The Greater Evil

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
Panzer
Shas'Saal

The Greater Evil

Post#1 » Nov 13 2017 06:14

Huh, that one came a bit unexpected.
I guess I'm going to give it a read later today and see if it's worth the €3.49.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/the-greater-evil-eshort.html?utm_source=WarhammerCommunity&utm_medium=Post&utm_content=BLDigMonNov13

THE STORY wrote:In the far reaches of the Damocles Gulf, an expedition of the T'au Empire heads for the system known to the Imperium as Yuxa, there to bring the influence of the Greater Good to humanity – and investigate the reappearance of a Water Caste ambassador thought lost years before. Joined by a mysterious Ethereal and defended by gue'vesa auxiliaries – soldiers once of mankind's Imperium, now devoted to the Greater Good – the expedition's leader expects a trap/ But what he finds may just change his perceptions of the galaxy.

Written by Peter Fehervari

Rizzle
Kor'La
Kor'La

Re: The Greater Evil

Post#2 » Nov 13 2017 06:44

Well this is exciting!

Purely from the overlay of the cogwork teeth and with the Tau sept iconography, I wonder if we'll be picking up on some of the threads left exposed by Magos Caul's actions in the Vanguard short. This snippet from the Warhammer Community blog suggests it will slot in with some of Peter's (excellent!) previous work:

For a few years now, Peter Fehervari has been steadily building up his own little corner of the Imperium across novels and short stories, and today we add another chapter to his ongoing tale of conflict between the T’au Empire and the Imperium of Man.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 13 2017 12:24

exciting, I love getting more T'au lore, but has anyone read it yet? I am considering getting the book but what mostly interests me is if there is sign of T'au possibly getting tainted by chaos (or worshipping it off their own will) which would support my plan to do fun Khorne T'au conversion (I think it would just look great and that justifies it for me :D)

the title seems to suggest some kind of twist like that, though its also seems as a misleading title

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 13 2017 01:22

Guess I'll have to wait until I can get it from "somewhere" else since I don't have a credit card and just like Limited Edition books the epubs are only available when paying with one. :dead:

szeszej
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 13 2017 03:08

So gue'vesa units in the new codex confirmed? :D

Val'Sitsor
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 13 2017 03:44

Just finished reading it. Huh, long awaited Return To Tau by Peter Fehervari. Truth be told, I already gave up waiting for this story - I really thought that it would come out together with our codex. What a surprise.
First of all it is not really "short" story. And as expected from Mr. Fehervari - a good one.
I got just two reason to complain. First - while it significantly larger than typical short story, it is muuuuuuuuuuuuuch shorter than I want it to be. It would be the first time in my life when open ending caught me off-guard.
The second one I leave aside for the time being - it's about Dark Coil related stuff and it's very likely that I just didn't understand from the first (and very rushed) reading.
What I appreciated the most is duality with which Fehervari describes Tau. It really rivals The Broken Sword – the best example this far. For instance – here we will find out that gue’vesa (at least one that undertake military service) undertake influence of some mental technics (like constantly reading mantras) when they are integraited into Tau'Va. But considering things which character who told this went through it looks like measure to treat PTSD more than to enforce loyalty. Moreover, tau teach gue’vesa this mental technic and in the end, the combination of this mental practices and ritual from his former life is what saved the character from fate worse than death (it was very beautiful detail). It leaves us with interesting moral question – where lies the border between restoring of mental health and brainwashing for Greater Good?
Different tau have different views on gue’vesa and it is good.
Depiction of Etherial win me over without a doubt. Very… balanced I should say.
The composition of the story is beautiful, thematic and symbolic. But this was given, it is Fehervari we talking about. Buuuuuuut ending… urgh, this painful void that was left in its place.
Anyway, I hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I do. And I should start thinking about what to write in review…

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Nov 14 2017 03:52

In case someone is interested in a more detailed summary, someone wrote one on B&C (all in spoiler tags, so no worries clicking on the link if you don't want to get spoilered).
I'd copy&paste it here but I didn't ask for permission so this'll have to do.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/341295-novel-the-greater-evil/?p=4931712

ErSe0831
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Nov 16 2017 01:54

Just finished reading it, I particularly liked the numerous character angles in the storytelling. One section I didn't quite get. Could someone please explain this segment to me? :?

Spoiler!
How he has changed, she mused. He looks younger than he–
Bright light flashed into her face, breaking the fascination. Abruptly Fai’sahl was gone and a hollowed out, predatory thing sat in his place, appraising her with hungry eyes.
‘Forgive me, por’el,’ the Seeker said from the seat beside the apparition. He extinguished his helmet light – and with it the horror. ‘I fear my helm has developed an error.’

Is the Seeker performing some kind of mindtrick on Adibh?

Also if I want to read some more detailed crisis suit battles, which book would be good? :)

Val'Sitsor
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Nov 16 2017 02:43

ErSe0831 wrote:
Is the Seeker performing some kind of mindtrick on Adibh?

Personally, as I understand this it was backward. Fai’sahl, or should I say "Broodmind" who act through him performed some kind of mindtrick on her and when Seeker broke this charm with his helmet light it created some kind of backlash. After all, Seeker himself didn't know truth about genestealer cult yet, he just probably felt that Adibh was under some influence.
As for Fai’sahl, as far as I understand Broodmind tried to turn him in something like proto-magus as much as possible for tau, who has week connection to the warp. He wasn't very effective in this role, but considering that Broodmind had to work with tau genes I should give him credit even for that.

Val'Sitsor
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Nov 20 2017 03:03

Hey, guys, do you remember this mysterious tau from Fire Caste?

Strangest of all, he had once encountered a lone tau warrior wandering the jungle in a hulking battlesuit. Judging by the cracks riddling its tarnished ceramic plates the armour had seen better days, but it was easily capable of annihilating Gurdjief, so he had offered no hostility. Instead he had tried to make sense of the mystery. The suit was painted a mottled crimson, a colour at odds with Wintertide’s stark whites and midnight blacks. Gurdjief had no idea what faction the alien belonged to, but the five-flanged sunburst adorning its breastplate looked like personal heraldry, identifying its wearer as a warrior of distinction.
They had talked like fellow pilgrims, sharing tales and striving to map the impossible geometries of the Coil. The xenos was a soldier like himself, lost in time and place but still true to the mission that had led him into the wilderness. He had been vague about that mission, but so far as Gurdjief could make out he was hunting a band of traitors he called ‘The Canker Eaters’.
‘The savages turned on us and slaughtered my comrades,’ the warrior said. ‘They devoured our flesh.’
‘Yet you survived?’
‘I… Yes… I survived. It must be so,’ but the xenos had seemed uncertain.
When Gurdjief had politely enquired about his caste, already knowing he must be a Fire Warrior, the tau had become confused. Finally he had answered ‘Smoke’.

There is the description of Shas’el from Greater Evil.

Akuryo’s mottled crimson armour bore a five-armed sunburst on its breastplate – personal colours and heraldry granted to him when he’d earned his rank.

What a tragic fate. Survive genestiller infested hive only to became an ethernal wanderer on Phaedra…..

Return to “Reviews”