate, exactly what comes in the box, (hopefully) how easy it is to construct and then the painting element.

Next week will be a memorable one!

cheers

WARHOUND
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#523 » Jan 27 2010 09:37

ooh, can't wait for that!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#524 » Jan 27 2010 10:46

Damn man, if only I had that kind of talent...
Last edited by Orpheus Hangar on Jan 28 2010 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

Dal'yth Mont'sha
Shas'Vre

Post#525 » Jan 27 2010 11:24

Guys please remember that ATT can not be used for commercial purposes at all. Please do not make any reference, direct or implied, about the sale or purchase of products between members or the general public in the forums.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#526 » Jan 28 2010 01:56

Dal'yth Mont'sha wrote:Guys please remember that ATT can not be used for commercial purposes at all. Please do not make any reference, direct or implied, about the sale or purchase of products between members or the general public in the forums.

*headdesk* That always slips my mind... :-?

Warhound
Shas

Post#527 » Jan 28 2010 04:55

Hey Dalyth,

I have PM'd you and the Mods- cheers for the prompter;-)

Thanks

WARHOUND
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

mangozac
Kor

Post#528 » Jan 28 2010 05:44

Hey there's no advertising or commerce going on here. It's no secret that there is a kit available and if people want to express excitement for it then that's fine.

I can't wait for Mark to get his kit and paint it up - I have no doubts that he will do my masterpiece complete justice ;)

Return to “Project Logs”