[750] Returning Player FLGS List

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
rpk0714
Shas

[750] Returning Player FLGS List

Post#1 » Jan 15 2017 02:42

Hi everyone,

I recently got back into Warhammer 40k after a long hiatus (last edition I played was 4th) and decided to start a Tau army. A friend of mine chose Space Marines for his army and we are going to be building our army nice and slowly and get some games in at our FLGS. We decided to start with a 750 points list.

I bought the following boxes:
- Start Collecting Tau
- Battleforce Tau Empire
- Kill Team

So these are the models available to me (and I don't plan on getting anything anytime soon, other than maybe a second team of stealth suits to field the Optimized Stealth Cadre formation)
Spoiler!
- 1 Crisis Commander
- 3 Crisis Suits
- 1 Ethereal
- 20 Firewarriors
- 10 Pathfinders
- 3 Stealth Suits
- 1 Devilfish
- 1 Broadside Suit
- 1 Ghostkeel Suit
- 6 Drones ? (don't know how many exactly, I havent put them together yet)

My goal is to get a solid (kind of) all comers list that isnt a cheese fest but it should be optimized in what it uses.
I'm not the biggest fan of "Pacific Rim" style lists that only uses the minimum amount of troops and then goes right to the Riptides and Stormsurges.

As I was out of the loop for quite some time, I cant really say HOW I want to accomplish winning with the units I have at my disposal. I only studied the codex, reddit and ATT for some inspiration to come up with a draft of my 750pts list. So this is where I would need the most help from my fellow (veteran) Tau players, as studying codices does not prepare you for the real battles.

Enough with the jibber jabber, here is the draft of my first list:

Combined Arms Detachment (749pts)

HQ - Ethereal (50pts)

ELITES - XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (52pts)
1x Crisis Shas'ui [2x Fusion Blaster]

ELITES - XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (52pts)
1x Crisis Shas'ui [2x Cyclic Ion Blaster]

ELITES - XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits (180pts)
1x Ghostkeel Shas'vre [Cyclic Ion Raker, Early Warning Override, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster]

TROOPS - Strike Team (200pts)
10x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle
1x TY7 Devilfish [Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

TROOPS - Strike Team (45pts)
5x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle

TROOPS - Strike Team (45pts)
5x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle

FAST ATTACK - Pathfinder Team (55pts)
5x Pathfinder

HEAVY SUPPORT - XV88 Broadside Battlesuits (70pts)
1x Broadside [Early Warning Override, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

My train of thought about what I put into this list:
The Ethereal joins the 10man strike team in the devilfish and unloads 30x S5AP5 shots into whatever needs to die, preferrably backed up by some markerlights to make every shot count.
The other two 5 man strike teams hold objectives.
The Broadside obviously sits back, tries to intercept deep striking units if possible and maybe even hold an objective while doing that.
The single Crisis suit teams deep strike where I need them to dispose of tanks or whatever I need blown up.
And the Ghostkeel will (hopefully) function as some kind of bullet sponge (as most MCs are, if what I read everywhere is right) and dish out some pain to whatever needs to die.

EDIT: I don't know if the 10 man strike team or a 10 man breacher team would be best to use with the ethereal. Any input on experiences with that would be greatly appreciated.

I would appreciate any input/criticism on my list and/or train of thought. If what I put together in my head will most likely not happen on the table or if there are any mistakes in my thinking, please let me know. I can handle any criticism, I just want to know what works/doesnt work and why.

If I made any mistakes regarding formatting or anything else, please let me know and I will fix them ASAP.

Return to “Cadre Building”