Kit Review Site [Updated]

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
ALF
Shas

Re: Kit Review Site [Updated]

Post#73 » May 07 2009 01:07

- ajefferism
Great idea.. these kind of things are exactly what the Gaming section is for..

- Sholto
I understand your discontent.. I can't make everyone happy.. I'm sorry if you don't like the reviews I am doing in my free time. The reviews are just an "unboxing" there is no assembly at all.. I am slowly working on assembly instructions, conversion/modification articles, and painting guides. But sadly since I'm a single person who has a full time Job, a newborn baby girl, and little time to do much else.. my model collection tends to be in the "unfinished" state.. I have loads of them.. but not many complete due to time constraints.

A while back I decided to create Kitsunboxed.com to help me make time for my hobby again.

I set a clear goal:
    -Review all my un-assembled kits
    -Make an article on the Assembly Process and any tips or tricks, Possibly do a conversion article
    -Follow up with a painting guide (article on how I painted the model)

As I progress in each Step.. I will link the articles on common items together. I have a lot of things Planned.. but it takes me a while to complete things for my site due to the fact that I put a higher priority on My Family and Work. I have 3 Gigs of pictures I need to edit, and about 30 pages of notes to translate into an article.

In Regards to not having information as to how I resolved Issues.. I don't want my article to be a Forgeworld bashing angerfest. I have had way to many issues to count with their models... sadly I still have some issues I'm trying to resolve without any luck. I might do a single article on how I resolve issues with Forgeworld and some horror stories and moments of appreciation. Some issues I have had with Forgeworld took me well over 6 months (current one has been an issue since November 2008).

Why no assembled models you ask? There is a section for that called "Bodyshop" its currently empty. I wanted to get about 50% of my models "reviewed" before I started assembly posting (if I told you how many models I have still in its original packaging or un-assembled in a storage container you'd be shocked for sure). The other reason is I'm working on a nice format for my Assembly Articles which is not finished as I have not had time to work on it.

As to my cleanup process.. An article is planned.. but again.. its all in due time.. the site is relatively new (not in time.. but in content) its not ATT or BOLS they have many contributors. I have many "Toolbox" articles planned or already photographed with notes.. just haven't processed the images and taken the time to write the article.

Just to clear things up.. the "Review" is just a look at the "Unboxed Kit" hence the name of the site KitsUnboxed.com. The idea behind it came about because many people were asking me just that.. "what comes in 'X' kit?" .. "does it have this specific part?" .. "it 'X' part a separate piece?" .. Some people are under the impression that certain kits have a ton of parts and are surprised that its just a big hunk of resin.. it really puts things into perspective when you are thinking of purchasing an item. Some find a complicated model Daunting whilst others get pissed for spending a lot of Coin on a hunk of resin that has no room for variation.

So when you think of a "review" on KitsUnboxed.com .. think of it as a peek into the Packaging of the kit, have a first look as to what comes inside, and get my opinion on the kit. You might then ask is my opinion valid? What Authority do I have? Hey its just that.. my opinion and I do not seek approval from anyone, But, I do believe my opinion counts and my voice should be heard.

But don't take the review at face value and go away "unfulfilled" my review is not like what you are used to.. and what you search for will be on KitsUnboxed.com eventually.. but it won't be in one large article going from unboxing to a fully painted model.. but will be broken into 3 or 4 more manageable chunks instead. The reason in doing so was to make it easier to categorize what my visitors look for if they use the search.. Do it in steps so that I myself could do a little at a time (my time is limited.. sometimes I might get 3-4 done in a week from cleanup to painting while at other times I might have a dozen models linger on for months or more in black, white, or gray basecoats.

ALF
Shas

Post#74 » May 11 2009 04:11

Hey Just an FYI.. I've added a few more updates to the site and some sneak peaks of my next round of Tau Models for review.. Quite a pile of resin goodness.

ALF
Shas

Post#75 » May 12 2009 03:40

Just a quick update for everyone.. In the process of optimizing KitsUnboxed.com for Search Engine Optimozation I set Search engine url's to true and many users encountered 404 errors on the site.. I have since fixed the issue and I'm sorry for any inconvenience.. such is the live of a web admin :P

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#76 » May 12 2009 03:45

I just visited your site for the first time... and, wow, you've done some incredible work. I'm extremely impressed. Your website answers so many questions about so many Forge World models; but more than that, it's laid out very, very well.

But... how do you afford so much resin?!
++TFTD: He who promises peace, promises damnation.++

ALF
Shas

Post#77 » May 13 2009 11:49

Elliott wrote:I just visited your site for the first time... and, wow, you've done some incredible work. I'm extremely impressed. Your website answers so many questions about so many Forge World models; but more than that, it's laid out very, very well.

Thanks for the kind words.. took me a while to get things looking "just right" and I see my main goal of enlightening people about resin kits has worked.

Elliott wrote:But... how do you afford so much resin?!

You do realize that I have been purchasing models little by little over many years.. They have just been sitting on my shelves.. waiting to be put together.. I started the site to "force" me to do it (if my plan works) But to answer your question directly I work full time and am blessed with good pay and I'm very frugal when it comes to spending. I have a budget and stick to it.

Anyone can do it really.. For example.. if you put aside just $50 USD a month to spend on your hobby (paints, models, supplies, etc..) and use restraint in what you purchase.. some months you can spend your $50 on models.. other times you can save up for months and "treat yourself" to a nice high quality kit for your hard work and efforts. Once you reach your short term army goals.. you can start saving up for longer periods of time for larger items $50 x 12 months = $600 .. That's an Orca and Some Tetras right there. $50 equates to about or just under One days worth of wages for most people making minimum wage in the USA.

Return to “Reviews”