1850 Dawnblade for a new Tau player

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Storik
Shas'Saal

1850 Dawnblade for a new Tau player

Post#1 » Dec 19 2016 01:19

Good morning ATT,

I recently got back in to 40k after a 5 year break, and chose to come back with an army I have always wanted to collect, Tau. I've been pouring over all of the information I could find on ATT, and the internet at large, and fiddling around in Battlescribe for weeks. I've gone from Hunter Contingents to CADs with formations, to FSE Dawnblades and CADs and back.

My goal is to establish a take all comers 1850 point list that I can casually take to weekly game nights, without cheesing someone off. Don't worry, I will eventually get the Riptide wing and some Forgeworld goodies, but to start, I'd like to keep it a little more toned down. I have, in my list building, decided that I want to focus on an Optimized Stealth Cadre. I love the Ghostkeel and stealth suit models, and this is my one must take formation. So there we go, 3 Ghostkeels and 2 units of Stealth Suits to form my core. During my online exploration, I went from considering a Hunter Contingent or just a TE CAD to heavily favouring a FSE list. I have most of the models I needed for a Retaliation Cadre, and the idea of garanteed turn 2 deep striking for the formation, along with drop zone cleared, gets me really excited. I need some marker lights, and in order to wrap up a Dawn Blade Contingent, I need an auxiliary formation, so in goes the Drone-Net.

Here is the list I have come up with, and I have some notes below to follow up. As an unexperienced Tau commander, I'd like to lean on your collective expertise help me make the most of it.

+++ Farsight (Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition v2013) (1845pts) +++

++ Tau Dawn Blade Contingent (Tau Empire: Codex (2015) v2002) (1190pts) ++

+ Uncategorised +

····Farsight Enclaves

+ Core (966pts) +

····Retaliation Cadre (966pts)
······Commander
········XV8 Commander Crisis Suit [2x Fusion Blaster, Neuroweb System Jammer, Puretide Engram Neurochip, Stimulant Injector, Talisman of Arthas Moloch, Target Lock, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit]
······XV104 Riptide Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual]
········Riptide Shas'vre [Early Warning Override, Earth Caste Pilot Array, Ion Accelerator, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster]
······XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual]
········Crisis Shas'ui [2x Fusion Blaster]
········Crisis Shas'ui [2x Plasma Rifle]
········Crisis Shas'ui [2x Fusion Blaster]
······XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual, 4x MV8 Missile Drone]
········Broadside [Early Warning Override, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]
········Broadside [Early Warning Override, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

+ Auxiliary (224pts) +

····Drone-Net VX1-0 (224pts)
······Drones [4x MV7 Marker Drone]

++ Formation Detachment (Tau Empire: Codex (2015) v2002) (655pts) ++

+ Formation (655pts) +

····Optimized Stealth Cadre (655pts)
······XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon, Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon]
········Stealth Shas'ui with Fusion Blaster [Fusion Blaster]
······XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon, Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon]
········Stealth Shas'ui with Fusion Blaster [Fusion Blaster]
······XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits
········Ghostkeel Shas'vre [Cyclic Ion Raker, Early Warning Override, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster, Velocity Tracker]
········Ghostkeel Shas'vre [Cyclic Ion Raker, Early Warning Override, Target Lock, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster]
········Ghostkeel Shas'vre [Cyclic Ion Raker, Early Warning Override, Target Lock, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster]

Things that I'm concerned about:

1. Dawn Blade Contingent/Retaliation Cadre: Would it be more worthwhile to consider a FSE CAD and more monats for the obsec? I do lose the (in my mind) awesome turn 2 garanteed drop and killing blow. Minor other loss would be relentless on the broadsides.
2. If I keep the Dawn Blade/Retaliation Cadre, are my XV8 and commander loadout choices sound? I Imagined the commander going with the plasma unit, and using the Puretide chip to give them monster/tank hunter, and using killing blow for my Broadside/Riptide target of choice. I've played around with getting a buff'vre or a buff commander, but I'm not sure the unit is large enough to warrant it. I have stayed away from a drone controlling commander, because I just don't think I need it. The OSC is pretty self sufficient, so I just need the marker support for the rest of the army. I figure the Drone-Net on its own should be enough. Is it?
3. Broadside Missle Drones: I've taken these since they are BS3 with the Drone Net, get +1 BS if they come in with Low Altitude Deployment. And cheap s7 shots. These points can be tossed around elsewhere if needed.
4. Should I get homing beacons on the stealth suit squads? It does, however, add a decent chunk of points to the squads. Or should I strip them right down to bare bones to save some points?
5. In the case that I did use Low Altitude Deployment, the OSC should be able to hold the board, right? I obviously need to chose which games to use the deep strike.

I mentioned above that I had most of the units for the Retaliation Cadre, so I figured I'd list what I currently have, and what my immediate purchasing plan is:

20 Fire Warriors with 2 turrets
10 Pathfinders
1 Devilfish
1 Commander
3 XV8 Crisis Suits
6 XV25 Stealth Suits
1 XV104 Riptide
2 XV88 Broadsides
1 XV95 Ghostkeel
1 Ethereal
Enough drones for the Drone-Net and then some

My immediate plan was to pick up another Start Collecting: Tau Empire box, and a couple more Ghotstkeels in the next month or so. The Start Collecting box is a given, I think, since it will allow me round out my existing models. I'd be able to field a solid gunline of Fire Warriors if I wanted to, and it would flesh out my Crisis Suit collection. For the record, I have been magnetizing weapon options as I go.

I look forward to your input.

Denirosek
Por'La
Por'La

Re: 1850 Dawnblade for a new Tau player

Post#2 » Dec 20 2016 08:18

It is indeed a similar list to the one I have :D It looks really solid but there are a few things

My first objection would be that you have quite a plenty of markerlights, but only a few units that would really need them. 12 BS3 Markerlights for 3-4 units needing them? I'm not sure if it's not just unnecessary.

Secondly, I think you have too many Fusion Blasters. While sure, they are extremely useful in taking down enemy heavy vehicles, I don't think you'll see enemies using that many vehicles that you can't glance with your Ions, especially on the rear armour. I would just drop the Fusion Blasters on the Monats, as they are relatively costly, while they are not that survivable. They'll be an easy target for your opponent and a waste of point as such, imho.

Thirdly, drop the Puretide Engram Neurochip in favour of the Command and Control Node. You already have a possibility to reroll wounds and armour penetrations from the Dawnblade special rule (unless they changed how it works and I am not aware of that), but you still need to make sure they do actually hit, and while you have a lot of Markerlights to help you with that task, just ask yourself is it worth it. Regardless of that, Puretide Engram Chip is quite useless for you and a waste of points.

Fourthly, as one more experienced Tau player than me said, Target Lock everything you can. And while it's not necessarily true for the Stealth Suits, it would really come in handy with the Burning Eyes Crisis Suits. When I played without Target Locks that one time, I annihilated his Pirahna team and had still a plenty of shots left, that I have just wasted. So I'd place Target Locks on every Crisis Suit in the team but one. And I would rather have Target Locks on the Broadsides as well rather than EWOs. While, sure, EWOs are great, you already have a plenty of them, and while Broadsides have the range advantage, possibility of hitting 3 different targets with a plenty of rocket fire is a better one, imo.

And lastly, I think the Homing Beacons are a must have on such a Deep Strike relying army. It would be a shame if your Riptide landed on an impassable terrain, enemy units or just flew off the board, wouldn't it?

Hopefully, these advices will help you to hone you army :) For the Greater Good!
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Dec 20 2016 11:57

Have you seen this?
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/ba ... ance-cadre

Comes with Pathfinders, a Devilfish, a Ghostkeel, Commander and a Broadside.
All for 170 USD.

It'll take care of some of the stuff you are missing.

Storik
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 20 2016 10:52

Ifrit wrote:Have you seen this?
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/ba ... ance-cadre

Comes with Pathfinders, a Devilfish, a Ghostkeel, Commander and a Broadside.
All for 170 USD.

It'll take care of some of the stuff you are missing.

I already bought one of those :D Not sure I'd want to go for another one at this time. I could use another Ghostkeel and Broadside, but the rest seems like less of a priority at the moment.

Storik
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 11 2017 01:54

Here is a revised list, just ahead of my last few models being assembled:

+++ Farsight (Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition v2017) (1849pts) +++

++ Tau Dawn Blade Contingent (Tau Empire: Codex (2015) v2005) (1145pts) ++

+ Uncategorised +

········Farsight Enclaves

+ Core (879pts) +

········Retaliation Cadre (879pts)
············Commander
················XV8 Commander Crisis Suit [Command and Control Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Stimulant Injector, Talisman of Arthas Moloch, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit]
············XV104 Riptide Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual]
················Riptide Shas'vre [Early Warning Override, Ion Accelerator, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]
············XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual]
················Crisis Shas'ui [2x Flamer]
················Crisis Shas'ui [2x Plasma Rifle]
················Crisis Shas'ui [2x Flamer]
············XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual, 4x MV8 Missile Drone]
················Broadside [Target Lock, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]
················Broadside [Target Lock, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

+ Auxiliary (266pts) +

········Drone-Net VX1-0 (266pts)
············Drones [7x MV1 Gun Drone]
············Drones [4x MV7 Marker Drone]

++ Formation Detachment (Tau Empire: Codex (2015) v2005) (704pts) ++

+ Formation (704pts) +

········Optimized Stealth Cadre (704pts)
············XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual, Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon, Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon]
················Stealth Shas'vre [Fusion Blaster, Homing beacon]
············XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual, Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon, Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon]
················Stealth Shas'vre [Fusion Blaster, Homing beacon]
············XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual]
················Ghostkeel Shas'vre [Cyclic Ion Raker, Early Warning Override, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster, Velocity Tracker]
················Ghostkeel Shas'vre [Cyclic Ion Raker, Early Warning Override, Target Lock, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster]
················Ghostkeel Shas'vre [Cyclic Ion Raker, Early Warning Override, Target Lock, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster]

I fixed up the commander, dropped the fusion monats in favour of flamer monats, dropped ECPA on the riptide and switched a drone unit to gun drones with a few extra tacked on. Added bonding knife ritual to the OSC because I had the points.

I think I was lacking in the ability to put out any sort of lower strength firepower. Switching to flamer monats should help, as well as the switch to a gun drone squad. I felt that 16 marker drones may have been a bit too much for what is essentially buffing the misslesides and riptide. I dropped the ECPA in favour of a few drones. With the ion accelerator, I feel like that might be better. Am I way off base on that? I also added in homing beacons on the stealth suits for the times that I do decide to use the low altitude deployment.

Thoughts?

I'm excited to start painting this up soon. I'll have to start a log on that soon.

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 11 2017 05:50

First thing that I would like to address:
Are you going to deep stroke the Broadsides?
Because if you are I'd probably put PRs instead of the missiles because you're pretty much going to be in your opponents face.
Secondly I'm not super sold on the missile drones with the Broadsides because they take a hit you have a really good chance of them running off.
Same thing with the Riptide, most people are going to want to tie that up in combat so why not go FB or PR on it? I'd also reconsider the ECPA because since it's already a fire magnet you're going to want the re-rolls. (I can't remember if it's only 1s on the NOVA or just in general).

But idk hopefully a more experienced Commander will be able to give better insight.

Return to “Cadre Building”