1850 FSE - Looking for advice

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
greatgut
Shas

1850 FSE - Looking for advice

Post#1 » Feb 24 2017 07:14

Looking for some feedback on the below list, looking for something different to the usual Riptide Wing and Stormsurge. Really want to keep the Retaliation Cadre and Optimised Stealth Cadres. Obviously the drone net too!

Concerns are:
1) Firebase Supoort - want to get a second riptide in the list but didn't want to risk deepstriking a unit of two. Plus keeps some firepower on the table turn 1. Not sure if there is a better way?
2) The plasma suit team feel a bit small (only 3 suits shooting when the commander joins). But not sure where to drop points.
3) Are the homing beacons worth it to ensure accurate deepstrike?

+++ Tau FSE - (Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition v2019) (1848pts) +++

++ Formation Detachment (Tau Empire: Codex (2015) v2007) ++

+ Formation +

········Optimized Stealth Cadre
············XV25 Stealth Battlesuits
················Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon [Burst Cannon
················Stealth Shas'vre [Burst Cannon, Homing beacon

············XV25 Stealth Battlesuits
················Stealth Shas'vre [Fusion Blaster, Homing beacon]

············XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual]
················Ghostkeel Shas'vre [Cyclic Ion Raker, Early Warning Override, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster, Velocity tracker
················Ghostkeel Shas'vre [Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Target Lock, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster]

++ Tau Dawn Blade Contingent (Tau Empire: Codex (2015) v2007) ++

········Farsight Enclaves

+ Core +

········Retaliation Cadre
············Commander
················XV8 Commander Crisis Suit [Blacksun Filter, Multi-Tracker, Neuroweb System Jammer, 2x Plasma Rifle, Shield Generator, Target Lock, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit]

············XV104 Riptide Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual]
················Riptide Shas'vre [Early Warning Override, Ion Accelerator, Riptide Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked Fusion

············XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual]
················Crisis Shas'ui [2x Plasma Rifle
················Crisis Shas'ui [2x Plasma Rifle
················Crisis Shas'vre [Command and Control Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite]

················Crisis Shas'ui [2x Fusion Blaster]

················Crisis Shas'ui [2x Flamer]

············XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual]
················Broadside [Early Warning Override, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

+ Auxiliary +

········Drone-Net VX1-0
············Drones
················4x MV7 Marker Drone [4x Markerlight]
············Drones
············Drones
············Drones

········Firebase Support Cadre
············XV104 Riptide Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual]
················Riptide Shas'vre [Early Warning Override, Ion Accelerator, Riptide Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked Fusion Blaster

················Broadside [Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System

················Broadside [Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System

Raverrn
Shas'La

Re: 1850 FSE - Looking for advice

Post#2 » Feb 24 2017 10:43

The only other ways I could see would be a Riptide Wing - which is a fantastic option, but that'd be MAJOR list retooling - or a small CAD, which will mean taking a Commander tax. That might not be awful, you could make that second commander another plasma gunner. I'd say a CnC/MSS/PEN commander, but you really don't have much for him to join once the plasma squad is dead. On the other hand you'd be getting some objective secured units, and those are always useful.

Dropping points, the things that you could afford that stand out to me - Stims on the Riptides, FB on the Stealth teams, Dropping the Drone Net in exchange for an ~8 drone unit w/ Drone Controller Commander. That last one feels meh, but if you did decide to go CAD it gives you a use for that spare Commander.

And lastly, yeah. The beacons are spotty in effectiveness, but anything that lowers the odds of you losing a Riptide to mishap is pretty all right.

Mirth
Shas'La

Re: 1850 FSE - Looking for advice

Post#3 » Feb 24 2017 01:29

Greatgut- looks like a pretty solid list! A couple things do come to mind (I haven't done the points calculation, so please bear that in mind).

1. I know you want two Riptides in the list, but I really feel that unless you beef up the Broadside units, you're losing a lot of potential from the Firebase Cadre and they Broadsides are essentially funcitoning as a tax for the unit. Personally, I would say drop the Firebase Cadre and add another Ghostkeel to the OSC (as it looks like you only have two atm). The third Ghostkeel will make it so the unit effectively doesn't require any markerlight support, allowing your Drone Net to support other units, and is just a plain deadly unit.

2. With the Riptide in the Retaliation Cadre I would personally give it a SMS instead of the FB. While the FB is nice, it has little synergy with the IA that the Riptide is equipped with and to see any use requires the Riptide to be up close and personal- not an ideal location for a Riptide with an IA. Also, if the Riptide is deepstriking in a approximately 30 inches, it gives you a lot more room to play with when trying to find an ideal location for where it won't mishap.

3. For the two Broadsides you remove from the Firebase Cadre, you could either add them direct to your Retaliation Cadre (three Broadsides with relentless is a beautiful thing) or you could use their points to add more Crisis suits to your main crisis suit unit.

4. Rather than have a Crisis Shas'vre with CCN and MSS, I personally would make your commander a standard tank/support commander, and add a couple more Crisis suits. With them, either the PR or CIB are the way to go- CIB has higher rate of fire at max range and the higher strength- in many cases, the volume of fire will result in an overall more effective unit than the PR equipped version, but either one will work well, when applied properly.

Hope that helps a bit! Let us know how it works! :)
When we forget we are soldiers, we stop fighting.

Return to “Cadre Building”