[Review] 28mm & 54mm Bits from Paulson Games

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

[Review] 28mm & 54mm Bits from Paulson Games

Post#1 » Sep 19 2011 04:49

In today’s bitz market, there are several companies who have taken to producing weapons or gear that can be used on a variety of miniatures. One of those companies is out very own Paulson Games. So I decided to take a look at some of the 28mm and 54mm parts he has available.

First, let’s take a look at some stuff that would be very useful for Tau army.

Compared to other Tau weapons, these bits match up really well. They share similar designs and look nicely proportioned to other Tau weapons. Here are two quick examples on some of my suits.

The underslung rifle would look great on a standard XV8 arm and would even work well on the XV9 arms. I would suggest on a standard XV8 that you rotate the forearm to attach, with the palm facing down. You can make it fit even over the shoulder! Granted, these work better for shoulder mounts:

Are these large? Yes. But they would make a sweet Broadside conversion and can be used as a count-as weapon for any other Tau armament. I think I am going to use these in a Tau Kill Team I am developing.

As you guys know, I also have Space Marines. I have been struggling to find a good Storm Shield that is not a giant cross and Paulson has two great alternatives.

These are the perfect scale for a Terminator and don’t obscure the detail on the model. In addition, they are somewhat plain, which allows for easy placement of Chapter symbols or even personal heraldry. I fancy the round shields the most because of the ribbed details on the sides. It just looks more techy to me.

Of course, since these bits are not designed for Games Workshop models, you have to do some cutting. Here is the back of the shields:

To attach a Storm Shield hand, I simply clipped off the handle and then attached the hand which I had carefully cut out from the GW bit.

So these fantastic alternatives make for a unique army and allow for easy conversion. But there are also weapons! Here is an example of three, compared with a GW bit for scale:

So these weapons look like perfect alternatives to the standard GW power weapon. I plan on cutting off the heads of some of those hammers and using them as Thunder Hammers for some variety. I also think the spear would look awesome with one of those round shields!

As for quality, these bits are superb. Here is a shot of the flash on a shield, compared to one I had cleaned up:

Of course, cleaning flash is part of our hobby, but the flash on these things was minimal and very easy to scrap off with a file and/or a hobby knife. There was no warped or damaged parts and the casting was very smooth with no air bubbles (I hate air bubbles!). Of course, washing with soap is always a good idea, but so far these things look MUCH cleaner than some Forgeworld bits which seem covered in release agent. On and I know some people are concerned about resin being brittle. Well these things are sturdy and could take a bit of bending without snapping.

So all in all, I recommend these bits for their easy of cleanup and their ability to fit the style of many miniature lines with little alteration. Check ‘em out!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: [Review] 28mm & 54mm Bits from Paulson Games

Post#2 » Sep 19 2011 05:59

I can personally vouch for the quality of Paulson Games' products from even before he revamped his operation! I had bought a pair of the long-barrel railguns for a Broadside conversion, and I was very pleased at how little flash there was-as well as how easy to cut/pin, light, and surprisingly durable the resin he uses is. I've seen Tyranids equipped with his style of Bio-Swords before as well, and they blended into the model very well. With only a few exceptions (Chaos and Orks, the latter of which already have enough fan-made conversion kits, wink wink), he seems to have a little of everything for 40k players and for hobbyists/gamers in general.

I think Fry sums it up quite nicely, though... "Take my money already" (and, that's a no on large loud images) - T.

I really don't see how that image was large OR loud, unless youre screen resolution's at 200.100 or something...
Last edited by Orpheus Hangar on Sep 21 2011 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Sep 19 2011 07:23

I've been excited about Paulson Games' product for a long time. I'm just waiting for the missile launchers to be ready and I'm planning a sizable order to make up for the total lack of Broadside kits available for sale around here.

paulson games
Shas

Post#4 » Sep 19 2011 08:50

Thanks guys :) I always like to hear when people are happy with the stuff they get and I always consider the suggestions I get.

I'm usually tied up with the daily grind of casting and don't have enough time for developing new parts at a rate I'd be happy with. But I'm working on improving that.

The missile launchers are just about done, I'm just finishing up on a battle mech project and as soon as that's out of the way I'll be working on the molds for the launchers.

Also in regards to the shields, the hands on most models will fit inside the handle supports on a few models I've converted I cut out the center part of the grip but leave the upper and lower support in place. (at least on standard scale infantry) A few of my friends have also used them to convert light warjacks for warmachine and they look pretty decent.

I didn't design them with any specific game in mind just aiming to make general purpose items.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Return to “Reviews”