Help for the new guy.

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Reaper13
Shas

Help for the new guy.

Post#1 » Jan 01 2017 12:29

Hello fellow tau players, I have recently, (few months ago) began collecting a tau army list. :biggrin: I would like the input of anyone who feels that they can help me improve my list. So far I have:

1 Ethereal on Hover Drone
- Honor Blade

30 Fire Warriors
- Pulse Rifles
- 6 Drones
-3 Ds8 Turrets

3 Crisis Suits
-Plasma Rifle's ,missile pods and target locks/drone controller.
- 3 Gun drones
- 3 Marker drones

10 Pathfinders
- 3 rail rifles

One Riptide
- Ion Accelerator
- SMS

What should I buy next? I feel like some devil fish would benefit the fire warriors, but more crisis suits is always appealing :D
Last edited by Reaper13 on Jan 02 2017 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
Who says we don't have assault units... Drones :crafty:

Reaper13
Shas

Re: Help for the new guy.

Post#2 » Jan 01 2017 04:22

Forgot to mention, I also have one devil fish, used for the pathfinders.

Crooked Bird
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jan 01 2017 05:41

Honestly your off to a solid start Reaper. What you get next depends on what type of play you prefer. I'm not a tournament player myself so others might have other ideas, but if your going tournament play and such, a ghostkeel and stealth suits for a Optimized stealth cadre are a strong choice.
If your a fluff/fun player like myself, build toward a "theme" or play style you like. An fan of armour? A mass crisis drop? A stealth force? Gun line, deep strike or mobile? You've a lot of options. Play around and build a few lists you like and start with whatever elements are common between them.

One thing for sure your going to want a XV-85 Crisis suit commander. It's very versatile and in a ton of formations.

Also: Magnets. Cheap, easy to use and really allow you to make the most of Tau kits.

Or just buy what looks good!

DFTBA.
I regret what I have not done.

Denirosek
Por'La
Por'La

Post#4 » Jan 01 2017 05:47

If you're looking for a nice, fluffy list to play with your friends at Local Friendly Gaming Store, then sure, you're good to go. However, not everything is as optimised as could be to make much sense in a competetive list.

There's nothing particularly bad with this list, a plenty of Fire Warriors, an Ethereal to support them, a decent amount of markerlights, heavy guns both armour penetration as well as anti-vehicle. However, there are a few things done just poorly.

First of all, sure, a Devilfish is a very good vehicle, but instead of the Pathfinders, I'd give it to your Fire Warriors. You want to keep your Pathfinders as far away from harm as it's possible, despite the fact that in fluff they're the one leading the way. Their main role is to provide you with support, and they can only support you when they are actually on the field, not inside a devilfish. Fire Warriors on the other hand are a good pick to unload at the control point and deal some heavy retribution from close range, with additional cover save granted by the Fish of Fury.

The composition of the Fire Warrior teams... There's nothing particularly wrong with the DS8 Turrets, they are a points effective source of some relatively heavy weaponry, however, they make your army much less mobile, bear that in mind. There is no point in bringing the drones however. First, you're gonna need a Shas'ui, and honestly, with an Ethereal in your army, you're basically wasting 10 points per squad for doing that, as you're always going to have Ld 10 anyway. Secondly, the drones are more costly than the Fire Warriors and are of little use. An additional Fire Warrior is better than a Gun Drone, with BS3 compared to BS2, even though the drone is twin-linked. Sure, usually you're going to have markerlights to take care of that, but still, it's something to bear in mind. And you're not going to use the drone's Jet Thrust ability a lot with the rest of the squad being quite static. Shield Drones are just an additional wound that might have a 50% chance of deflecting a low-AP shot. You're using a 12 pts model to save a 9 pts model and wasting two potential shots. I don't think it's worth it at all. Marker Drones are still BS5 and still more costly than a Pathfinder, so not the best choice either.

The Crisis Suit team is quite well equipped, as both Plasma Rifles and Missile Pods are a valid option, however bear in mind the range difference of the weaponry and adapt them to your tactics accordingly. The Drones are a nice bubble wrap of ablative wounds and with Target Locks you can actually shoot 4 different targets per turn. I don't think picking here Marker Drones will be the best idea, as that's still only BS3, even with the drone controller and you already have a plenty od markerlight sources and there might be a problem with the differently-ranged drones shooting the same target. It's not the worst idea either, but I just wouldn't do it.

A Pathfinder team... I don't think there's anyone walking this Earth and the others who loves the Rail Rifles more than I do, however, bringing them to the table in a competitive match is asking the opponent to beat you. Badly. S6 AP1 looks sweet when you look at it, especially with them being 30" Rapid Fire. Two shots with that weapons are a dream of most of the people who see this weapon. But just look at the points and you have to change your mind. It's 26 points per model. A Crisis Suit is cheaper than that. It is carried by a Pathfinder, who is infantry, T3, 1W and only 5+ save. Compare it again to the Crisis which is T4, 2W and 3+ Jet Pack infantry. And the only advantage over the Crisis Suit's Plasma Rifle is its range. S6 AP1 does look sweet, but then again think, what are you going to use it against? It's not the best pick against the vehicles, as with only S6 you're gonna penetrate Rhinos at 5+ rolls at BS3 (cause you don't benefit from your own markerlights). And that's when your AP1 is going to be of any use. Maybe. Other than that Plasma's AP2 is just as fine. Besides, the Rail Rifles are not gonna be much used when your markerlights might be used against the opponnents they might not be particularly efficient against or might be out of the Rail Rifle's range. All in all, you're paying 78 points for maybe 3 lucky shots. It's simply not worth it.

And as for Riptide, I think you meant an Ion Accelerator, not a Fusion Blaster, as you might bring either SMS or Fusion Blaster as your secondary weapon option. Depending on whether you expect more enemy infantry or vehicles, pick one or the other. And yes, when you're equipping your Riptide, definitely pick an Ion Accelerator as your primary weapon. Heavy Burst Cannon is just a joke.

Hope this pretty long post will help you with your first battles for the Greater Good and may the Aun support you in your campaigns! :D
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Reaper13
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 02 2017 12:50

Thanks for the help guys, I did mean Ion accelerator, :sad: I will relocate the devilfish to one of the fire warrior squads and drop the drones. What I had here was more of a list of what I own, and not so much a dedicated army list. I can convert some of the fire warriors from the getting started box to pathfinders, as I will soon be purchasing another one of those. I really did love those rail rifles.... Oh well. Makes room for more Crisis :D

Denirosek
Por'La
Por'La

Post#6 » Jan 02 2017 12:55

Oh well. Makes room for more Crisis :D

I like that line of thinking :biggrin: I think 10 Pathfinders is just enough, so there's no need for conversion. I usually field only 6 of them (though I rely heavily on other sources of improving my BS, like twin-linked weapons). I think two squads of 5 Pathfinders will be enough to provide most armies with just enough markerlights.
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Reaper13
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 02 2017 05:30

When I said converting, I meant to replace the rail gun pathfinders as they are disgustingly expensive as you pointed out. :::( I have $60 (USD) to spend now..... What should I buy? Two devilfish? Getting started box? Battle suit Commander?

Denirosek
Por'La
Por'La

Post#8 » Jan 02 2017 05:33

You seem to have just enough Tau Fire Warriors, but if I were you, I'd buy a Start Collecting box anyway, just for the sake of the Crisis Suits. A Commander is not a bad pick, though it's less necessary than the Crisis Suits imho, as you can prox with a normal Crisis suit anyway, it's never been an issue from my experience. Devilfish might also be a viable option as you've got a plenty of FW, so I suppose you're going to go more this direction than an all-battlesuits army as I prefer.
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Reaper13
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 02 2017 07:39

Looking at Gw, I will probally go the getting started box route, but... *Looks at hammerhead and drools* ;)

Reaper13
Shas

Post#10 » Jan 02 2017 09:05

Changed mind, found some cheap(ish) broadsides on ebay, gonna go for three of em. Need to save a little but whatever. :D
Wanted these but was turned of by their price. Aslo found really cheap devilfish. Which would be better?
Last edited by Reaper13 on Jan 02 2017 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

Denirosek
Por'La
Por'La

Post#11 » Jan 02 2017 09:16

Sure thing, they are a fantastic addition to any army.
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Reaper13
Shas

Post#12 » Jan 02 2017 09:32

Which one... Devilfish or broadsides?

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jan 02 2017 10:30

Personally I would go Broadsides just because they will be more of a staple than the Devilfish but that's my two cents.

Reaper13
Shas

Post#14 » Jan 02 2017 10:47

Bought one of each, I will buy more broadsides until I have three as soon as I have enough money. RIP my wallet. Oh, and my bank account too. :dead:

Denirosek
Por'La
Por'La

Post#15 » Jan 03 2017 08:10

Reaper13 wrote:RIP my wallet. Oh, and my bank account too. :dead:

Oh, we all know that feel :fear:
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Reaper13
Shas

Post#16 » Jan 03 2017 10:02

Denirosek wrote:
Reaper13 wrote:RIP my wallet. Oh, and my bank account too. :dead:

Oh, we all know that feel :fear:

Welcome to Warhammer 40k, emptying wallets since the 30th century... :sad:

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jan 05 2017 01:08

I'm a fan of the Piranhas and the Sniper Drones myself. Their unassuming and the enemy rarely prioritizes them, but piranhas are basically 16 points + 24 pts of gun drones that can harass and boost over to objectives as needed. The sniper teams are out of range of enough things that they don't get much return fire either, and I've even had them put a wallop on a wraithknight before.

Reaper13
Shas

Post#18 » Jan 07 2017 12:59

My current list of what I own looks like this:
1 Ethereal On Hover Drone

1 Riptide
- Ion Accelerator
-SMS System
-Stim injector and EWO

30 Fire warriors (Strike)
3 Turrets (Ds8)