[1850] Mont'ka List

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Demorte
Gue'La

Re: [1850] Mont'ka List

Post#11 » Dec 22 2016 03:05

I may try your tactic and run a more agressive list rather then sit back and shoot stuff list. Will see how next few games play out trying them.

Denirosek
Por'La

Post#12 » Dec 22 2016 03:29

Sure, I'd love to hear about your experience with it asap :D
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Denirosek
Por'La

Post#13 » Feb 01 2017 05:40

Given I've had a chance to try the list out, I've had to make a few tweaks.

First of all, I put my Retaliation Cadre into a Dawn Blade Contingent to get those neat to wound and penetration hit re-rolls. Secondly, I had to ditch the Earth Caste Pilot Array, as it was too costly and had to drop one Crisis Suit. I also equipped two of them with double Fusion Blasters to deal better with the Imperial Knights. I also switched the Flamer for my Commander with Vectored Retro-Thrusters to make sure my very costly blob doesn't get stuck in melee. I've also ditched melta weapons and markerlights on the Stealth Suits due to their cost, instead relying completely on the Marker Drones for the Markerlight Support.

For my Auxilliary Formation I have picked the Pirahna Firestream Wing. Two of them are equipped with melta weapons but the biggest advantage of them were most certainly the drones. They were able to create a wall of bodies in front of my army that has allowed me to safely overwatch with all of my units while making sure any other units in the army don't get charged. I've had to face very close-combat oriented armies and Imperial Knights. It was always the latter that were the trouble to me, so I've decided to bring more Melta Weapons.

If placed wisely. I should have 30 S7 shots, 12 S6 and 6 S8 AP1 Melta weapons to deal with the Imperial Knight. 10 of the S7 shots on side or rear (front) armour should make it through, even if 5 of them will get deflected, it makes the IK standing on only one wound. My melta weapons should result in 6 + 2D3 wounds on IK. That's 5 wounds after applying statistical ion shield accuracy.

I'm not sure how much it is the fault of my mistakes or how much it is something in the list that needs improving, but I'm winning only 50% of my battles. If that's my tactical mistakes, I will have to work on them, but if there's something in the list worthy of further improvement, I would very much appreciate your support.
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Feb 07 2017 04:42

Sounds very good
My inclination would be to drop the fusion blasters you've put on the piranhas as it makes them a lot more expensive, and 8 S5 shots per models is a lot of firepower, especially as S5 syncs very well with the killing blow bonus

Denirosek
Por'La

Post#15 » Feb 08 2017 08:04

Thank you for your advise, however, I think it's better they are kept that way. 10 points per Fusion Blaster is still less, than 15 I would have to spend on Fusion Blasters for Crisis suits. It also stacks well with the Formations own Tank Hunter bonus. Plus, when you are facing 4 Imperial Knights, S5 AP5 are of no use, more melta guns are though.
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Feb 09 2017 02:37

Very true, I should probably have looked a little closer at who you said you tended to face.
Also I wouldn't be worried too much about not having a perfect win record if this army isn't designed for tournament play; except if you're coming up against significantly harder lists then its probably just you need more time to learn to use it fully, it tends to be quite hard to deploy the Sisters of Silence somewhere where they can have an impact but won't die Turn 1. I'd say your list is good and the only way I can see to make it 'better' would be to add things like a riptide wing, which would completely change how the army plays - not my preferred solution. Out of interest, are there any particular armies you have a lot of trouble against?

Denirosek
Por'La

Post#17 » Feb 09 2017 02:26

It is actually designed for tournament plays, I don't know what made you think otherwise, that's why it's difficult for me to face some OP armies. As long as they are not 5 IK or Wolfstar/Wraithspam I can shoot them down, however, what always changes the battle for me are the Imerial Knights. Hence I added some more melta weapons.

From my experience with the Riptides, I don't feel like they are as OP as people say they are. They are difficult to kill, but little more than that. They are a nice source of Heavy AP2 weaponry, but Burning Eyes and Melta weapons do it better, especially if you have a mobile army like mine and you don't have to rely on range that much. They have that S6 AP4 Burst Cannon that can be buffed to shoot 12 bullets with rending, but well, S7 AP4 from Ghostkeel are better and way cheaper, and if I need AP2, I still have the Plasma Guns.
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Feb 10 2017 02:35

I agree that on its own the riptide's damage output can be pretty deceiving, but it does get a lot better in the riptide wing, when it can reliably pump out 12 S6 rending shots a turn (for 185 points/ model, compared to 140 for a ghostkeel), and the secondary weapon system. You get the riptide hailfire attack, which is devastating if you use it the right turn.
However it's true that it doesn't mesh with how the rest if the army plays.

Return to “Cadre Building”