[Review] Red Dog Miniatures Ion Weapons - Fantastic Models!

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

[Review] Red Dog Miniatures Ion Weapons - Fantastic Models!

Post#1 » Oct 29 2017 05:15

I just got my order of Red Dog Miniatures' "Ion Energy Blasters" in the mail. For anyone interested, I'd just like to comment on just how fantastic the casts are. They make excellent stand-ins for Cyclic Ion Blasters, and personally I think they look better than Games Workshop's own models.

The parts themselves are very finely-detailed, and made of a durable, hard resin. However, they're not too heavy either. The casting is very smooth and the panel lines and curves are very clean.

As you can see I haven't cleaned up the backs yet, but each piece is absolutely identical. The set is absolutely uniform, quality control is absolutely amazing.

The barrels already have holes in them, and the parts are fairly narrow, keeping with the aesthetic of the other XV8 weapons.

Anyway, consider this post my endorsement of Red Dog Miniatures' parts! These weapons aren't the first things I've ordered, and the quality always is top-notch.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: Red Dog Miniatures Ion Weapons - Fantastic Models!

Post#2 » Oct 29 2017 05:35

Thanks for the review Arka0415 :)

Moved to Reviews

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: [Review] Red Dog Miniatures Ion Weapons - Fantastic Models!

Post#3 » Oct 29 2017 05:53

Yeah I could get on board with the new design of his if shipping to EU wouldn't be so expensive.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Oct 29 2017 06:32

El'mo wrote:Thanks for the review Arka0415 :)

Moved to Reviews

Ha, I've been around this site for a while and never noticed the Reviews section. Thanks!

Panzer wrote:Yeah I could get on board with the new design of his if shipping to EU wouldn't be so expensive.

Are there some additional shipping fees? I live in Japan and got 12.00 USD shipping. Great deal for me.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Oct 29 2017 06:36

Arka0415 wrote:
Panzer wrote:Yeah I could get on board with the new design of his if shipping to EU wouldn't be so expensive.

Are there some additional shipping fees? I live in Japan and got 12.00 USD shipping. Great deal for me.

I do think 12USD is a lot for shipping just a few bitz lol

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Oct 29 2017 06:43

Panzer wrote:I do think 12USD is a lot for shipping just a few bitz lol

Compared to hunting for CIBs on eBay for months and months, and paying shipping for each bit individually? I'd say 12.00 USD is a steal! Though remember that Red Dog offers free shipping if you buy a certain amount of bitz, and given how many Cyclic Ion Blasters we all need, that just might do the trick.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 29 2017 06:51

Arka0415 wrote:
Panzer wrote:I do think 12USD is a lot for shipping just a few bitz lol

Compared to hunting for CIBs on eBay for months and months, and paying shipping for each bit individually? I'd say 12.00 USD is a steal! Though remember that Red Dog offers free shipping if you buy a certain amount of bitz, and given how many Cyclic Ion Blasters we all need, that just might do the trick.

That's why I don't do that either! :P
Just because the alternative is bad doesn't mean it's good. Just a bit better.
Anyway I gonna wait for the Codex before I spend so much money on weapon bitz. So far my Flamer Crisis are good enough. ^^

stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Oct 29 2017 08:35

Arka, they don’t know the struggle. $12 is nothing for us expats used to 25, sometimes 50 bucks on shipping

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Oct 29 2017 09:30

stayhandsome wrote:Arka, they don’t know the struggle. $12 is nothing for us expats used to 25, sometimes 50 bucks on shipping

You in Japan too? I basically jumped at the chance to get $12 shipping. With eBay's new (-ish) Global Shipping program, shipping something as simple as a couple of Shield Drones costs around $20. It's crazy. Shipping from China or Taiwan isn't bad though.

stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Oct 29 2017 11:35

Arka0415 wrote:You in Japan too? I basically jumped at the chance to get $12 shipping. With eBay's new (-ish) Global Shipping program, shipping something as simple as a couple of Shield Drones costs around $20. It's crazy. Shipping from China or Taiwan isn't bad though.

Yes I am indeed.

pek
Shas

Post#11 » Oct 30 2017 12:11

I absolutely agree. I bought a bunch and got them shipped to Sweden. This for a reasonable price as well. Really recommend these.

Ozzie_prime
Shas

Post#12 » Nov 04 2017 09:01

Thank you Arka for the review !

I have to admit those ionic weapons look very cool :smile:

Can I ask you a photo of both the GW one and the red dog one side by side ?
I would like to see the differences in height and broadness if possible

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Nov 04 2017 09:16

Ozzie_prime wrote:Can I ask you a photo of both the GW one and the red dog one side by side ?
I would like to see the differences in height and broadness if possible

I wish I could! I'm an old-school player, I only have the old metal CIBs which look very different. Sorry!

Though, I bet someone else on ATT would be happy to post a comparison photo!

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Nov 14 2017 02:50

Ozzie_prime wrote:Can I ask you a photo of both the GW one and the red dog one side by side ?

Here's a picture of one alongside a GW CIB:

As for the shipping cost, it's priced as low as possible since we are already charging less than what it actually costs. Actual cost for international postage for a package weighing 3oz starts at $12.80 not including the cost of the box or the label which places it around $13.50 per package so we're actually taking a small loss with each international order which I don't mind because we're trying to help players get their items at a reasonable price.

There's free shipping on orders of $60, which roughly equates to taking 20-25% of the total order and quite frequently on smaller orders we toss in a few extras as a random thank you. We don't have to do that, but we realize that yes it's expensive to order internationally but we can't do anything about the postage pricing as that's determined by the government. It's every bit as expensive for me to order FW and have it shipped to the US but to qualify for their free shipping I 'd have to spend $325+ not $60. I think the majority of people with experience buying things from thousands of miles away understand the difficulties and expenses involved and hopefully those customers see that we're trying to do what we can to mitigate those costs as much as possible. We do everything we can to keep our customers happy as they're the ones that make our business possible. (Thank You guys & gals for all the past support)

Unfortunately there's always a few people like Panzer who will always feel the need to complain about something regardless of the situation. Even if we could magically teleport it through the screen for free there'd still be some other random reason for them to be toxic and unhappy, if it's not the cost it's the speed of delivery, the style of the part, or the color of the sky, etc. ::Shrug::

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Nov 14 2017 03:28

Paulson wrote:Unfortunately there's always a few people like Panzer who will always feel the need to complain about something regardless of the situation. Even if we could magically teleport it through the screen for free there'd still be some other random reason for them to be toxic and unhappy, if it's not the cost it's the speed of delivery, the style of the part, or the color of the sky, etc. ::Shrug::

Now that'a what I'd call unneccessary and unprofessional. It's a valid complain from a potential customer. If I weren't interested in the product I wouldn't have bothered to check the shipping cost. I also don't know about your situation in detail but I wouldn't call it expensive if I hadn't already ordered things from the US with less shipping.

If I had any intent of buying something from you despite the cost and the design not matching my taste 100% then it's gone now after calling me out like that. This is definitely NOT how you handle feedback.

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Nov 14 2017 04:45

Panzer wrote:
Paulson wrote:Unfortunately there's always a few people like Panzer who will always feel the need to complain about something regardless of the situation. Even if we could magically teleport it through the screen for free there'd still be some other random reason for them to be toxic and unhappy, if it's not the cost it's the speed of delivery, the style of the part, or the color of the sky, etc. ::Shrug::

Now that'a what I'd call unneccessary and unprofessional. It's a valid complain from a potential customer. If I weren't interested in the product I wouldn't have bothered to check the shipping cost. I also don't know about your situation in detail but I wouldn't call it expensive if I hadn't already ordered things from the US with less shipping.

If I had any intent of buying something from you despite the cost and the design not matching my taste 100% then it's gone now after calling me out like that. This is definitely NOT how you handle feedback.

It's not about just this thread, it's been going on for years. Anytime I make posts on ATT or other people post about my stuff you offer up either a complaint or a backhanded compliment and frankly I'm tired of it which is why I'm calling you on it. That's fine if you don't like my stuff but you don't have to actively be rude or negative about it whenever it's posted, just keep the passive-aggressive comments to yourself and refrain from posting.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Nov 14 2017 05:11

Paulson wrote:
Panzer wrote:

It's not about just this thread, it's been going on for years. Anytime I make posts on ATT or other people post about my stuff you offer up either a complaint or a backhanded compliment and frankly I'm tired of it which is why I'm calling you on it. That's fine if you don't like my stuff but you don't have to actively be rude or negative about it whenever it's posted, just keep the passive-aggressive comments to yourself and refrain from posting.

For years? Unlikely, i'm not that long active here even. I'm not actively rude or negative about your stuff but it seems you can't take negative feedback all that well.
I won't stop posting just because you don't like what I write. Just use the ignore function or scroll past my posts if it's too much for you to handle.
Anyway, extremely unprofessional.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#18 » Nov 14 2017 10:07

Enough. Continued discussion in this vein will result in the thread being locked.

-shasocastris

Return to “Reviews”