Some help required with my new Tau

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Slikolas
Shas

Some help required with my new Tau

Post#1 » Feb 20 2017 08:10

Hello, I've recently decided to start a Tau army, and whilst I've read the codex and a lot (and I mean a lot) of posts, I'm still struggling to come up with a list for the models I currently have.

All kits are currently on sprue a still so I am completely open, and I'm going to try my hand at magnetising my suits as I have read that is the way to go.

I currently have the following.

Start Collecting Box
Pathfinder team with Devilfish
Commander
Broadside x 1

I'm aware that I can only currently field a small points list at the moment, and my main opponent is my brother's Iron Warriors and soon his Thousand Sons (when he paints them) so any list that I do create needs to be competitive but fun, we don't like totally dominating each other every game.

I'm open to any suggestion, but need to stick with what I have available at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: Some help required with my new Tau

Post#2 » Feb 20 2017 08:41

That's a good start and nothing you can build with it will be over the top so don't worry about going all out. ;)

I'd put the Firewarrior from the Start Collecting Box definitely in the Devilfish. Whether you prefer the long ranged Pulse Rifle Strike Team or the hard hitting super close ranged Breacher Team is up to you. Personally I prefer Breacher in a Devilfish since i despite Gunline lists. ;)
However since you need 2 Troop choices you'd have to split them unless you play with Farsight Enclave rules and a unit of 5 Breacher is not that impressive so considering your situation I'd go with a unit of 5 with Pulse Rifle and the DS8 Smart Missile System turret for backfield camping and a unit of 5 with Pulse Rifle in the Devilfish for a bit more mobile Objective hunting unit.

The Broadside is a nobrainer. High Yielded Missile Pods and either Smart Missile System or Plasma Rifle (I'd go with the Smart Missile System for the range and 4 twin linked S5 AP5 shots that don't require Line of Sight and Ignores Cover is always good).

Pathfinder. Traditionally they are your Markerlight Source. Those would be played without any upgrades at all to keep them relatively cheap. However they get outshined by literally any other available dedicated Markerlight Source except for generic Markerlight Drones on their own.
If you want to you can try to use a unit of 4 with 3 Rail Rifles and a unit of 6 without upgrades so you have another heavy hitting unit but be prepared to lose them as soon as anything targets them. T3 with a 5+ save is really squishy and with the Rail Rifle they cost 26p each.

What's left are your Crisis and the Commander. Well that's a bit tricky. At this point we are at about 375 points (with the 10 Pathfinder without upgrades version). So the most likely game size is 500 points.
At that size you usually don't need Fusion Blaster yet so Plasma Rifle or Missile Pods would be better. Since your Broadside already has plenty of S7 AP4 long range dakka to offer and you are about to face a lot of powerarmor the Plasma Rifle would be better. So a Crisis unit of 3x2 Plasma Rifle.

That pushes you already a good bit over 500p and you still have no HQ choice. There are also some Drones and the Ethreal left (which I wouldn't use tbh).

So the HQ. Your Commander. There are several good loadouts for him and almost all of them focus around him supporting the rest of your army instead of doing the damage himself. After all he doesn't do more damage than any Crisis Suit after hitting the enemy with two Markerlights.
Now the problem is that you already have 10 Pathfinder (best played as 2x5) for Markerlights which is plenty for that point level so a Mark'O would be over the top. You'd end up with way too many Markerlights each turn unless the enemy gets rid of your Pathfinder very quickly early on effectively wasting points on something you don't use.
So even though it's probably the best Commander loadout I think for that point size and with your available models a Buff'O for your Plasma Crisis would work much better.
Means Multi Spectrum Sensor, Command and Control Node and the Puretide Neurochip. That way your Crisis unit re-rolls to-hit rolls with their weapons which also automatically Ignore Cover. Pretty neat on AP2 weapons. ;) Oh right they have tank hunter as well if you chose so in case you face some light/medium vehicle your Broadside can't deal with in time.
Don't bother with weapons on that Commander though since the MSS and CCN prevent him from using those. If you want to you could invest in an Iridium Suit, Shield Gen and Stim Injector so he can stand infront of his friends and tank enemy shooting with his 2+ armor, 4++ invul and Feel no Pain.

This pushes the list to slightly above 700 points now. Still no Drones. You might be tempted to add a unit of Gun-Drones and they aren't even bad on that point level but later on you'd wish to have them build as Markerlight-Drones, trust me.

So yeah here we are. Almost all of your models used and 750 points is a nice range to meet with friends between 500p and 1000p games. Just spend whatever points you have left for Devilfish upgrades (Sensor Spines and Disruption Pods are always nice!) and Shas'Ui upgrades for a slightly better chance to pass Leadership tests.

That's the strongest list I can think of with your stuff and since I used to play similar lists for quite some time i can assure you that it's far from too strong but still fun to play. ;)

Or in listform:
Spoiler!
741 Points

+ HQ +

Commander
XV8 Commander Crisis Suit [Command and Control Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Puretide Engram Neurochip, Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit]

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
Crisis Shas'ui [2x Plasma Rifle]

+ Troops +

Strike Team [5x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle]
TY7 Devilfish [2x MV1 Gun Drone, Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines]

Strike Team [4x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle]
DS8 Tactical Support Turret [Missile Pod]
Fire Warrior Shas'ui [Pulse Rifle]

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [5x Pathfinder]

Pathfinder Team [5x Pathfinder]

+ Heavy Support +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits
Broadside [Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

Slikolas
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 20 2017 12:42

Thank you so much! That is really helpful.

JubJub
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 21 2017 01:55

Additionally, if you have some extra points, you may want to consider purchasing Seeker Missiles for 8 points each (up to one on the Broadside and up to two on the Devilfish). Although they are one use only, Seeker Missiles are Strength 8, AP 3 Blast. By spending one Markerlight token, a Seeker Missile can be fired without LoS at BS 5 while Ignoring Cover. This option can supply some heavy infantry/armor that might be neglected otherwise.
"Gun Drone, get down!"
-Space Marine

Ohando
Shas'La

Post#5 » Feb 21 2017 02:36

I'd say, for this army size, drop most of the upgrades for the commander, and arm him with double plasma rifles, a drone controler and maybe the iridium BS. Make him grab a couple of gun drones, and some more with the crisis team. The combo commander/crisis/gun(or marker) drones (which will hit at bs5) will be a deadly force to deal with most of the marine team your brother will have.

You'll have enough markerlights to buff your crisis unit for them to kill most of what your opponent will throw at you.

At small point games, every units will need to pull their weights, and your backline of firewarriors/lone broadside is quite fragile. Your unit of crisis will have to be the spearhead of your forces, drawing firepower (drones are quite good to suck up wounds) and dealing heavy damage (AP2 is a blessing when facing marines) with the commander in the unit they'll have a leadership 10, so won't run off easily when morale checked. If your have the points/models i'd say add a few pathfinder to each of your units. With good positioning they should provide a good amount of marker lights in the early game (they'll be killed eventually, but their carbines could also take care of a few threats).

I have never played with devilfish before, but be wary, a 5man squad of fire warriors is quite fragile, so be smart with them.

Hope this will help! Welcome to Tau :D

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#6 » Feb 21 2017 05:23

Ohando wrote:I'd say, for this army size, drop most of the upgrades for the commander, and arm him with double plasma rifles, a drone controler and maybe the iridium BS. Make him grab a couple of gun drones, and some more with the crisis team. The combo commander/crisis/gun(or marker) drones (which will hit at bs5) will be a deadly force to deal with most of the marine team your brother will have.

You'll have enough markerlights to buff your crisis unit for them to kill most of what your opponent will throw at you.

At small point games, every units will need to pull their weights, and your backline of firewarriors/lone broadside is quite fragile. Your unit of crisis will have to be the spearhead of your forces, drawing firepower (drones are quite good to suck up wounds) and dealing heavy damage (AP2 is a blessing when facing marines) with the commander in the unit they'll have a leadership 10, so won't run off easily when morale checked. If your have the points/models i'd say add a few pathfinder to each of your units. With good positioning they should provide a good amount of marker lights in the early game (they'll be killed eventually, but their carbines could also take care of a few threats).

I have never played with devilfish before, but be wary, a 5man squad of fire warriors is quite fragile, so be smart with them.

Hope this will help! Welcome to Tau :D

I disagree.
It would n't really do more damage than the unit with the Buffmander but it would become a LOT more squishy. This unit is your beatstick in that list and you really don't want it to die or having to Look Out Sir! wounds to your regular Crisis.

It's true there are plenty of Markerlights but the less you need for the Crisis unit the more you have for your Firewarrior which turn with just 2 Markerlights from a meh hitting unit into a serious threat forcing the enemy to 'waste' firepower to remove some T3 models (which might be even hiding behind/in a Devilfish) instead of focussing on the bigger threat that is your Crisis unit or the Broadside.
Also Pathfinder die quick so once they are gone you'd lose a lot of the Crisis units firepower without the Buffmander. BS5 with Markerlights is good but BS3 with twin linked and Ignores Cover is better if your only source are Pathfinder.

Return to “Cadre Building”