Picking an 1850pt list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Spray & Pray
Shas'Saal

Picking an 1850pt list

Post#1 » Feb 26 2017 02:51

Hi, so I don't get to play as often as i'd like, and when I do, switch between my marines & Tau. I'm trying to settle into a semi competitive list that can take most comers and have a chance. Based on the models I own (no Riptides or Stormsurges!) and 4 detachments max.

I've come up with two fairly quick to play lists and would like help settling on one, rather then trying to play-test them both over a period of months.

Tau Farsight Enclaves CAD

HQ’s

Commander Shadowsun W/Command Link Drone

Commander W/C&C Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Puretide Chip, Iridium Armour, Stimulant Injector, Shield Generator & Vectored Retro-Thrusters

Troops

9 Crisis Suits
5 Crisis Suits W/2x Plasma Rifles, Target Locks & Bonding Knifes
2 Crisis Suits W/2x Fusion Blasters, Target Locks & Bonding Knifes
2 Crisis Suits W/2x Fusion Blasters & Bonding Knifes

10 Kroot

Heavy Support

Skyray Gunship W/TL Smart Missile System & Blacksun Filter

Optimised Stealth Cadre

3 Ghostkeels
Ghostkeel W/Cyclic Ion Raker, TL Fusion Blaster,Counterfire Defense System & Bonding Knife
Ghostkeel W/Cyclic Ion Raker, TL Fusion Blaster, Target Lock, Counterfire Defense System & Bonding Knife
Ghostkeel W/Cyclic Ion Raker, TL Fusion Blaster, Target Lock, Counterfire Defense System & Bonding Knife

3 StealthSuits

3 StealthSuits

Inquisition Detachment

Inquisitor W/3x Servo Skulls

Assassin Detachment

Culexus Assassin

Total= 1850pts

Pretty simple, Shadowsun gives the crisis suit unit a 3d6 move & Stealth + Shrouding, command link drone effectively twin links the OSC Ghostkeels and everything else plays supporting roles. The kroot are for a bit of movement blocking, along with the skyray if needs be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List B

Tau Farsight Enclaves CAD

HQ’s

Aun'do

Commander W/C&C Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Puretide Chip, Iridium Armour, Stimulant Injector, Shield Generator, Neuroweb System Jammer & Vectored Retro-Thrusters

Troops

9 Crisis Suits
7 Crisis Suits W/2x Missile Pods,Target Locks & Bonding Knifes
2 Crisis Suits W/2x Missile Pods & Bonding Knifes

Crisis Suit W/2x Missile Pods & Bonding Knifes

Heavy Support

Skyray Gunship W/TL Smart Missile System, Disruption Pod & Blacksun Filter

Ghostkeel Wing

Ghostkeel W/Cyclic Ion Raker, TL Fusion Blaster & Early Warning Override

Inquisition Detachment

Inquisitor W/3x Servo Skulls

Assassin Detachment

Culexus Assassin

Total= 1849pts

This list has less kill points, better leadership manipulation & allot more anti air & range, at the expense of AP2 weapons & some maneuverability. Aun'do is a data-slate character for those that don't know, he is fearless and comes with the warlord trait that allows all Tau units to get back up in one game turn, after going to ground. That could combo well with the Ghostkeel wing I feel. I haven't tried it before, but I imagine Zephyrs grace and marker-light support from the skyrays, could make the crisis suit unit surprisingly mobile, even with Aun'do in the unit.

Raverrn
Shas'La

Re: Picking an 1850pt list

Post#2 » Feb 26 2017 03:14

If you're going to be fiercely competitive - which I think you're getting at, judging by the Assassin and Inquisitor - then the first list is going to be better for you, I think. Deathstars are going to be a real big issue, and Shadowsun's 3d6 move will help in keeping you out of reach of bikes or wolves. Aside from that the OSC isn't awful at AA, they've got the number of shots for it, and the ignores cover and rear-armor shenanigans help in bringing stuff like Fire Raptors down.

Spray & Pray
Shas'Saal

Re: Picking an 1850pt list

Post#3 » Feb 27 2017 03:39

Hi Ravern,

Cheers for the feedback. Both lists are designed for a varied meta, the culexus and inquisitor are just another tool in the box I figure when it comes to making a take most comers list.

Shadowsuns 3d6 move is indeed clutch, I've used her before in the big crisis unit and it moves fast! With a mix of plasma and fusion, that unit can tear most things apart (if psychics are shut down).

On the other hand the 1st list lacks range, I played vs a daemons star a while back, and without a strong alpha strike and hoping for 1st turn, I was pretty done for!

I've also had my OSC more then once, had LD reduced and then made to run. The issue with the 2nd list is, ive run the Missile Pods before and it falls down against fast assaulting armies with allot of 2+ saves.

Return to “Cadre Building”