Zealot Miniatures' Spined Hounds [Kroot Hounds]

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Zealot Miniatures' Spined Hounds [Kroot Hounds]

Post#1 » Feb 01 2017 02:49

Product: Spined Hounds x3 (Ltd Ed 250)

Item: ZM_3035

Price: £14.99 [for a pack of 3]

From their website's description:

"Sometimes a regular dog just isn't a nasty enough for some warriors! Ditch the Pit-bulls and Alsatians and instead make sure you have a pack of Spined Hounds at your heels
This set contains 3 dynamic Spined Hounds and plain bases.
Limited edition of just 250 castings. (17/1/17 90 remaining sets)
Sculpted by Alexei Popovici, cast in Resin at 30mm scale"

I personally love these models. Their details are crisp and sharp compared to GW's Kroot Hounds.

There are 3 poses [leaping, running, and butt sniffing] and I think each come with 2 heads [closed jaw and opened jaw]. They are limited to 250 castings which are released in batches. As of today [2/1/2017] there are 90 sets left to be casted. I bought mine off a guy on eBay whom I think bought a bunch of sets and is slowly posting them at a higher price. I think I paid like $40 for the 3 pack and $12 for a single one before that.

Someone in a different review online said the ZM Hounds look bigger and beefier and that is true. The ZM Hounds are 30mm scale vs the GW 28mm scale. The muscle definition is also more defined on the ZM sculpts.

Although, when you field them all together, one can barely tell the difference.

I recommend these to anyone who does not want all the same sculpts for their packs of Kroot Hounds. Its nice to have a variety in sculpts and poses. The end. :D
Last edited by Icknaybob on Feb 01 2017 06:20, edited 2 times in total.

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: Zealot Miniatures' Spined Hiounds [Kroot Hounds]

Post#2 » Feb 01 2017 02:53

If I ever decide to put Kroot Hounds in my Kroot Unit or to use them in HoR Killteam i'm sure as hell gonna get one of these...but that won't be anytime soon i fear. :D

kak'ray
Shas'Saal

Re: Zealot Miniatures' Spined Hounds [Kroot Hounds]

Post#3 » Feb 01 2017 07:20

Shame I missed these as all gone now. :sad:

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Feb 01 2017 08:42

kak'ray wrote:Shame I missed these as all gone now. :sad:

Check eBay.

Issendror
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 02 2017 12:00

That's a closer image of a hunting pack. Great variation.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Feb 02 2017 05:54

I'd get some, but them being "limited" puts me off. I hate that kind of none sense!

Macknight
Shas'La

Post#7 » Feb 03 2017 06:16

I saw that ebay auction, did some research to see if its legit GW or FW, its not. The models are great, even if at 30mm scale rather than 28mm heroic. The listed price $45 for 3 hounds, if I remember correctly puts me off for a model that is 3rd party limited cast. Especially for models that GW or FW already produce.
For the greater good!

Gragagrogog
Shas'La

Post#8 » May 18 2017 05:43

I just looked and it seems they still have some in stock now. So the "limited to 250 castings" means once per few months 250 castings, don't buy them overpriced off of ebay I guess...

Return to “Reviews”