[850pts] FSE - Competitive mech only?

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
JustGreg
Shas

Re: [850pts] FSE - Competitive mech only?

Post#11 » Jan 26 2017 12:12

Back again with some new thoughts, and a couple questions.

First off, when using an FSE CAD, and an OSC formation, which faction does the OSC belong to? Is it allied from tau empire? (just a logistics thing that I'm led to believe is legal, but cant quite see how it fits in the rules.)

I'm a growing fan of the coldstar idea in this list, gives me a strong skyfire option allowing me to save a potentially useless 20 points on a velocity tracker elsewhere. I see him being very useful while swooping; However, I'm not quite sure how you intend to use him for markerlighting, as it takes a turn to switch flying modes, and his drones are removed from the field while swooping. So, do you intend to land him into gliding each other turn (where he moves like a jump monstrous creature, which is 6inch/2d6 assault, isn't it?) and only use the MLs then? Sorry if I'm being dense but I don't follow how he works as a flying Mark'O but maintains his difficulty to kill by being flying in swooping mode.

Another question is, you don't have target lock on him, which seems problematic as he's probably going to want to focus different things to his marker drones. How highly do you value stims too? Can it save him from instant death on failed grounding tests?

Assuming I can work the above out, it seems very cool. so, give or take some tweaks to facilitate the above I'm looking at the following:

Spoiler!
FSE - 850pts

CAD
HQ - Commander - 176pts

Coldstar battlesuit, Drone controller, Neuroweb system jammer, 2 Marker drones

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 58pts
2 Plasma rifles, EWO, BKR

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 58pts

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 58 pts

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 53pts
2 Missile pods, BKR

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 53pts
2 Missile pods, BKR

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 33pts
2 Flamers, BKR

Optimised Stealth Cadre Formation
Ghostkeel - 141 pts

Cyclic ion raker, Fusion blaster, BKR

Stealth team - 110pts
Shas'vre, ML + TL, Fusion blaster

Stealth team - 110pts
Shas'vre, ML + TL, Fusion blaster

Considerations:
>having a full 6 ObSec monats seems really good, but:
>flamer monat is probably greedy, and definitely more situational, should I disperse it's points for upgrades on commander and/or ghostkeel?
> beacon on the stealth teams to bring in suits turn 2? (Probably want them all on the board turn one in this size game?)
upgrades?
>You included CDS on the stealth burst cannon users, quite situational, worth?
>EWOs on plasma monats for deep strike safety, should one EWO be on a missile pod one instead?

rulings?
>Everything above on coldstar usage
>Do the stealth teams need to take BKR? (I don't think they're FSE, so, no?)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by JustGreg on Jan 26 2017 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

JustGreg
Shas

Post#12 » Jan 26 2017 12:42

[double post as editing in a second spoiler breaks both...]

I've also made a non-flying version of the list. Only thoughts are that monats, being single units, don't make good use of the markerlights, so I've consider pairing them up perhaps for more efficiency at the cost of being slightly more vulnerable, thoughts on that? Also lost the 'vre and target locks on the stealth teams to free up points. Not sure how I feel about that.
Spoiler!
CAD
HQ - Commander - 176pts

Drone controller, Iridium armour, Shield Gen, Flamer, 2 marker drones

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 116pts

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 58 pts

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 106pts
2 Missile pods, BKR
2 Missile pods, BKR

Fast attack - Drone Squadron - 70
1 additional drone, 5 markerlights

Optimised Stealth Cadre Formation
Ghostkeel - 141 pts

Cyclic ion raker, Fusion blaster, BKR

Stealth team - 95pts
Fusion blaster

Stealth team - 95pts
Fusion blaster

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jan 26 2017 02:41

FSE+formations:
You can decide for each formation seperately whether it should belong to the FSE or the TE. Since FSE gives your OSC nothing and only adds a BKR tax you should just play them as TE formation (except for fluff reasons maybe).

Coldstar Mark'O usage:
Mainly staying on the ground and do what a Mark'O does with the option to quickly dodge nasty enemy units and/or give up his Mark'O role for a turn (or more) to shoot something from a different angle/hiding behind los blocking terrain etc.

I value Stim on him VERY high. In fact I'd want both, Stim AND Shield, on him but the Drone Controller takes one of those slots and unless he gets shot at with S8+ AP3 while he is alone and not flying Stim is better. If he flies he can jink for a 4+ Cover Save and if he is on the ground he can Look Out Sir! nasty wounds to one of his two Drones.
You can't save him from failed grounded tests with Stim since it's S9 and he has only T4 (that's pretty much the main problem with the Coldstar variant).

A Target Lock would be very nice but as said there is no free spot for an additional Support System left. It shouldn't matter too much on that point level though.

The movement with such a unit would be kinda tricky. He is no Jetpack MC so he has no thrust move (so no 2d6 movement for him in the assault phase) but a Jumppack MC instead (so 12" movement in the movementphase if you want to).
However the Drones are obviously still Jetpack Infantry. That means you can move in the movementphase 6" with the Drones and up to 12" with your Commander as long as they stay in coherency. In your assaultphase the Drones would be able to use their Thrustmove to jump back behind cover etc. but your Commander can't.

The Coldstar Mark'O is primarily a Markerlight source and only secondarily a fighting Commander.
I can only repeat myself, the Coldstar Mark'O IS, without doubt, worse than the normal Mark'O. However at that point level and with an OSC included, which is largeley independent Markerlight-wise, he has an interesting place in the list i think.

Counterfire Defense System:
Ah well...to be completely honest Stealth Suits are best completely naked with MAYBE a Fusion Blaster added. They are just too expensive and the OSC is the only way how they can do anything worthwhile. The CDS is just me playing around and trying to make them look more scary for the enemy (8 S5 + 1 S8 AP1 Overwatch shots with BS2 or 12 S5 ones sounds scary enough on the paper for most enemies even though they rarely do much^^). You can easily spend the points somewhere else if you want to. 20p are 20p afterall. :D

To your list:
Monats are generally great....except for one thing. Markerlights become extremely inefficient if only 1 model can use them every time. Hence why I put 2 Plasma Crisis and 2 MP Crisis in a unit in my list.
The advantage would be that Monats survive longer since if the enemy shoots at them and kills them (he WILL kill them if he shoots at them) he can always only kill one Crisis Suit per Unit + you can spread your ObSec area more.
I honestly wouldn't rely on Deep Strike with more than 1-2 Monats in such low point level games and those I would try to drop in his backfield so beacons wouldn't help much with that. Save those points for something else. ;)

JustGreg
Shas

Post#14 » Jan 26 2017 03:10

Hey, thanks for the comprehensive response, really appreciate clearing these things up.

I think I'll probably revert to a ground based commander, possibly with some more markers again, maybe a minimum unit of drones, and paired suits to better utilise them. Will look at some list options and post later or tomorrow.

One last consideration is going back to CAD only and squeezing in the riptide over the stealth suits. I value the OSC a lot, but it'd be fun to have the 'tide in there too. Especially with a fully functional mark'O.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#15 » Jan 26 2017 03:18

Without the OSC a Mark'O would definitely make more sense (even though a Riptide usually only needs 2 to ignore Cover).

Just play a few test games to get a feeling for your list and see if you really need that many Markerlights in the first place.

Return to “Cadre Building”