Possibly a dumb idea. 25 power tanky madness

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Orion7
Shas'Saal

Possibly a dumb idea. 25 power tanky madness

Post#1 » Jan 19 2018 12:36

So my LGS is running a 25 power game on Friday. So I'm planning on ranking my way through this. Can you please advise if this is a bad idea or not?

Battleforged army

Outrider detachment.

[Hq] ethereal. Planning to use sense of stone to soak Nova charge wounds, and add morale to the drones. 2pl

[Fast attack] Y'varha with ATS and TL. Does what y'varha does, on a small games workshop table 20pl

[Fast attack] 4*shield drones. Soak up damage with FnP. 2pl

[Fast attack] 4* kroot hounds. It's 1 power and will engage units I don't want to engage the big girl. Or failing that, will soak fire. Gets me battleforged.

Should I change anything round? I'm not really feeling the need for markerlights in this build, though an considering swapping the shield drones for gun drones and the etherial for a fire blade

Limitations? You mean you don't want Fido the kroot hound as a character?

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Re: Possibly a dumb idea. 25 power tanky madness

Post#2 » Jan 19 2018 01:21

I'm far from an expert, but the largest problem I see is the fact you can only shoot at 2 units a turn. Yeah, they'll probably cease to exist that turn if they're small enough, but hordes will be a challenge. Especially if they split up and you have to chase them around the table. Even on a small table, a good opponent will run you ragged and be able to plink off your support.

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 19 2018 01:58

Draco023 wrote:I'm far from an expert, but the largest problem I see is the fact you can only shoot at 2 units a turn. Yeah, they'll probably cease to exist that turn if they're small enough, but hordes will be a challenge. Especially if they split up and you have to chase them around the table. Even on a small table, a good opponent will run you ragged and be able to plink off your support.

Oh heck good point

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 19 2018 02:54

Orion7 wrote:Oh heck good point

I feel ya, ran a similar list at 500 points, but pathfinders, hounds and a fireblade. It was hysterical against Necrons!

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jan 19 2018 07:17

As long as you can kill the enemy's main anti-tank threat on turn one you'll probably win. However if they have any kind of kiting ability, you'll be in trouble. I'm actually curious to see how this would work.

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jan 21 2018 05:03

Arka0415 wrote:As long as you can kill the enemy's main anti-tank threat on turn one you'll probably win. However if they have any kind of kiting ability, you'll be in trouble. I'm actually curious to see how this would work.

If they go for kiting I'll use y'varha's forgotten ability: Nova charged move. It'll get me within range for the ion weapon, and even if they run, with a 14 inch base mine I'm confident that I can chase them down with the flamer.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jan 21 2018 07:28

Orion7 wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:As long as you can kill the enemy's main anti-tank threat on turn one you'll probably win. However if they have any kind of kiting ability, you'll be in trouble. I'm actually curious to see how this would work.

If they go for kiting I'll use y'varha's forgotten ability: Nova charged move. It'll get me within range for the ion weapon, and even if they run, with a 14 inch base mine I'm confident that I can chase them down with the flamer.

Remember that the nova charge move is used in one movement phase, and you only drop down in the next movement phase. So you lose an entire turn of shooting. In addition, you can't fire the Flamer when you drop down, and your IDC drops to about a tenth the firepower. Those two turns will see the Y'vahra shooting at extremely reduced efficiency.

Edit: Here's the math. If the Y'vahra shoots both its weapons into (for example) Terminators for two turns using Nova Charge, it should get about 14.7 wounds, or 7.35 dead Terminators. If you use the Nova Charge jump to engage, you will deal 0.83 wounds, not even a dead Terminator. That's a firepower drop of almost 95%- essentially, the Y'vahra is not shooting for two turns.

There's a good reason that ability is forgotten- it ruins the Y'vahra.

gunrock
Shas

Post#8 » Jan 21 2018 09:29

Orion7 wrote:
Outrider detachment.

[Hq] ethereal. Planning to use sense of stone to soak Nova charge wounds, and add morale to the drones. 2pl

[Fast attack] Y'varha with ATS and TL. Does what y'varha does, on a small games workshop table 20pl

[Fast attack] 4*shield drones. Soak up damage with FnP. 2pl

[Fast attack] 4* kroot hounds. It's 1 power and will engage units I don't want to engage the big girl. Or failing that, will soak fire. Gets me battleforged.

I'm actually super curious how this works out. My gut says you'll have some matchups where you absolutely steamroll your opponent and a few matches where you lose for weird reasons flying around stomping ants.

Just to note tau have lots of great ways to abuse power level without ultra-heavy units. For just 3 Pl you can get 3 rail rifles and 2 pathfinders, or for 11 PL XV-8 with 9 fusion blasters, or for 6 PL a fully loaded MP commander. Just a thought, that's 32 d3 damage missiles at S7 -1 AP on BS 2 for 24 pl.
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jan 26 2018 05:54

So I ran this and it went really well, taking out a venerable Dreadnought in two turns with no damage sustained to y'varha, losing only my kroot hounds.

But then since kind of marines jumped in. 12 of them, each dual wielding plasma pistols. Two turns later and y'varha is cooked. Simply too much dakka!

Sadly the GW staff wouldn't let me try it again as it was too competitive for any of the other players there (mostly kids) to deal with :(

Return to “Cadre Building”