[Review] Veteran Ranger "Big Shas"

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

[Review] Veteran Ranger "Big Shas"

Post#1 » Aug 07 2015 11:19

Veteran Firewarrior
Supplier: Wargame Exclusive

Required skill level: Beginner

General overview: Ordering online was simple.
Payment is by Paypal only and at this time the cost was €14.99 each (Cadre Fireblade from GW £12).
Delivery was fast and tracked parcel as standard, well packed and reasonably priced. Orders over €300 ship for free.

The parts are delivered off the sprue as shown in the following photos.
Overall quality is great.
Material: polyurethane resin.
Detailing is good with very, very small amounts of clean up required.

Note: includes detailed base (25mm)

Scaling:
The model is larger than the standard Firewarrior but this is no great disadvantage as it will help the model to stand out as a character, plus with the base being sculptured, he stands even higher but the base could be filed down to reduce the overall height.

ImageImage

Backpack/Jump pack:

Base:

Twin linked Rail Carbine:

Shoulder pad:

Painted in my Cadre colours and with the addition of a new left hand and hollowed out helmet from a Firewarrior.

Conclusion: Would make a great alternative Cadre Fireblade even allowing for the larger scaling.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: [Review] Veteran Ranger "Big Shas"

Post#2 » Aug 07 2015 11:43

Thanks for this! I saw that model and I couldn't make the jump for it yet. maybe in a little while...

My biggest issue is his weapon. It matches Shas'la Kais perfect, but just about nothing else in our codex. How easy do you think it would be to give him a different weapon (or replace his hand for that matter) given his increased size?

Myrdin
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 07 2015 11:58

Wow NICE CATCH Elmo !

I am always looking for some unique characters that can add a little bit of flavor to my armies. This web shop sure has some very neat sculpts. Thanks for bringing it out here to our attention ! Tau´Va

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#4 » Aug 07 2015 03:43

@sky, looking at the weapon I would suggest keeping the hand and cutting the weapon off above it then gluing the replacement on to it to keep the hands the same size.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#5 » Aug 07 2015 03:45

Nice model (and this one without recasted parts, as I saw on the tau pinup back when they were ebay sellers...)

My issue is the aliasing effect on flat parts. They gone a little cheap on the 3D printed master.
I hope these lines disappear with the paintjob.

Oh, and for the size: it match a size of a SpaceTauMarine (The XV25 and XV22 were also a little too tall for the Fire Caste and better match the Air Caste size)

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#6 » Aug 08 2015 01:21

Actually, given this guy is larger, has a jump pack, and carries a twin "carbine", I think he's intended as a Shadowsun counts-as.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#7 » Aug 08 2015 02:14

Orpheus Hangar wrote:Actually, given this guy is larger, has a jump pack, and carries a twin "carbine", I think he's intended as a Shadowsun counts-as.

That may be, but the original work doesn't even have that double-rail gun.
http://redisoj.deviantart.com/art/warha ... -321656248
A member of the facebook group has claimed that Wargames Exclusives has, uh, appropriated the artwork of many different individuals and produced sculpts without the permission of the original "concept" artist. I'm not sure how legit that claim is.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#8 » Aug 08 2015 02:37

Good catch. As someone (I assume you) has already notified the original artist of this being almost exactly a copy of their artwork we should wait to see if it was authorized or not.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#9 » Aug 08 2015 07:37

SinisterSamurai wrote:That may be, but the original work doesn't even have that double-rail gun.
A member of the facebook group has claimed that Wargames Exclusives has, uh, appropriated the artwork of many different individuals and produced sculpts without the permission of the original "concept" artist. I'm not sure how legit that claim is.

The tau sniper pinup and other concepts are also "borrowed" from another artist (9th-max on DA, NSFW link, so search it yourself) and since there are no credits of the original drawing on the seller website, I wonder if they get in touch with the pics artists.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#10 » Sep 18 2015 11:18

Kael'yn wrote:My issue is the aliasing effect on flat parts. They gone a little cheap on the 3D printed master.
I hope these lines disappear with the paintjob.

Initial post edited with painted model. I hope this clears up your worries :)

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#11 » Sep 18 2015 11:20

Looks amazing. Is that a standard FW helmet or did you have to upscale it? That was one of my concerns.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#12 » Sep 18 2015 11:27

It is a standard one just hollowed out with a Dremmel. It could be a little larger but you don't really notice it as it is so far away from his head ;)

Return to “Reviews”