I need advice on a army, I am new to warhammer and even if tau is not the best for new players, I will be playing tau.

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Shas'Vre_Ta'u
Shas'Saal

Re: I need advice on a army, I am new to warhammer and even if tau is not the best for new players, I will be playing ta

Post#21 » Mar 07 2017 05:49

Lord Mayhem wrote:
Commander - XV85 Enforcer - 1x Plasma Rifle - 1x Cyclic Ion Blaster - Shield generator

Hammerhead - Railgun - 2x Gun drones

Hammerhead - Railgun - 2x Gun drones

Orca
XV8 Crisis Battlesuit - 2x Plasma Rifles - 1x Missile pods
XV8 Crisis Battlesuit - 1x Gravity wave Projector - 1x Holophoton Countermeasures - 1x Networked Markerlight
XV8 Crisis Battlesuit - 2x Plasma Rifles - 1x Missile pods
3x XV8 Crisis Battlesuit - 2x Flamers - 1x Multitracker
21x Fire warriors - 1x Pulse Rifles
3x Pathfinders - 1x Ion Rifles

2x TX-42 Phirana Skimmers - Twin Linked Rail Rifles

1x Riptide Battlesuit - 1x Riptide Shield - 1x Pulse Submunitions Cannon

Ummm...I may have missed something, but the second XV-8 is not a legal suit option; except for a Forgeworld variant XV-8 cannot have markerlights, nevermind networked ones, and Holophoton systems are exclusive to XV-95

Pathfinders have a minimum unit size of 4

Riptides only can get Heavy Burst cannon or Ion accelerators. Which is better is a subject of long debate and really comes down to individual preference

The orca is no longer in production, so it is very hard to find the model nowadays (I want to get one or two for conversion into a "arsenal ship" platform.

If you're starting from scratch, you might want to look at Ebay. There are often some really good used army deals, which sometimes include Forgeworld models, and can be a relatively cheap way to start an army . They normally have been painted though, which can be good, if you don't like to paint and aren't set on a color scheme, but for most people means extra work cleaning and repainting the models (especially if the original quality is poor)

I did not know most of that, except for the eBay part, so I will now post a new list.
Yi'ash'drass'iem'oiche!

Shas'Vre_Ta'u
Shas'Saal

Re: I need advice on a army, I am new to warhammer and even if tau is not the best for new players, I will be playing ta

Post#22 » Mar 08 2017 01:23

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition v2027) (1657pts) +++

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Tau Empire: Codex (2015) v2010) ++

+ Uncategorised +

········Farsight Enclaves

+ HQ +

········Commander Farsight [Plasma Rifle, Shield Generator, The Dawn Blade, Warlord Trait: Through Boldness, Victory]
············Crisis Battlesuit [Blacksun Filter, Multi-Tracker]

+ Elites +

········XV8 Crisis Bodyguards [Bonding Knife Ritual]
············Crisis Bodyguard [Seismic Fibrillator Node, Target Lock, Twin-linked Plasma Rifle, Warscaper Drone]
················Crisis Battlesuit [Blacksun Filter, Multi-Tracker]
············Crisis Bodyguard [Onager Gauntlet, Repulsor Impact Field, Target Lock, Twin-linked Plasma Rifle]
············2x MV1 Gun Drone [2x Twin-linked Pulse Carbine]

+ Troops +

········XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual]
············Crisis Shas'ui [2x Cyclic Ion Blaster, Target Lock]
············Crisis Shas'vre [Twin-linked Plasma Rifle, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit]

········XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [Bonding Knife Ritual]
············Crisis Shas'vre [Command and Control Node, Twin-linked Plasma Rifle]

+ Fast Attack +

········XV9 'Hazard' Close Support Team [FW]
············Hazard Shas'yr [2x Pulse Submunitions Rifle, Shield Generator]
················XV9 Close Support Battlesuit [Blacksun Filter, Photon Casters, Vectored Retro-Thrusters]
············Hazard Shas'yr [2x Phased Ion Gun, Target Lock]
················XV9 Close Support Battlesuit [Blacksun Filter, Photon Casters, Vectored Retro-Thrusters]
············Hazard Shas'yr [2x Phased Ion Gun, Target Lock]

+ Heavy Support +

········TX7 Hammerhead Gunships
············TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [2x MV1 Gun Drone, Automated Repair System, Flechette Discharger, Railgun]
················Longstrike [XV02 Pilot Battlesuit]
············TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [Automated Repair System, Flechette Discharger, Ion Cannon, Twin-linked Burst Cannon]
············TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [Automated Repair System, Flechette Discharger, Ion Cannon, Twin-linked Burst Cannon]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)
Yi'ash'drass'iem'oiche!

Raverrn
Shas'La

Post#23 » Mar 09 2017 02:12

It really feels like you're taking systems and wargear at random. It's honestly better going the other way, taking too little as opposed to too much. Try to define a role for each unit you field, then only pick items that meet that role. It's all right to have only two guns and no other systems on a suit if you're surre it'll do the job - a good example is a double-fusion suit.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Mar 10 2017 02:31

Lots, lots, lots of signature systems that are not worth their points.

loganslament
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Mar 16 2017 03:23

Honestly it's really hard to make an effective list if you haven't even got the codex (If going farsight you'll need both tau codex and farsighted supplement).

Get the codex somehow then read through it carefully with the main rule book so you know what everything does.

Other posters have said you want to stay away from Forgeworld models and I agree but you seem to still be putting them in there. Some opponents, tournaments and campaigns won't let you use such models so at first try to use the main list.

I've been playing various armies of 40k for 16 years and like what others have said the good plan is to start with 500pts then build up from there in increments.

500pts gets you a decent and timely game and not too many models to paint. I also think Tau have some nasty surprises at that level that other forces aren't able to counter and it's always encouraging to have a few wins when you are starting out. Really gets you in the mood
Foolish Gue'la

Reaper13
Shas

Post#26 » Mar 17 2017 09:22

Im going to agree with most of the people here, start with the codex, digital if you are cheap like me ( ;) ) And the getting started box. If you absolutely hate fire warriors, you can simply run farsight enclaves. For an additional point per model (Must take bonding ritual whenever possible , you can run crisis suits as troops and elites. Yeah. With the getting started, its 10 bucks more than a crisis box, and you can sell the Fws/Ethereal on Ebay and make some of your money back. I would avoid forge world for the time being, as the rules for said models are in a different book than the codex. There is also an app called Battlescribe, (Can I suggest that on here? :-( ) But you most definitly need the codex, as unit sizes options and other things will all be needed.
Who says we don't have assault units... Drones :crafty:

Return to “Cadre Building”