1850 ITC Tournament List

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Mirth
Shas'La

1850 ITC Tournament List

Post#1 » Jan 18 2017 06:26

Dear Members of ATT,

It is likely that a couple months from now I may be attending my first ITC tournament. From what I hear it will be quite large and highly competitive, so I have sought to make the best list I can, but now is the time for crowd sourcing. ;) Please give me any and all thoughts that come to mind, ask questions, and I shall endeavor to answer them to the best of my ability as well as taking critique under consideration. :) The list will be playtested, hopefully against similarly competitive armies, and I shall look to edit things as needed.

The main change between this tournament's rules and standard ITC is that only two formations/detachments are permitted, otherwise, as far as I am aware, everything remains the same. With that in mind, here is my list, and below it are my general thoughts on using it. I don't have scenarios at my disposal as of yet.

*****1850*****

*****Formation: Optimized Stealth Cadre- 696pts

Ghostkeel Team- 430pts
Ghostkeel Shas'vre w/ Target Lock, Cyclic Ion Raker, and TL Fusion Blaster
Ghostkeel Shas'vre w/ Target Lock, Cyclic Ion Raker, and TL Fusion Blaster
Ghostkeel Shas'vre w/ Cyclic Ion Raker and TL Fusion Blaster
(All Ghostkeels have their attendant drones)

XV25 Stealth Suits Team 1- 129pts
Stealth Shas'vre w/ Burst Cannon, Markerlight and Target Lock
Stealth Shas'ui w/ Burst Cannon
2x Marker Drones

XV25 Stealth Suits Team 2- 137pts
Stealth Shas'vre w/ Burst Cannon, Markerlight and Target Lock, Drone Controller
2x Marker Drones

*****Combined Arms Detachment, Farsight Enclaves- 1150pts

**HQ** 139pts

Crisis Commander
w/ XV84 (Markerlight, Target Lock), Neuroweb System Jammer, Drone Controller
2x Marker Drones

**Troops** 46pts

Crisis Suit
Bonding Knife Ritual

Crisis Suit
Bonding Knife Ritual

**Fast Attack** 530pts

Y'vahra Battlesuit
w/ Stimulant Injector

Y'vahra Battlesuit
w/ Stimulant Injector

**Lord of War** 435

Stormsurge
w/ Pulse Driver Cannon, Airburst Fragmentation Projector, Shield Generator, Early Warning Override

*****Total*****

Tactics-
My thoughts are still in development and will no doubt continue to develop as I get the chance to playtest it, but here are my preliminary thoughts- Crisis Suits start in Reserve, will attempt to come in for objective holding later on in the game. The Stormsurge will attempt to deploy in either as inaccessible a spot as possible, or out in the open- if there are concerns with it being charged, the Ghostkeels will function as a shield.

The Y'vahras deploy behind terrain to block LoS, they will be focusing Knights and other high-priority targets, or simply leaping into the enemy backfield to wreak havoc. If the Ghostkeels are not shielding the SS, then they will be joining the Y'vahras in moving toward the enemy deployment zone in an attempt to force the opposition to react to the advancing forces.

The commander will deploy near one of the stealth teams (both of which will deploy in cover) and will join the one that doesn't have the Drone controller during the first turn, giving that squad 5 BS5 markerlights, and 4 markerlights at BS3 on the rest of the board- while this is not an overwhelming number of markerlights, the Y'vahras and Ghostkeels should have no need of them, allowing the SS to use all of them to help bolster its capabilities to the max.

Questions-
Can a Stormsurge fire all its destroyer missiles in one turn? I see no reason why not, but I was curious about it- if it can, then my priority with them will be to pick the most dangerous enemy unit and hit it with as many destroyer missiles as possible in the first turn, in case either the SS itself is focused down or the markerlights are wiped out.

That summarizes my thoughts so far- what do you think? Thank you in advance for critiques! :)
When we forget we are soldiers, we stop fighting.

Bolter&Rail
Shas

Re: 1850 ITC Tournament List

Post#2 » Jan 18 2017 10:06

I like the list and love all the units you are bringing. You definitely are pretty optimized on points and don't have a lot of room to make many adjustments (aka a full list). The ghostkeels will be tough to bring down with shooting given all their rules, the yvahras are survivable with the FnP on them, and a stormsurge is not a walk in the park either to handle. A couple of food for thought items:

-I am not overly familiar with XV84 suit on the commander and question if its better than a few more points for the Iridium armour making him much more survivable given that unit will be a target if it has 67% of your "effective" marker light hits. Would hate to see a handful of str8 shots tap that unit out even though they will be getting decent cover saves but remember other Tau armies could kill that unit easily (your list for example with Yvahras or ignore cover stormsurge pieplate)...

-I do like your idea of having 2-3 markerlight units rather than 1 commander with 4-6 drones since it will give you more flexibility, but dropping the stealth Shas'vre free up points, just not sure how else to get markerlights into the list then so maybe what you have is best

-It would be nice to get a few more durable markerlights in the list to make sure the stormsurge is fully supported. As you mentioned you have 6 marker points a turn without casualties which isn't bad but your stealth suits and commander are likely early targets given the stormsurge will be out of range for most armies, no one wants to fire at ghostkeels, and the yvahras you will be protecting/hiding (as you should). By turn 2 you could be down a lot of marker support as mentioned earlier with how your army could kill that unit turn 1b for example.

-If you can squeeze an EWO on at least one Yvahra that will make you much more comfortable against marines (skyhammer). The yvahra creates a ~32 inch diameter no deep strike zone that will kill a unit of anything that comes in. This can save you from turn 1 assaults or grav or just podding marines in general.

-You could accommodate some of the above changes by dropping the fusions blasters on 1-2 of the ghostkeels. Given they are a unit and have target lock it's unlikely you are going to have multiple targets in melta range unless your focusing on a knight and then have yvahras to help as well. So maybe 1-2 Ghostkeels with burst cannons that are still hitting rear amour on vehicles would give you some spare points for EWO or Iridium if you wanted to playtest that as well. The Neuroweb system jammer is great but I always forget to use it so could take out those points if needed hahaha

Like I said, overall I like the list and honestly would try playtesting it as you have it and see if you struggle with markerlights or not come turn 2. I think 1+ EWO on a Yvahra will be very helpful against marines so would do that regardless. All the rest is just if you feel comfortable with your marker support for the stormsurge.

To answer your question yes the stormsurge can fire all its D missiles turn 1. You must declare how many you are using and to what targets before rolling per ITC so there is the risk of overkill but for the right target(s) its worth it. Main issue is the markerlights will need to be in range/alive turn 1 and with only 6 marker hits you are just at the cusp because it will take 4 to get strD and 2 to improve to BS5 which is what you want when firing those missiles (worse case you save one missile for turn 2).

Seems like a fun list that will pack a punch though so interested to hear how it goes. Let me know how playtesting some of this stuff goes as well

Mirth
Shas'La

Re: 1850 ITC Tournament List

Post#3 » Jan 20 2017 06:46

Bolter&Rail, thanks for the thoughtful reply!

I could drop the XV84 in exchange for Iridium- the main advantage of the XV84 is that it comes, default, with a markerlight and target lock, giving me five BS5 markerlights in a unit once he joins one of the stealth suit teams. My thought was to just bury them in cover (and thereby boost it to a 2+ cover save if possible) but it is a concern. There are, unfortunately, a number of things that could kill it without trying too hard- in the first turn I'll probably have to keep them entirely out of LoS to keep them alive, just in case the opposition steals the initiative- even then there is no guarantee. :(

That was the problem I was running into when building the list- how to get markerlights in the list for the Stormsurge. Eventually a friend suggested the stealth teams (which I normally run with no upgrades and minimum models) and, with a bit of tinkering, I was able to get the drones/markerlights in that are there. The main issue with dropping the drones out of there and losing the markerlights in the stealth teams is that it really does put all the markerlights in a drone squad with a commander- effective, but it paints a huge target on that unit and could remove the Stormsurge's teeth before the game begins with a nice blast template in turn 1, at least from a wise opponent. I'll definitely experiment with it, though. :)

As for the EWO, I can drop the Neuroweb Jammer (which I too forget to use pretty often) and easily get an EWO on one of the Y'vahras, while playing around with secondary weapons on the Ghostkeels should be able to net the points for a second EWO. Thank you, I shall modify points and the list accordingly once I have decided what to do. :)

Thanks for the clarification on the Stormsurge- while it may be overkill to fire all the D missiles at the scariest thing, if they do have something which is that scary, I would rather it was dead on turn one due to D missile overload than either my Stormsurge dying with missiles unused, or having no markerlights in turn 2 to fire any remaining missiles. But yeah, there are just enough markerlights to make it happen (I entirely agree about boosting it to BS5), so at least getting the majority off in the first turn would be best. :)

Thank you again! I shall update as I get the chance to playtest the list and modify accordingly.
When we forget we are soldiers, we stop fighting.

Return to “Cadre Building”