1000 points first list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Prometheo
Shas'Saal

1000 points first list

Post#1 » Jan 25 2017 11:28

Hi everyone! I am a long time player who recently got back into the whole 40k thing.

I got some Tau and I was wondering about the best way to use them. My usual opponents are SM and similar armies (GK, BA, SW...) with the odd exception.

At first I thought about making a CAD in order to hace OS troops. Or should I strive to fit into a metaformation? Fluffwise I prefer Farsight Enclaves (and scoring crisises sounds nice), but it's not a requisite.

My current collection allows me to field the following.

CAD
Drone-buffing commander with 2x missile pods, iridium, drone controller and target lock

Riptide with 2 SM drones, Ion, EWO and injector.

3 crisis, one of them with 2x fusion blasters and target lock, and two others with 2x plasma rifles and shield
Strike team with marking leader and SMS pod

5 marking drones
4 gun drones

Broadside with 2 missile drones, HYMP and SMS, EWO

These make about 1100 points so I need to drop something for the time being. Gun drones maybe? Stuff from the strike team?

I have some more marker and gun drones available, another strike team, 2 ethereals and 3 more crisis.

Any advice? Will this work? What should I get painted to advance to 1500 points?

Thank you very much

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: 1000 points first list

Post#2 » Jan 25 2017 12:14

3 crisis, one of them with 2x fusion blasters and target lock, and two others with 2x plasma rifles and shield
Strike team with marking leader and SMS pod

Drop the shield on the Crisis. Shield and Stim only really make sense on Commander, Riptide, Ghostkeel and Stormsurge. For only 7p more than a Shield you could just as easily get a shiny new Crisis Suit which equals two additional guaranteed wounds instead of a 50% chance to save a wound in case someone has a AP1-3 weapon.

Also you only need the target lock if the Fusion Blaster Crisis is in the same unit as the other Crisis. However I wouldn't do that since you usually want to be much closer with your Fusion Blaster and it's perfectly fine to let him walk around on his own (or even Deep Strike him).

A Strike Team Shas'ui with Markerlights is...okay-ish. The problem is that his own unit doesn't benefit from his Markerlight at all and you only have a 50% chance to hit with it anyway which is not good for a single Markerlight shot. Also you already have 5 BS5 Markerlights in your list with the Mark'O and his Drones so you really don't need that one. ^^

Prometheo
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 25 2017 06:22

Nice hints. You are right on that.

Now I have some model reworking to do :P

Anything else?

Wooday218
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 30 2017 12:38

Here's a list that I used before and worked really well, comes in at 1049pts but will give you the coordinatedetails firepower rule (if 3 units fire same target +1BS) and are in a Hunter Cadre formation. You have all but the Pathfinder models.

Commander (172pts)
2x MV7 Marker Drone (24pts)
XV8 Commander Crisis Suit (63pts)
Drone Controller (8pts), Fusion Blaster (15pts), Plasma Rifle (15pts), XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit (25pts)

Elite
XV104 Riptide Battlesuits (275pts)
2x MV84 Shielded Missile Drone (50pts)
Early Warning Override (5pts), Ion Accelerator (5pts), Stimulant Injector (35pts), Twin-linked Plasma Rifle

Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
Fusion Blaster (15pts), Plasma Rifle (15pts)

Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
Fusion Blaster (15pts), Plasma Rifle (15pts)

Fast Attack
Pathfinder Team
4x Pathfinder (44pts)

Heavy Support

XV88 Broadside Battlesuit(118pts)
Seeker Missile (8pts), Shield Generator (25pts), Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System, Velocity Tracker (20pts)

XV88 Broadside Battlesuit (118pts)
Seeker Missile (8pts), Shield Generator (25pts), Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System, Velocity Tracker (20pts)

Troops
Strike Team (54pts)
6x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle (54pts)

Strike Team (54pts)

Strike Team (54pts)

Auxiliary (56pts)
Drone Network
4x MV7 Marker Drone (56pts)

Commander will join the Drone Network giving them all bs5 marker lights, Pulse rifles from strike teams will coordinate fire with rapid fire at bs5 to bring any assault threat down and riptide will do what he does best, crisis are deepstricking tank openers

Hope this gives you ideas

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 30 2017 09:29

Two quick thoughts from me regarding Wooday's suggestions, though I dig the list.

1. I worry about putting the drones on the riptide. One gets shot off and you have a chance of running.

2. Drone Networks by their rules require at minimum 4 squads of 4 drones, so that would bump up the cost a bit. You could obviously just take a squad of drones, but they don't get the networked boost of +1 BS, jink, interceptor, etc.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 31 2017 12:04

Pogman wrote:Two quick thoughts from me regarding Wooday's suggestions, though I dig the list.

1. I worry about putting the drones on the riptide. One gets shot off and you have a chance of running.

2. Drone Networks by their rules require at minimum 4 squads of 4 drones, so that would bump up the cost a bit. You could obviously just take a squad of drones, but they don't get the networked boost of +1 BS, jink, interceptor, etc.

There are two Drone-Net formations. One gives you a crapload of special rules and indeed has to be taken in at least 4x4. The other can't be taken as stand alone formation but instead only in a Hunter Contingent as Auxiliary choice. That one doesn't give any special rules and is one unit of 4 Drones minimum. ;)

I agree on the Riptide thing though.

Prometheo
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Feb 19 2017 04:14

Forgot to check this thread!

Yeah, after trying this I have to agree on maybe dropping the shields on the crisis (crisises?) and although I didn't suffer the Riptide-fleeing thing I reckon you have a point there. Off they go then.

Thank you very much everyone for the awesome advice.

Return to “Cadre Building”