Kit Review Site [Updated]

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
P'Shar's Rifles
Kor'O
Kor'O

Re: Kit Review Site Online!

Post#55 » Oct 31 2008 08:00

ALF wrote:with Fireboard shaping up.. soon you won't need anything else to manage a website. Don't get me wrong.. there are a lot of other Great CMS scripts out there.. just none as user friendly as Joomla.

Thanks for the Compliments on the site!

Yeah, I've been with Joomla from way back, too. Those early version were a bit clunky, but it just kept getting better. 1.5 is slick, and easier for our content folks to use. Thanks for the tip on Fireboard, too. It looks pretty sweet and I'd love a truly integrated forum solution for our company site.

ALF
Shas

Post#56 » Nov 01 2008 06:29

the only current fallback of Fireboard is the lack of PM system (they are currently working on one though) and the clugey way permissions work.. but soone it will be a full fledged solution.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#57 » Nov 02 2008 05:51

ALF, I'd like to ask if we can directly link your website in our Hobby section? I think it would be a worthy resource for Tau hobbyists :)

~ Tael

ALF
Shas

Post#58 » Nov 03 2008 06:10

That would be nice 'Tael.. Thanks

lilgrim13
Shas

Post#59 » Nov 03 2008 06:38

I must say I love the site!! The second I saw it, it went straight for my bookmarks. You are a great reviewer and I love reading all of them. Good luck!!

p.s I must say you do give quite a few 5's but hey who's complaining that there are lots of excellent products!!
Tau-riffic!!

El'Iey'Asu
Shas

Post#60 » Nov 03 2008 08:30

A great site, ALF.
Wonderful work so far.

There was one possible typo in The Hammerhead Twin Linked Burst Cannon Turret conversion kit review:
'add a lever of personalization to your army.'
Maybe it should be level.

ALF
Shas

Post#61 » Nov 13 2008 01:44

I'm back.. Thanks again for spotting the "Typo"

Thanks for all the great comments.. I will be reviewing more kits in the next few days.. probably some more Tau.. and some Death Korps of Kreig too.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#62 » Nov 13 2008 03:16

Just read through the entry about the Tau Fusion Cannons, since I just bought a set recently. Couple of corrections needed:
"variationsintroduced" - para 1
"a lever of" - end para 1. "level"?
"its" - apostrophe missing. 2nd para.
"defectsalthough" - last para.

This site is a great idea. Thanks for all your hard work, ALF.

E.

ALF
Shas

Post#63 » Nov 13 2008 04:12

Thanks eiglepulper for pointing those out..

I just posted a update.. and added a simple Forums and Links section to the site.

I'd like to add ATT to the links section.. but before I did.. I wanted to ask first.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#64 » Nov 13 2008 06:15

*cowers*

You're going to hate me, ALF, but....
this oppertunity to Thank the community for the support and feedback that everyone has given. It is helping me improve and make this a better (p)lace for all to enjoy.

I also enables
- is this meant to be "I also enabled" or "It also enables"
Kits Unboxes

Death Korps of Kreig
- should be "Krieg"

E.

ALF
Shas

Post#65 » Nov 13 2008 07:55

Thanks again.. I really hate my keyboard at work.. 1/2 the errors are due to the slight difference in key placement from keyboard at home the other 1/2 is because I didn't pay enough attention in English Class.. :P

Thanks for registering too BTW!

No problem! Mind you, it says there are 5 registered users but only you and I came up when I checked it out - I mean, I was nosy. ~ E.

Insectoid
Kroot

Post#66 » Nov 13 2008 08:07

On your 'forums' page, the 'member login' tab is kaput. Doesn't work. May want to fix that. Am now registering.
Mostly just lurk.

ALF
Shas

Post#67 » Nov 13 2008 08:24

Thanks.. I have noticed that.. one of the many small things I have listed to fix.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#68 » Nov 14 2008 03:08

To avoid this thread becoming a "you need to fix this/there's a missing comma here/etc", I think we should from now on pass any errors via PM to ALF. The reason is simple: if all people see is us correcting his work - and the 'errors' so far are very minor cosmetic stuff - then it might create a situation where visitors only go to Kits Unboxed to look for any possible errors rather than to benefit from the information compiled there. It could also perhaps colour their opinion of the site before they even go to it.

As we all know, it is all too easy to do typos - indeed I've already corrected one in this very post (sotuation instead of situation) - but I think the rest of the replies in this thread maybe should be more directed along the lines of discussion or suggestions, or general sycophantic praise! :P (only kidding!).

Would this suggestion about PMs be OK with you, ALF?

E.

ALF
Shas

Post#69 » Nov 14 2008 01:13

I'm fine either way.. as I stated in my last post.. I'm no Einstein when it comes to words... and I don't claim to be.. the main point is I'm showing people a preview of the kit before they order it (if they like/want it) so they can get a better idea of whats included.. and to be prepared to confront the possible issues if there is any.. and what to look out for too..

Later I will have in depth build Articles and conversions too.. as well as Painting Articles (submissions from the pros on here welcome)

ALF
Shas

Post#70 » May 06 2009 02:47

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick heads up I put up 15 Reviews (finishing up 5 of them but the pictures and ratings are available to see) and I have 10 more that I will be putting up in the next week.

The New Reviews that are available include:
- All Crisis Suits (including all Forgeworld Crisis Suit Variants) with pictures of all the parts that come with the kits
- 4 Death Korps of Kreig Artillery peices
- Aeronautica Imperialis Harbinger

Some upcoming reviews include:
- All Aeronautica Imperialis Tau Models
- Aeronautica Imperialis Hell Blade & Hell Talon
- DKK Mars Alpha Leman Russ
And more!

so if you're interested.. head on over and check them out at Kitsunboxed.com

ajefferism
Shas

Re: Kit Review Site [Updated]

Post#71 » May 07 2009 10:18

ALF,

Not sure if you're interested, but I posted some Army List "Cards" in another post here on ATT. Feel free to use them in your Gaming/Database section, if you like. They are .png format and fully editable in Adobe Fireworks. I also have links to the appropriate fonts in that post:

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13138

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Kit Review Site [Updated]

Post#72 » May 07 2009 11:19

It's a nice looking site, but while it is always nice to have some more pictures of FW stuff to look at, I am left a little unconvinced at the value of the kit reviews themselves. Most of the FW ones boil down to, "kit came in a bag, all the pieces were there/ some were missing and I got them replaced, clean the residue off the pieces/ there was no residue, clean the flash off". Not really a review, IMHO.

If pieces are warped, why not tell us how you went about fixing them and how successful (or not) that was? You could even mention what causes warping in the first place and whether or not FW pieces are notable for it compared with other kit manufacturers. If lots of residue is encountered, why not tell us how you got rid of it without marring the fine detail? On the Knarloc Riders review I saw mention of "resin spatter" but even after looking at the photo I was none the wiser about what that was and why it was bad. If a kit came without instructions why not a few tips on how to put it together, or things to look out for? And why no photos of assembled models? If you are rating the kits on difficulty of assembly, should we not be seeing pics of the final model?

I am not trying to have a go at you - the site is a good idea. I just hope it can go into a lot more depth than it does at present.

Sholto

Return to “Reviews”