[1850] First Cadre, looking for suggestions

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Pogman
Shas'Saal

[1850] First Cadre, looking for suggestions

Post#1 » Jan 19 2017 05:05

Hey all, so this is my first swing at building a proper Cadre. I think i've got my basis mostly covered, hopefully enough markerlights, etc. I'm not entirely sure what to do with the fire warriors, they'll have obsec so that's good, but I just get this gut feeling that just the squads without any protection (tidewall? transport?) they may be somewhat exposed on their way. Also, the idea will be to infiltrate Shadowsun and have her join the plasma crisis squad along with the commander from the ret cadre. In any event, any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated! :D

+++ Tau, Troop Heavy (Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition v2019) (1850pts) +++

++ Combined Arms Detachment (Tau Empire: Codex (2015) v2007) (531pts) ++

+ HQ (195pts) +

········Commander Shadowsun (195pts) [2x MV52 Shield Drone, MV62 Command-link Drone]

+ Troops (216pts) +

········Strike Team (54pts) [6x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle]

+ Fast Attack (120pts) +

········TX4 Piranhas (120pts)
············TX4 Piranha [Burst Cannon, Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines]
············TX4 Piranha [Burst Cannon, Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines]

++ Formation Detachment (Tau Empire: Codex (2015) v2007) (1319pts) ++

+ Formation (1319pts) +

········Drone-Net VX1-0 (280pts)
············Drones [4x MV7 Marker Drone]

········Retaliation Cadre (1039pts)
············Commander
················XV8 Commander Crisis Suit [Neuroweb System Jammer, 2x Plasma Rifle, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit]
············XV104 Riptide Battlesuits
················Riptide Shas'vre [Early Warning Override, Ion Accelerator, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

············XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
················Crisis Shas'ui [2x Plasma Rifle]
················Crisis Shas'vre [Command and Control Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Puretide Engram Neurochip]

················Crisis Shas'ui [2x Fusion Blaster]

············XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual, 6x MV8 Missile Drone]
················Broadside [Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System, Velocity Tracker]
················Broadside [Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System, Velocity Tracker]

Mirth
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: [1850] First Cadre, looking for suggestions

Post#2 » Jan 19 2017 06:13

Pogman, a fine start to your cadre! Just a couple of thoughts come to mind on the first read through-

I'm pretty sure that the Drone Net formation is only a four squad formation, but I could be wrong. Personally, I would probably drop the Disruption Pods for the Pirahnas, as it is an expensive upgrade for them both, as they don't have a massive output in terms of damage, but the disruption pod significantly increases their cost.

The one other thing I would consider is removing the Velocity Trackers from your Broadsides and giving them Target Locks instead. The reason being is that the target locks are a lot of points for a situational item and you have quite a few marker drones to help with making it easier to shoot fliers, even though the drones themselves need to snap fire. If you give the broadsides target locks, it allows the unit to engage two targets (or more).

That's just my initial thoughts, hope they help! Let us know how the force works! :)
When we forget we are soldiers, we stop fighting.

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 19 2017 10:21

Thanks! I'll incorporate those suggestions. I'm not sure how prevalent flyers are now in the meta, but I figured better safe than sorry. That'll free up some points that go elsewhere.

Any suggestions on how to acquire/convert markerlight drone minis?

Mirth
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jan 19 2017 10:34

For the marker drones I'm just taking pieces of pulse carbines and using them, with a little trimming, etc. If they need more bulk I may make use of pieces of sprues as necessary to give them a little more bulk- honestly there's not much to a marker drone, so its fairly easy to piece together something decent, imo. :)
When we forget we are soldiers, we stop fighting.

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 19 2017 10:41

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind. I'm also sure most players won't care too much if it's not wysiwyg.

Also, I revised my list, I revised my list and removed 2 of the strike teams and made them a big unit of sniper Kroot that would infiltrate with Shadowsun turn 1. Updated list below-

+++ Tau, Troop Heavy (Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition v2019) (1850pts) +++

++ Combined Arms Detachment (Tau Empire: Codex (2015) v2007) (579pts) ++

+ HQ (195pts) +

········Commander Shadowsun (195pts) [2x MV52 Shield Drone, MV62 Command-link Drone]

+ Troops (246pts) +

········Kroot Carnivores (106pts) [16x Kroot, Sniper Rounds]

········Strike Team (70pts) [Bonding Knife Ritual, 7x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle]

········Strike Team (70pts) [Bonding Knife Ritual, 7x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle]

+ Fast Attack (138pts) +

········TX4 Piranhas (138pts)
············TX4 Piranha [Blacksun Filter, Burst Cannon, Sensor Spines]

++ Formation Detachment (Tau Empire: Codex (2015) v2007) (1271pts) ++

+ Formation (1271pts) +

········Drone-Net VX1-0 (280pts)

········Retaliation Cadre (991pts)
············Commander
················XV8 Commander Crisis Suit [Neuroweb System Jammer, 2x Plasma Rifle, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit]
············XV104 Riptide Battlesuits
················Riptide Shas'vre [Early Warning Override, Ion Accelerator, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]
················Crisis Shas'vre [Command and Control Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Puretide Engram Neurochip]
············XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [6x MV8 Missile Drone]
················Broadside [Target Lock, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]
················Broadside [Target Lock, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

Stranger In T'aun
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jan 20 2017 06:55

One thing that Proiteus pointed out in his own army list (viewtopic.php?f=52&t=25209) is that drone squadrons of four have to take a leadership test (Ld=7) after a single drone gets killed, so he likes to take squads of five. That makes a lot of sense to me. Based on that, four squads of five might serve you better than five squads of four. Same models, just in a different arrangement.

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jan 20 2017 11:30

Good call, list has been modified to 4 units of 5. I can dig it. I think i'll have two in my backlines with my fire warriors (so that even if the other two die the other drones on the map will still have +1 BS) and the other two will attempt to outflank (subject to how the board is actually arranged of course). Between the piranhas, infiltrating kroot, and maybe the fire warriors there should be enough distraction turn 1 to at least get some of the marker drones alive and in position.

A side question, I am kinda stuck between what upgrade to give my broadsides. I've heard varying things from velocity trackers, to EWO, to multi locks. I can see the benefit of any and all of them, but i'm not really sure which is best in the current meta. Admittedly, EWO and multilocks are both 5 points so I can swap to them if I see that my opponent won't be having any reserves.

Return to “Cadre Building”