[Review] Aluminum Flight Base Stems

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
Daedalus Nix
Shas

[Review] Aluminum Flight Base Stems

Post#1 » Aug 10 2012 09:47

(for a more graphic-intensive review check out this post on my blog. Wordpress starts killing my images if I link to them too much :/)

So while hunting about for various alternatives to flight stands, and never really happy with what I can find with various options being too ugly, too work intensive, or too expensive I was about to settle with just constantly building new flight stands and shelling out cash to GW incessantly.

They come in a nice little pack, zip locked and a very nice and readable tag which is obviously designed for a storefront. The rear has a brief description as well as a disclaimer about putting them in your nose.

As far as usability of them vs. the stock GW ones, they are dead on par with GW in my experience. The bottom part of the peg fits rather snugly (and without need for glue) into the GW base.

As you can see, they fit into the models with no more and no less consternation than a normal flight stand. They’re as snug or as wobbly as an acrylic one, so be warned there either way. For my vehicles it’s not that much of an issue. For drones they’re a bit wobbly depending on the drone but, again exactly on par with the plastic ones.

The peg itself is VERY sturdy – I’ve tried bending it a bit already with my hands, and not a inch of give. It is also incredibly light weight, and they almost feel lighter than the acrylic ones.

However the thing I love the absolute MOST is that the shiny metal is very reflective, allowing it to blend in a bit more with the background (though not as well as a clear acrylic one – but hey). Overall the best absolute feature is the sturdiness.

As for my recommendation? Let me put it like this: I don’t think I’ll be using these for my drones but I will be kitting out everything else I have with them.

[spoiler="The Original Post"]I was trying to find a cheap source for some large base skimmer stands, and I happened across This ebay store

I placed an order for a set of 3 of the 3/4" ones for my Hammerhead/Skyray tanks which have all broken off at the hull. Once I get them in I'll do a write up & review here as an edit :)[/spoiler]
Last edited by Daedalus Nix on Aug 14 2012 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

indigoon
Shas

Re: Aluminum Flight Base Stems

Post#2 » Aug 11 2012 12:05

Very interested to see how these work out for you, man I am sick of my plastic ones breaking and wire just looks ugly.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#3 » Aug 14 2012 01:02

Great idea and worthy of being put in the modelling section permanently.

Please keep us appraised as to how this develops.

-Tael.

Daedalus Nix
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 14 2012 10:27

For the tl;dr crowd: They look good, work great, and are as sturdy as aluminum rods.

I love them, and will be kitting all my skimmers with them as soon as I can afford to.

Return to “Reviews”