Kit Review Site [Updated]

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
ALF
Shas

Post#19 » Mar 12 2008 03:34

thanks technojunkie..

I actually mentioned that (but in a really vague & general manner)
-Pointers on what to avoid/be careful of

Thanks for the great example of what to watch out for

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#20 » Mar 12 2008 08:20

sorry for OT, but it's for Isotope's comments. Please look to the thread on primer, that problem is largely because you are not actually "priming" them if you are using citadel spray. Just base-coating.

You see ALF, we do need a modelling review!
Please visit my New Online Gallery Scale120

JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#21 » Mar 13 2008 11:53

There's a tracking code in my inbox and the confirmed ship date is today. My 2nd Tigershark has arrived. Maybe the remoras and the replacement plasma rifles.

So ... I'll clean my workspace off and finish the lighting and see about getting decent photos this time through. My original was basecoated before it made it's way here. Mwahahaha.

Edit: Added Kibitzezs
Re: Priming Forgeworld Models, absolutely necessary.

Also; best practice insofar as getting the paint to stick and stay stuck has been to wash the parts in "Citrus Based" floor cleaner, about double the concentration you'd use on linoleum. That's straight from the lips of the phone order folks who re-issued me some damaged-in-shipping bits for my first Tigershark. Amazingly cheerful chaps.

Top tools; razor saw. Rasp. Sanding discs and cutoff wheels on moto-tools. Patience & a Coffeemaker of good quality and quantity are also high on my list.
S7,AP3,10inBlast,IgnoresCover. Smells like...victory.

ALF
Shas

Post#22 » Mar 13 2008 12:37

Thanks Kai.. no worries on the OT comments..

thanks for the bit of information JagdtMirage.. Please read my first post..
I'm working on a site that will Showcase Kit Reviews (mostly by myself for the time being) and I created this thread to find out what people from the community might want to know.. or anything specifically they think should be highlighted in the kit Reviews

JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#23 » Mar 13 2008 01:42

ALF wrote:Thanks Kai.. no worries on the OT comments..

thanks for the bit of information JagdtMirage.. Please read my first post..
I'm working on a site that will Showcase Kit Reviews (mostly by myself for the time being) and I created this thread to find out what people from the community might want to know.. or anything specifically they think should be highlighted in the kit Reviews

I went back on it and reread it after working on it and thought again about it. Yeah. Mmmmm. Sorry 'bout getting early on the solicited article offer :D

In the way of kit reviews. I'd love to see some reviews of the kits I don't have experience with;
Orca
Manta
Hammerhead conversions
Buildings/turrets

ALF
Shas

Post#24 » Mar 13 2008 01:53

Thanks for reading through the thread JagdtMirage.

there will be articles for all of the Kits you listed..

except..

I'm not sure if there has been any released models of Tau Buildings.. I know Warhammer World produced some molds of their in-house Terrain (and there's picture of them somewhere in wikipedia)

but..

I have thought of making Terrain of the likes seen in Dawn of War (video game & expansions) for a commission.. but thats another story ;)

JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#25 » Mar 13 2008 02:05

ALF wrote:
I have thought of making Terrain of the likes seen in Dawn of War (video game & expansions) for a commission.. but thats another story ;)

Every time I swing by Michaels crafts I always take time to wander down their floral section and look at the various foams available; I have too pondered the ease of taking an orbital sander to these, and making foam-cored Tau facilities off of the 'Dawn Of War Templates' :D

ALF
Shas

Post#26 » Mar 13 2008 02:09

I wasn't talking about Foam Buildings.. but something Else entirely.. I musn't let my secret out though!! :fear:

Lets get back on topic shall we?

JagdtMirage
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#27 » Mar 13 2008 02:18

ALF wrote:I wasn't talking about Foam Buildings.. but something Else entirely.. I musn't let my secret out though!! :fear:

Lets get back on topic shall we?

*cough* Ahem.
Yes.
Kit reviews...

Common Fixes For Problem Plastic & Resin Bitz.

How to identify casting problems and their best practice for repair.

ALF
Shas

Post#28 » Mar 13 2008 04:07

I'll have a special article on fixing resin woes too..

but I can tell you the easiest way to get the problem fixed..
call the manufacturer.. especially if the kits are expensive like Forgeworld's they should replace them no problem.

ALF
Shas

Re: Working on Tau Kit Reviews.. what would you like to..?

Post#29 » Jul 17 2008 06:45

[UPDATE]

I have just secured the Domain name for my Kit Review website.. in about 7 Days it will go online!
I will be posting later the URL and a bit of information on how the site will work.. and how often there will be updates...

Thanks to everyone who made comments and suggestions.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#30 » Jul 17 2008 06:51

Looking forward to having somewhere to run to for help!

E.

ALF
Shas

Post#31 » Jul 23 2008 04:34

I'm almost done Folks!

I just have to start adding content to the site! the Sections, Categories, Menu Navigation, Images, & other details have been completed.

The main purpose of this site is to give you a start to finish look on the kits I come across (sorry I don't have unlimited income and can't review every kit out there) I will start by going over all the kits I haven't assembled and try to cover as much as I can. As time progresses I will have assembly instructions, advanced detailing, and conversion articles. The next step for the kit will be painting (& if I have multiples of the kit.. I might have different paint schemes too) in this way I can take a kit the full circle and keep everything all linked together for easy reference.

I'm still teetering on the idea of having what I call "Kit Watch". Kit Watch would be a place to find news on upcoming kits for the hobby.

Another feature of the site will be what I call the "Toolbox". the toolbox will be filled with information on the many hobby tools and possibly how to use them (when I have time to write them of course!)

There will also be a "Gaming" section on the site.. and will include cool things like Homwbrew Datasheets, new Scenarios, & even experimental Army Codexes (again... entries will appear when they are finished being written)

The last feature of the site will be Fan Fiction.. a good friend of mine will be making the Fan Fiction of the Kit Review site his "Home Base" for delivering all his fan fiction articles for your enjoyment.

ALF
Shas

Re: [EDIT] Finishing Kit Review Site - Which kit to review 1st?

Post#32 » Jul 24 2008 12:57

I just updated the Title...

the site has been completed.. and now I am asking ATT to pick which Tau Forgeworld kit they want Reviewed First.

At the end of Today.. if I don't get a response from anyone.. I will ask my friends to give me their opinion as to which kit to review.. Tomorrow (not sure what time.. but probably late afternoon PST) I will be posting the first article and releasing the site live.

dvii253
Shas

Post#33 » Jul 24 2008 01:51

I would choose the manta. Though it is usully only for serious modellers and hobbyists, I think that it will prove to be a good jump start for your site. If the manta is not possible, I think some of the piranha conversion kit would be a nice start, or possibly some of the xv8 variants. I also think that the hammerhead conversion kits could also be reviewed early on. I hope to see some kit reviews, as I am considering purchasing some forge world models. :evil:

p.s. Just in case my post was a bit confusing, I'll clear things up:
my #1 preference for 1st kit review:
Manta
If not possible:
piranha conversion kit -(I'm not sure if its a conversion kit, or a -use the plastic engines and everything else is resin- kit...)

Thats just my opinion, but I'm sure whatever you choose, that the review will be great!
Hope to see some soon :smile:
Shield Drone=Floating Bunny!

ALF
Shas

Post#34 » Jul 24 2008 01:58

As I was saving the manta for some other time (its an important kit.. and will take many days to write a full review) Any other kit would be ok..

The piranha is fine (I have the Original Forgeworld Kit, the Plastic Piranha, & The TX-42 Heavy piranha conversion kit)
Also the Hammerhead Turrets are viable ( I even nabbed a OOP Forgeworld Resin Skyray Turret)
The XV suit variants would be done one at a time.. so you'd need to let me know which specific one you would like to see first.

Anyways.. I hope more people comment so I can see what everyone would like to see first. Thanks for your comments.

mearleycf
Shas

Post#35 » Jul 24 2008 07:38

I'm most interested in this order:

- barracuda
- shas'o r'myr
- xv81
- tau vehicle upgrades

Thanks!

xGhostx
Shas

Post#36 » Jul 24 2008 08:12

I don't know if this has only happened too me but my XV8 suit, the jump jets on the back were, well bent. So when i tried too glue them they had a gap. Has this happened before? Other then green stuff i can't find another solution. The plastic is too thick to bend back into shape without damaging or for it too stay in place before unbending back...
Proud Sponsor of the Greater Good!

Return to “Reviews”