[1000pts] Two list comparison

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
JustGreg
Shas

[1000pts] Two list comparison

Post#1 » Jan 31 2017 07:42

As topic says, have been looking at some "all mech" lists at 1000 points.

List one @ 1000pts
FSE - CAD
HQ - Commander - 199pts

Iridium, Shield gen, Drone controller, 2 Missile pods, Target lock, 2 marker drones

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 53pts
2 Missile pods, BKR

2 Missile pods, BKR

2 plasma rifles, BKR

2 plasma rifles, BKR

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 33pts
2 flamers, BKR

Riptide battlesuit - 226pts
Ion accelerator, TL SMS, Stimulant injector, EWO, BKR

Optimised Stealth Cadre Formation
Ghostkeel - 140pts

CIR, TL Fusion blaster

Stealth team - 95 points
Fusion blaster

Stealth team - 95 points
Fusion blaster

pros:
-More ObSec monats = more footprint = more dakka.
-OSC runs without need for markerlights

cons:
-Flamers are very situational
-Less markerlight support for Riptide (Ideally wanting remove cover for pie plates every round)

List two @ 999pts
FSE - CAD
HQ - Commander - 175pts

Iridium, Shield gen, Drone controller, 2 Missile pods, Target lock

2 Missile pods, BKR

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 58pts
2 plasma rifles, EWO, BKR

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 58pts
2 plasma rifles, EWO, BKR

Troops - Crisis battlesuit - 43pts
2 Burst cannons, BKR

Fast attack - Drone Squadron - 56pts
4 Markerlights

Riptide battlesuit - 226pts
Ion accelerator, TL SMS, Stimulant injector, EWO, BKR

Optimised Stealth Cadre Formation
Ghostkeel - 140pts

CIR, TL Fusion blaster

Stealth team - 95 points
Fusion blaster

Stealth team - 95 points
Fusion blaster

pros:
-reliably going to get 2+ markerlights with drone squadron
-BC still covers horde threats but can plink up to AV 11, fires from a safer distance
-EWOs on plasma suits increased reserve denial footprint

cons:
-One less missile-crisis for backfield objectives

Which list would you run and why?
Would you make any changes to either?

Thanks as always.

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: [1000pts] Two list comparison

Post#2 » Feb 01 2017 01:24

Definitely the second. Maybe with a bit of adjustments. Like BC on Crisis are just bad (well they are bad generally for us). You get S5 AP5 with more range a lot cheaper through Firewarrior, Drones and/or Piranha. If you want anti-horde with Crisis go with Flamer or with something others can't take like the Cyclic Ion Blaster. Same range as the Burst Cannon, one less shot but with the profile of a Missile Pod.

JustGreg
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 01 2017 02:44

Panzer wrote:Definitely the second. Maybe with a bit of adjustments. Like BC on Crisis are just bad (well they are bad generally for us). You get S5 AP5 with more range a lot cheaper through Firewarrior, Drones and/or Piranha. If you want anti-horde with Crisis go with Flamer or with something others can't take like the Cyclic Ion Blaster. Same range as the Burst Cannon, one less shot but with the profile of a Missile Pod.

I agree I wouldn't run BC on crisis in a larger list, but at 1000 points (and because it fits pointwise) the BC crisis will bring a lot of volume of fire that the list doesn't otherwise have, without having to suicide to get in range like flamers, and actually works against MEQs.

But... A lot cheaper? Dual BC crisis is still on a stronger, more mobile frame with 8 shots at 18" plus thrust move for 43 points, by comparison, it's 45 points for 10 shots of pulse rifle at 15", or 8 shots at 18" on a piranha for 40 points, while losing ObSec. So while you're technically right there are more point-efficient ways to get S5 AP5 shots in tau, I'm not sure that I prefer the other options. But maybe I just have a thing for crisis suits.

Appreciate the feedback, could you possibly be more specific? What would you choose over the BC suit to round out this list for TAC?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#4 » Feb 01 2017 02:55

JustGreg wrote:
Panzer wrote:Definitely the second. Maybe with a bit of adjustments. Like BC on Crisis are just bad (well they are bad generally for us). You get S5 AP5 with more range a lot cheaper through Firewarrior, Drones and/or Piranha. If you want anti-horde with Crisis go with Flamer or with something others can't take like the Cyclic Ion Blaster. Same range as the Burst Cannon, one less shot but with the profile of a Missile Pod.

I agree I wouldn't run BC on crisis in a larger list, but at 1000 points (and because it fits pointwise) the BC crisis will bring a lot of volume of fire that the list doesn't otherwise have, without having to suicide to get in range like flamers, and actually works against MEQs.

But... A lot cheaper? Dual BC crisis is still on a stronger, more mobile frame with 8 shots at 18" plus thrust move for 43 points, by comparison, it's 45 points for 10 shots of pulse rifle at 15", or 8 shots at 18" on a piranha for 40 points, while losing ObSec. So while you're technically right there are more point-efficient ways to get S5 AP5 shots in tau, I'm not sure that I prefer the other options. But maybe I just have a thing for crisis suits.

Appreciate the feedback, could you possibly be more specific? What would you choose over the BC suit to round out this list for TAC?

More specific than Flamer or Cyclic Ion Blaster? :D
Either trading some range for auto-hits + cover ignore and 10p cheaper by taking double flamer instead or
trading 2 shots for S7 AP4 over S5 AP5 at the cost of 10p more. Those are pretty much the two choices you'd have for anti-horde crisis. Don't even think about AFP, they suck. :P

Return to “Cadre Building”