Kroot Auxiliary Corps WIP (Updated 9-Sep-2015)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
stillfrosty
Kroot

Re: Kroot Auxiliary Corps WIP (Aug 31 - Iron Oxen!)

Post#55 » Aug 31 2008 02:37

Great Battle report! I loved it, you like to embellish the shortcomings of your army and make stupidly funny comments as well! Awesome!

Anyways You need some more Iron Oxes and probably another commander suit or two. I don't think having some more anti-tank and anti-marine firepower in your army would hurt. So give it a thought.

Shattered Spear
Shas

Post#56 » Aug 31 2008 05:59

Your battle reports were as entertaining as the photos that went with them (almost every step of the way, very impressive!) and I really like your Iron Oxen. Once again, another Kroot player has amazed me with his dedication to the spiny headed carnavores! Maybe some suit stand-ins with FB or something of the sort would a good addition to help beef-up your anti-armor, but in any case, bravo. Keerp the Kroot coming!

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#57 » Sep 01 2008 04:29

Excellent work on these guys! I really enjoy all the fun conversions. Your list is really interesting too. How well did it perform for you in the tournament? I read the battle report (which was great by the way), but I am interested in your list and wanted to hear your thoughts. What is your general strategy with these guys? What would you change for next time? What performed the best/worst? What would you add to beef it up to 2000pts?

Turbo_MMX
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#58 » Sep 02 2008 09:58

Thanks for the feedback as always guys. Im having a bit of a break with the conversion side of things and will be jumping back into it real soon. The next addition will be an entire Kroot Knarloc Raiders formation :D (if i don’t get side tracked) But for now ill try and answer some of Wolf16's questions.

What is your general strategy with these guys?

The general Strategy is a Static gun line with a few mobile units. With the mercs limited combat ability (without power weapons and evicerators) they aren’t really made for assaults. You can defiantly tip the balance in your favour with Kroot ox and hounds however. Also Prock is really a Vital part if your wanting to do allot of combat Against armies like Guard and eldar they can win out quite quick against their more basic infantry, but against marines you need to hug cover and wait for them to come to you.

Pick your cover and your shooting lanes, try and have a location worked out for a "slow down charge" if you need (i usually use the great Knarlocs for this) Or if that isn’t an option just put them behind your main gun lines for a counter charge (Using the fear factor of the Knarlocs to keep the enemy away). The commander and Prock attach to the 2 units you least want to run (usually the 2 ox squads) too boost their leadership and keep them around longer. Then its a matter of targeting and shooting your enemy working down from most dangerous to least. And if your about to get assaulted then be sure to have the vespid in position to ambush them on the way in. In small units vespid almost always fail. But take allot of them and you wont be disappointed :D

What would you change for next time?

To be honest i have no idea. Im considering taking the great Knarloc out and exchanging it for more Baggage Knarlocs, or maybe even another battle suit with some more AP weapons, its really all that the army is lacking at the moment.

What performed the best/worst?

Best consistant performance for the whole tournament was the vespid! Even if they failed to kill the units they were after with shooting they ALWAYS managed to hold their own in combat, the T4 and Leadership 10 is nothing to just shrug off!

Worst would probably be the Great Knarloc, its basically a bullet magnet, its bigger than a carnifex but a single marine squad with bolters can kill it in a single turn. the 6+ save and the fact its not a Monstrous creature mean it just gets killed very very quickly. I mostly keep it in the list because it looks fantastic and because of its size it has "Fear Factor". Meaning people will target it over other things because they "THINK" its more dangerous that what it really is.

What would you add to beef it up to 2000pts?

A couple more Kroot ox, Another Iron ox or 2, Some more vespid, 2 more baggage knarlocs. Probably a bodyguard for my commander and basically just flesh out the troops. Maybe even a Devilfish for the Kroot to steal and go driving in. To be honest i haven’t really thought that far ahead :)
The Mighty Kroot Power Gamer!

Ah yes, ya gotta love it

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#59 » Sep 02 2008 10:07

Just for some clarification, WHY is the Greater Knarloc not a monstrous creature? I'd think a giant space ChickenRex would fall under the category of "monstrous". It's beak is bigger than a marine and its twice the size of a carnifex.

Someone needs to let GW know it either needs more wounds or a better save, btw. Maybe give it an upgrade to "chitinous hide" to give it a 4 or 5+ maybe?
Enclave of the 7 Swords: 12-5-2

TheAmbit
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#60 » Sep 02 2008 10:20

Shas'O J'Kaara Nan wrote:Just for some clarification, WHY is the Greater Knarloc not a monstrous creature? I'd think a giant space ChickenRex would fall under the category of "monstrous". It's beak is bigger than a marine and its twice the size of a carnifex.

Someone needs to let GW know it either needs more wounds or a better save, btw. Maybe give it an upgrade to "chitinous hide" to give it a 4 or 5+ maybe?

While I agree it is huge and should be a MC, it is not in fact a Greater Knarloc. It is a GREAT knarloc. A Greater Knarloc is the creature from DoW that rivals a giant Squigoth in size. Perhaps we'll see one someday. Hope I don't come across as rude, just pointing it out that they are two different things.

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#61 » Sep 02 2008 10:56

Oops typo, still meant the same thing I think. The GREAT knarloc is bigger than almost anything on the table, minus defilers, Soul Sucker thingies and Armagedoom(typo intended) units. Im pretty sure TRex vs Rhino transport is a no win situation for marines...I'd like to see a Great Knarloc go at it with a Dreadnought, just so you know...
Enclave of the 7 Swords: 12-5-2

Turbo_MMX
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#62 » Sep 02 2008 11:16

Shas'O J'Kaara Nan wrote:I'd like to see a Great Knarloc go at it with a Dreadnought, just so you know...

Thats a bad situation all round. I Keep Great Knarlocs away from Dreads as much as I can.

Dreadnaughts have higher initiative and will instant kill a Knarlioc on a 2+ if they hit it!

Even a Ork Killa Kan can do the same thing! But the Knarloc has a chance of taking the Can with it as the Initiatives are the same!

To be honest i wish i could use the Giant reptile rules from the old Creature Feature article. http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer4 ... feature/4/

The Carnisaur has a stat line and points cost i think that would better represent the Great Knarloc Model. Considering the Knarloc also dwarfs a Carnosaur in size :D

Ah yes, ya gotta love it

stillfrosty
Kroot

Post#63 » Sep 03 2008 12:47

I agree with you 110% those rules reflect the knarloc a whole lot better then the current rules.... So thats why I plan on converting my knarlocs to some a little more suitable for their purpose! :evil:

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#64 » Sep 03 2008 10:34

Thanks for the reply Turbo. When I read your list and battle report, I was really motivated to try something unconventional.

I initially was surprised and a little nervous at the lack of suits. But I was really intrigued at the amount of Kroot Ox. I used this list in a friendly 1500 point game vs. Tyranid. I am surprised to say that I lost by only a few VP's! They actually performed very well and they were really fun to use.

The commander though, got vaporized in turn one at the hands of a Shooty Tyrant. I laughed out loud when it happened because I was counting on him to bring some real hurt, but all his armor saves were 1's and 2's. With the exception of the AFP, the Commander has really short ranged weaponry. Did that work for you, or did you wish you could have changed the loadout? By the way, your conversion for this guy was inspired; great work!

I really, really love the Kroot Ox. I don't know why, but I love those little buggers. I am not a huge fan of the model itself, but its rules intrigued me. It was really strong in both shooting and assault, but on the defense it sucked. I used my Ox as a gunline and I was not disappointed. One squad camped out in a building that was AV13 and were safe the whole game. The other squad was behind some cover and used their 4+ cover save to great effect. I am definitely keeping these squads.

As for the large group of Kroot, they didn't do much till turn 5, when they finally got into assault range. I attached Prok to them and was amazed at how effective the re-roll he provided was. Still, the large squad was cumbersome and they didn't get any shooting done at all. I am assuming I used them wrong. Infiltrating them into some cover and having them just bunker down would probably have made them more effective.

I found that the Great Knarloc worked great for me. I didn’t take any baggage Knarlocs; instead, I took 2 Great Knarlocs (mainly because I only had rules for them and not the baggage kind). They worked really well on the charge, killing the Shooty Tyrant in hand to hand (3 rending attacks and 2 more in the next round of combat!)!

I wanted to get more AP in the 1500pt range, so I removed any Knarlocs and put in Fireknives. On the subject of suits, don’t you think that some long range weaponry would really have helped out the Commander more? A Fireknife or Deathrain configuration would suit his role as a holding the gunline. Just a thought.

I am getting excited about this list! I would be interested in kicking a few more ideas around. Thanks for your reply before!

Turbo_MMX
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#65 » Sep 03 2008 11:34

Ha Cool. The Auxiliary Corps has a Sister army! Im always happy to hear when ive impired someone to step away from the norm and try something different, it makes my day! :D

I havent tested this list against nids so its cool to hear they didnt do too bad. My main enemy in the test phase was Daemons and Orks. Daemons ive now learnt to kill very well, Orks are a little more tricky, but im getting there :D.

Yeah the commander is a tricky Character. You are right that ranged weapons might work better on him. I did think a few times that a Plasma gun might work better than his melta, but the main reason i havent is because he is mainly a backup tank hunter and swarm infantry killer (nids, Orks, guard). Should the Broadsides fail to do their jobs at range he is the last resort with his melta gun (the Land raider in the first game of the tournament is a clasic example). The other is because most Master shapers in a Kroot Merc list will take a melta gun, so its more of a themed choice.

One thing you should always do with him though is attach him to one of the Ox squads at the start. This gives them the extra leadership and also keeps him safe from shooting. It will have the extra problem of making the ox a bigger target but thats to be expected.

You had some GREAT rolls with your Knarlocs. I think that was the issue with my own guys. I didnt rend once the whole tournament!

Ive also been thinking the same thing with reguards to suits. Droping the Knarlocs for more suits is not a bad idea. The main thing that stops me from doing it is money, and deciding on how best to go about the converson.

Ive got 1 more of the model i used to make my commander's Knarloc so i can make the mount without issue (just need to get one more if i want a pair). The trick is then how to model the weapons onto them so that it looks practical and cool at the same time. The Air Burst cannon was the easy one along with the melta. But Missile pods im having a tricky time figuring out.

Ah yes, ya gotta love it

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#66 » Sep 04 2008 12:22

You know, I think the mount you used for the Commander should stay only for him. It makes him stand out and it looks really powerful. Maybe the new Dark Elf Cold One's I've been hearing about. They are plastic (cheaper) and they look pretty cool! I think they fit more for the standard suits. I would love to convert up some Kroot, but I have about 5 suits already built so I have to use them! So I may not have Kroot Suits right away, but I am thinking of ways to include them in the conversions.

The theme of my cadre is that they are in constant battle with the Tyranid, so they are heavily weathered and battle damaged. On their first encounter with the Nids, they were almost destroyed, were it not for the quick intervention of a Kroot Merc warband. Of course, the mercenary activity of the Kroot is something the Tau turn a blind eye too, so it put them both in an awkward situation. The Tau did not want to report the activity since the Kroot saved their lives. So the only resonable approach is for the Kroot to join with the Tau in eliminating the Nids from this sector and learning what they can in battle to assist the Empire.

As for my battle with Nids, I should note one thing. My opponent had a Shooty Flyrant as well that attempted to deep strike behind my lines. He scattered off the table and suffered a terrible accident result. But if he would have landed, I would have been facing 12 Str 5 hits that re-roll hit and wound. That would have chewed through most of my lines. That made me realize that if I let anything get back there, I am screwed.

Oh yeah, the Vespid. Freakin awesome. I never used them before because people always talked about how bad they were. But with the new cover save rules, they are proving very effective. In the battle with the Nids, Squad 1 deep stuck behind some Biovores and killed one in shooting and the other two in assault later on. The other squad landed near some Warriors and then failed to do anything beyond one wound. Now, why do I say they were awesome? They caused a huge stir of panic in the Nid lines and they took pressure off of my gunline. They managed to snipe a few wounded targets and earn me some more points as well. Overall, I am very pleased with them and I look forward to trying different things. I proxied the models since I don't have any, so maybe a Vulture conversion would be in order... Any tips on modeling these guys? I really don't like adding wings to things. I don't know why, but I don't like it! I am planning on including some Gue'Vesa stand in's for something, so maybe for these guys. Hmm...(looks in bitz box)

Yeah, the Great Knarlocs really lived up to that name in the match. At the end of the game, one was at full strength and the other had one wound left. I was very pleased, but I know they just got lucky. I proxied them as well and would love a Great Knarloc model, but I can't see me using one for anything but paintings sake. So I will leave them out right now.

I've equipped my Commander with AFP and Plasma, removed the Knarlocs and added the Fireknifes so I am going to try that out next against a Tau opponent. We'll see how it goes!

Turbo_MMX
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#67 » Sep 04 2008 08:26

Wolfs16 wrote:You know, I think the mount you used for the Commander should stay only for him. It makes him stand out and it looks really powerful. Maybe the new Dark Elf Cold One's I've been hearing about.

Yeah Ive been thinking about them. Ive started the conversion for the Knarloc Riders using the old Cold ones and Kroot ox heads, Im tossing up if i want to use them for the conversion or not. However another idea would be (as you said) the new cold ones or even the Daemonett Rider mounts with a Kroot hound head n then add some front arms(sorta looks like a smaller scale version of the Master shapers mount) http://uk.games-workshop.com/chaosspace ... emonettes/

The obvious conversion would be to use the Forgeworld Knarloc Riders for Battle suits (as was done for the Prey species army) However im already using the Knarloc riders to represent Baggage Knarlocs. So if i had a different model to use for them then i would be set.

so maybe a Vulture conversion would be in order... Any tips on modeling these guys? I really don't like adding wings to things. I don't know why, but I don't like it! I am planning on including some Gue'Vesa stand in's for something, so maybe for these guys. Hmm...(looks in bitz box)

You could always try some Kasrkin with Marine jump packs for your vespid? Or even just plastic cadians with some kind of Jump pack conversion? Vultures are fairly simple to make, as you said you just need to add Wings to Kroot. Just need to pick the type of wings you want to use. You should try looking at Mage Knight or some of the "Clix" range. They have some good wings that should be farily cheap to get in large ammounts.

I like the theme of your army too. Should lend itself to some very cool conversions. You just need to remember that Kroot Shapers generaly keep their Kindred away from eating Nids. This is because Nids have so much extra DNA floating around inside their systems they over power the Kroots natural ability to filter and adapt the specifit features and the Nid DNA takes them over.

Ah yes, ya gotta love it

stillfrosty
Kroot

Post#68 » Sep 04 2008 09:54

Well for kroot you have a few options of making vultures I found.

a) The suggested way is to use harppy wings and though you don't like wings they are pretty easy to work with and if you decided to go down this route I have a whole slew of wings that I never used.
b) The way I used was as turbo mention I went tyranid and used gargoyle wings. The are definetly bigger and you have to pin them on and do a few cuts here or there to make them work but they look awesome. Just be careful no to make the model top heavy, it sucks trying to fix that.
c) Another method as mentioned is space marine jump packs, and though I have only seen this once, it looked pretty cool and it is the easiest to do out of all the ideas.
d) What I used for my Kroot Renegades is the old tau stealth suit jump packs. They fit to the contour of the back and they are pretty cool looking. However they are a bit small and hard to get a hold of.
e) Well if you really want to spend some money, you could buy the new plastic stealth suits and use their jump packs. They are the proper size and also perfectly fit to the contour of the back though it costs 20 dollars for 3 and you have to convert them.
f) you could use ork jet packs and that would probably be an easier way of getting hold of them though I have no idea how they would look.

Those are just some ideas I had so hopefully this helped!

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#69 » Sep 18 2008 04:23

Hey Turbo_MMX, just thought I'd mention what happened in that match I was going to have awhile back. It was Kroot vs. Tau. We were playing a Seize Ground mission and I was able to score 2 objectives and contest one, while my opponent scored 1 objective and contested another. We had a Dawn of War deployment (which I hate).

Run down of highlights:
My Commander duked it out with the enemy Shas'el which was equipped the same, but of course not an O. Once again, my Commander made some bad saves and it ended up killing the enemy Commander, only to be blown apart by some Deathrains. Oh well, it was a fun little fight! The loadout of AFP and Plasma was okay. I was not impressed by either and I think he would have been better used as anti-armor by giving him a Fusion Blaster. I am going to try Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle and Missile Pod next game vs. Tyranid and see how it goes.

The Fireknives did their job, but were not really that stellar. They ended up getting shot quicker than I would have liked. They didn't seem to have the support that they needed to fulfill their role and I question their fit in this army.

The Krootox units did a really good job holding up enemy fire. They didn't do much damage in return, which I was dissapointed in. However, the biggest moment was when I noticed my opponent sneaking his Devilfish toward an object that was out of my reach. He left it out in the open, knowing that my Broadsides could not get LOS from their position, even after movement. So it came down to a Krootox Squad who was taking cover behind a building (the building could only hold 10 inside and they numbered 13). Everyone missed except for one Kroot Gun, which penetrated the side armor and gave a Wrecked result on the damage table. That one succes assured me the game.

The Broadsides functioned okay. They managed to do their share of damage, but they never did enough damage to vehicles. I seemed to roll nothing but 1's and 2's on the Vehicle chart with them. One of my Broadsides got splattered by an enemy Broadside who manged to get a completely clear shot from the end of the table. I was shocked! And if it wasn't for my Krootox, the undefended objective would have been ripe for the enemy Devilfish.

The large Hound squad did nothing for most of the game, until the enemy pushed to get to the objective the Devilsfish was trying to reach. They assaulted the second Devilfish and managed to bring it down! They tied up the passengers and were able to cause enough confusion to allow me to secure the objective for myself. I still have a hard time using them, but the usually come through in the end.

The Vespid were a huge dissapointment this game. I tried Deep Strking them behind enemy lines so that they can get the jump on the enemy, do some damage and hopefully survive the return fire (I love the new cover saves!) or do a little damage in Assault. But they hardly did any damage to the enemy and ended up getting smeared in return. I think I need to use them differently. Any tips?

I can see that the list lacks some good AP and definitley needs more long range weapons. I am thinking of including some Deathrain, but I am not sure what to add for more AP. I want to use Deathrain since they would fit a little more into my fluff. Being that Deathrain usually operate in the back of the battle field, they would have been the most likely to survive when the front lines started getting ripped up. I'm thinking Plasma, but part of me wants to throw a Burst cannon on there. What do you think? (I plan on converting some Crisis Suits by ysing Kroot and Cold Ones. That is, once I buy some Cold Ones :P )

What do you think about Devilfish, too much Tau? I really want to try something unconventional, but I do miss using my favorite Skimmer!

So all in all, a victory, but I barely won it. If my rolls wouldn't have been lucky, he would have knocked me out with his Devilfish and Railhead. I am not giving up on the Kroot yet though, I am a believer!

Turbo_MMX
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#70 » Oct 05 2008 09:35

Howdy all.

Been quite a while since I’ve done and update. I’ve been fairly busy trying to get my Other armies into order.

One such army is my Ork Bike themed force. Since the Black Reach box sets came out I’ve been picking up spare Deff Koptas every chance I can! (I own 21 so far!! They are just so cool :D) But one of the first thoughts I had when I saw them was... hmmm The Kroot need of them.

So now they do (sorry about the bad webcam pics, a friend has my cam.)

This is my Take on a Kroot Piranha. Its still very wip, but i spent ages cutting and grinding the Ork driver out and then filling the seat with green stuff! Im not sure what to do about the gun drone ports, but what i might do is just add a 2nd weapon and make it a Piranha Tx-42 version :)

Ill get some better pics once I have my Camera back.
What do you think?

Ah yes, ya gotta love it

stillfrosty
Kroot

Re: Kroot Auxiliary Corps WIP (Oct 6 - Kroot Kopta!!)

Post#71 » Oct 06 2008 12:04

This is still like the coolest idea ever. I am so going to have to steal this idea and work with it for my army as it is so fitting.

As I mentioned to you I would just go with something hanging off the skies and go from there with the drones.

Make sure you get better pictures as well!!!!

*ponders at the sight of 15 of those on the table....*

Helios

Re: Kroot Auxiliary Corps WIP (Oct 6 - Kroot Kopta!!)

Post#72 » Oct 06 2008 01:27

You know what else they could be? Kroot Tetras :crafty: that would be sweet.

Return to “Project Logs”