I need advice on a army, I am new to warhammer and even if tau is not the best for new players, I will be playing tau.

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Shas'Vre_Ta'u
Shas'Saal

I need advice on a army, I am new to warhammer and even if tau is not the best for new players, I will be playing tau.

Post#1 » Mar 04 2017 08:58

I need advice on weapons, changes, equipment, and, most importantly, names for all of the tau in the army.

+ HQ

········Commander
············XV8 Commander Crisis Suit

+ Elites

········XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
XV8 Crisis Battlesuit

XV8 Crisis Battlesuit

········XV8 Crisis Bodyguards
············Crisis Bodyguard

········XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits
············Ghostkeel Shas'vre

+ Troops

········Strike Team
5x Fire Warrior

········Strike Team
5x Fire Warrior

········Strike Team
5x Fire Warrior

········Strike Team
5x Fire Warrior

+ Fast Attack

········AX3 Razorshark Strike Fighter

········Drones
············4x MV1 Gun Drone

········DX-6 'Remora' Drone Fighter Squadron

········XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit

+ Heavy Support

········Heavy Gun Drone Squadron
············2x Heavy Gun Drone

········Sniper Drone Team
············Firesight Marksman
············3x MV71 Sniper Drone

+ Lords of War

········KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour

+ Fortification

········Tidewall Droneport
············4x MV1 Gun Drone

Please let me know of anything as I am completely new to warhammer, other than watching it being played via YouTube, also I am new to this forum, so let me know of anything I did wrong.
Yi'ash'drass'iem'oiche!

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Re: I need advice on a army, I am new to warhammer and even if tau is not the best for new players, I will be playing ta

Post#2 » Mar 04 2017 09:13

First step is to decide how you are planning to organize this army. An Unbound army is simply a collection of models that are from the same faction, in your case tau. A combined arms detachment is built using the format in the basic rule book. A faction specific detachment is from the tau codex, like a hunter cadre. After you decide on a way to organize it choose a point value, 1000pts, 1500pts, 1850pts, etc. After that it's easy to make suggestions.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Re: I need advice on a army, I am new to warhammer and even if tau is not the best for new players, I will be playing ta

Post#3 » Mar 05 2017 03:35

A quick look at your models and it seems to me that you easily have enough for 1500-1850 points, which conveniently is the most common game size.

Shas'Vre_Ta'u
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Mar 05 2017 04:59

I don't actually have a tau codex, or any models, for that. matter. This is just to plan for my future army. I currently don't have enough money to get any form of army, no matter how small. As for points, I don't know how much anything costs because, again, I don't have a codex. This is literally the first time I have ever done anything in this board game other than watch it, and I decided to plan the army and THEN once I get a codex adjust said army to better standards. Also, I am bad at remembering the names of the battle suits and other vehicles, so I will just call them by their alphanumerical ID's.
Yi'ash'drass'iem'oiche!

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Mar 05 2017 05:09

As a beginner I would avoid the forgeworld models, they need a special book sold separately from the tau codex. The tau Start Collecting box set is a super great value for the money and you can play small point games right away. Starting with that many models, special rules, and high point value is confusing even to someone who already knows the rules.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Shas'Vre_Ta'u
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Mar 06 2017 08:19

Ok, So starting small is better, for now. But I am going to avoid fire warriors and pathfinders at ALL costs.
Yi'ash'drass'iem'oiche!

Shas'Vre_Ta'u
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Mar 06 2017 08:44

New army idea as follows:

+ HQ +

········Commander
············XV8 Commander Crisis Suit

+ Elites +

············Crisis Shas'ui
················Crisis Battlesuit

+ Troops +

········Drone Sentry Turret Team [FW]
············Drone Sentry Turret [Twin-linked Burst Cannon]

········Drone Sentry Turret Team [FW]
············Drone Sentry Turret [Twin-linked Burst Cannon]

+ Fast Attack +

········Drones
············4x MV1 Gun Drone [4x Twin-linked Pulse Carbine]

········Drones

········Drones

········Drones

········Tetra Scout Speeder Team [FW]
············Tetra [High Intensity Markerlight, Homing Beacon, Twin-linked Pulse Rifles]

+ Heavy Support +

········Heavy Gun Drone Squadron [FW]
············2x Heavy Gun Drone (tl bc) [2x Twin-linked Burst Cannon]

········Heavy Gun Drone Squadron [FW]
············2x Heavy Gun Drone (tl bc) [2x Twin-linked Burst Cannon]

········Sniper Drone Team
············Firesight Marksman [Drone Controller, Markerlight, Pulse Pistol]
············3x MV71 Sniper Drone [3x Longshot Pulse Rifle]

········TX7 Hammerhead Gunships
············TX7 Hammerhead Gunship

+ Fortification +

········Tidewall Shieldline

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)
Yi'ash'drass'iem'oiche!

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Mar 06 2017 11:28

I wouldn't recommend spending a lot of time theory crafting an army list before you've ever actually played a game or built a model. You simply don't have the experience required to do so.

How many points are an average game you'll play?
Do you like a gun line or mobile list?
How competitive will your opponents be?
What's the army meta in your area?

These are the most basic questions you need to ask before creating a list you plan on using. I would strongly suggest you find a few sample games of <500 points before trying to make 1500+ lists so you have a better grasp of the basics of the game.

For example, crisis suits don't come with guns stock. You have to purchase them for a certain amount of points. None of your suits have listed weapons, so I'm assuming you weren't aware of this? I could go over all the different tactical loadouts for you but I don't think this information is actually useful to you yet.

I think the best way to get started is to get a codex and buy some models you like the aesthetics of (like the get started box) and running a few small point games to get a handle on how things work.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Mar 06 2017 12:13

I would say the best plan is build a list of what you "like" once. 500 - 1000 IMHO
Play that list 25+ times, take notes on what works and does not, and learn how to play the game.

Paint 100% of the models you own.

Then, when you get that done, add a model or two at a time. Purchase based on what your army is missing and the play style you found you liked (in that 25+ games). Also paint those before you buy more.

- Buying a lot of models often leaves people unhappy... A pile of grey and an empty wallet makes for a kind of bitterness.
- Buying off a net list or cool idea often is faulty. You do not know how to play that list and it might not play in a way you like.
- Nothing takes the place of board time. There are many ways to play Tau. Learning that is a lot of fun.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Shas'Vre_Ta'u
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Mar 06 2017 12:41

In response to the fact of crisis suits not coming with guns, I did already know this fact and the reason I did not list the weapons is because I need suggestions on what kinds of weapons not to use and what kinds are good for what purposes, I don't have enough money to buy any more than a single fire warrior team, so I cannot actually play or buy anything yet in the first place, this is for when I do get enough money. The next post includes an updated list.
Yi'ash'drass'iem'oiche!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Mar 06 2017 01:05

Shas'Vre_Ta'u wrote:In response to the fact of crisis suits not coming with guns, I did already know this fact and the reason I did not list the weapons is because I need suggestions on what kinds of weapons not to use and what kinds are good for what purposes, I don't have enough money to buy any more than a single fire warrior team, so I cannot actually play or buy anything yet in the first place, this is for when I do get enough money. The next post includes an updated list.

That one is easy. :D

Not to use: Burst Cannons and Airburst Fragmentation Projectors.
To use: Whatever else you need to fullfill a specific task in your list

Anti-horde = Flamer/Cyclic Ion Blaster
Anti-MEQ = Plasma Rifle/Cyclic Ion Blaster (weight of fire works but Plasma is usually better obviously)
Anti-TEQ = Plasma Rifle
Anti-tank = Fusion Blaster
Anti-light vehicle = Cyclic Ion Blaster/Plasma Rifle/Fusion Blaster

Cyclic Ion Blaster can be replaced with Missile Pods if you want to. You basically exchange damage output with range. However Broadsides can do the long range S7 AP4 spam better than Crisis for similar costs.

Pro tip: Magnetize your Crisis weapons. If there is any unit in the whole warhammer 40k universe where it makes sense to magnetize weapons it's Crisis Suits. You won't regret it, especially when it comes to the money aspect trust me. ;)

Jaksie Kerra
Shas

Post#12 » Mar 06 2017 03:47

On the subject of Crisis loadouts, Missile pods are my go-to. Good for killing infantry at a decent range, and can glance most vehicles to death. Fusion blasters are my go to weapons for blasting terminators to death. Missile launchers are my "I don't know what to put here so I'll put something decent at everything" choice. Also, I would recommend Fire warriors. They are great infantry, and with the missile turret option, great for holding objectives.

TauMinded
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Mar 06 2017 04:08

Buying too much...
I agree, don't buy too much at once. I've made this mistake myself and would warn others against it. It's nice to have a lot of models to choose from to craft an army that can play well in a given situation, but not when you lack the experience to make sound decisions when doing so. Plus the grey tide can be overwhelming when there is a lot and painting may become too much of a chore. Buy what you can manage to paint and play in a short time span and then grow from there.

Forgeworld
Stay away from Forgeworld for now. Build out the core of your army and accent with Forgeworld models later. Some units are great, but they are typically more costly (base price + shipping) and you'd need to purchase yet another book. I can offer one suggestion if you want to have Tetras. Buy these and do some minor conversions with some Tau bits from other boxes. The jet bikes are not expensive (plus the box comes with 4!!!) and could be run as Tetras, credit to another member on here for posting a thread about them. http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/ ... bikes.html

Firewarriors & Get Started Box
You've mentioned you don't want Firewarriors , I can understand this. I have a Tyranid army which was my first and Tau is my second army. My Tau are geared towards an elite low model count army, to minimize painting (which I'm not a fan of tbh). I would still suggest you consider buying the Tau get started box.
It comes with: 3 Crisis suits, 10 Firewarriors [FWs], & an Etherial.
This box is only $10 more than a box of 3 Crisis suits, so why not pay 10$ more to get an the Etherial and Firewarriors plus a few more drones. Plus you may need a few FWs in the future to run certain formations or fill a troops slot.
Side note, it will cost you a lot to buy the FW-Drone Sentry Turret Team models and have them shipped. As I see you've used these to fill your troops choice. Again a good reason why the get started box is a good deal for you here.

Drones
You have a lot of drones in your working list. I'm not against them, but they way you have chosen to include them isn't going to be efficient. Adding drones to squads is not the way to go nowadays.
I would suggest looking up the VX-1 Drone Net formation (at least I beliebe that's the correct name). It is a formation with 4 squads of 4 drones and with that comes a number of benefits. This is the best way to take drones. It's ~230 pts for the Drone formation. I would not include drones in any of the squads, whether they are Firewarrior or crisis suit squads.

Suggestions for your starting force
2x Tau Get Started box: each box includes
...1x Etherials
...3x Crisis suits
...10x FWs
...~8x Drones (I believe it's 8 per box, 6 from Crisis sprues and 2 from FW sprues)
1x Commander, don't use 'Cold Star' load out, if takes wound from a groundting test = death, S9 vs T4
1x pick one: Riptide or Ghostkeel
1x pick one: Hammerhead OR Broadside
Bolded options are my preferences, but either option works.

You armies Markerlight source choice:
Here is a significant choice to make, based on the source of Markerlights you choose to go with.
Option 1: Have the commander in a squad of 4-6 Drones with drone controller. All Markelight drones.
Option 2: Grab drones as needed to run the drone net formation, run 2 squads as ML and 2 as Gun drones. May not need to buy many extras as I believe 2x Get Started box should provide the 16 you need to use the formation.
Option 3: 1x Mantic Enforcer Jetbikes box, comes with 4 jetbikes, model these as Tetras with some minor conversion work & bits from other Tau boxes you happen to buy.

Total cost of above in CAD: ~$420-440.
As you can see even a small force will add up quick. Hence why I suggest against the typically more expensive Forgeworld models. Your money is better spent on the above at this time.

Even if you don't ever end up using the 20x Firewarriors & 2 Etherials, you at least have the option. Plus it only costs an extra $20 at the end of the day. A number of the Tau formations will require FWs, so having them only expands your options.

I'd start with the list I suggested above with your specific choices. It will give you enough of a force to run between 750-1000 pts easily enough. I'd start with this, paint it, get 20+ games in and expand from there.

Cheers and happy war gaming.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Mar 06 2017 04:14

Jaksie Kerra wrote:On the subject of Crisis loadouts, Missile pods are my go-to. Good for killing infantry at a decent range, and can glance most vehicles to death. Fusion blasters are my go to weapons for blasting terminators to death. Missile launchers are my "I don't know what to put here so I'll put something decent at everything" choice. Also, I would recommend Fire warriors. They are great infantry, and with the missile turret option, great for holding objectives.

Why Fusion Blaster against Terminators? Plasma Rifles are way more efficient at that task. 6" more range and at 12" twice the shots. Terminators with FnP are super rare so you don't need the S8 and most Terminators are equipped with Storm Shields so you really want all the AP1-2 dakka you can get.

Jaksie Kerra
Shas

Post#15 » Mar 06 2017 04:26

Because I like to vaporize things. Honestly, it makes my friend who has a terminator only army upset when I vaporize them like that. So it's pretty much just being mean. But I would take them over the plasma rifles in a tactical point of view as well. With the FB, you can vaporize heavy infantry, (VRT's are a must) and when they are dead, also be effective against tanks without having to take two different weapons.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Mar 06 2017 04:42

Well you apparently play pretty differently than I am. :D
I for one consider VRT pretty useless for the most part due Initiative 2 and how easy it is to kill Crisis Suits and I also prefer to give my Crisis Suits specific tasks to fulfill instead of making them allrounder.
The only exception would be my TL Fusion Blaster + CIB Crisis unit which primarily goes Tank/Light Vehicle hunting while still being somewhat efficient in an anti-infantry role. :P

Jaksie Kerra
Shas

Post#17 » Mar 06 2017 04:53

I love having a Crisis suit that can be used for anything, but I hate splitting up the weapons, (ie. flamer and plasma) so the FB and MP are my go-to's.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Mar 06 2017 08:53

Shas'Vre_Ta'u wrote:In response to the fact of crisis suits not coming with guns, I did already know this fact and the reason I did not list the weapons is because I need suggestions on what kinds of weapons not to use and what kinds are good for what purposes, I don't have enough money to buy any more than a single fire warrior team, so I cannot actually play or buy anything yet in the first place, this is for when I do get enough money. The next post includes an updated list.

I play in a fairly non-competitive environment. In said game group I have fielded every Tau model except a handful of named characters (the ethereals and shadowsun) and a stormsurge. In my experience every model that I've fielded has at least some successful niche, although some are much narrower than others. For example, vespids are really good in city of death/massive terrain boards with tons of LOS blocking stuff and basically only that situation. Riptides on the other hand are basically always good. But I can't really suggest much for you currently short of giving you my opinion of every unit in the codex.

Almost every crisis suit gun is good in a certain specific situation. Most of the times you want to double up on whatever gun you're giving a unit, but not always. It depends on what else is in your army list. If you're running 3 hammerheads with railguns, then you probably don't need a crisis team with fusion blasters. If you're playing against orks you probably want flamers or burst cannons. If you're playing against space marines a team with plasma is usually good. All situational. That's why I can't just tell you what way to outfit your suits. All of my suits are magnetized so I can switch their guns from game to game, but I tend to run a team with fusion blasters because if find it to be the best gun at killing the stuff I need my crisis suits to kill. But what I need to kill varies from game to game and on the rest of my army list.

As for list building I recommend you organize your army into a CAD.
1-2 HQ Choices
2-6 Troops
0-3 Elites
0-3 Fast Attack
0-3 Heavy Support

It's the most common way to play outside of using formations.

I would also recommend you look into Farsight Enclaves. They can use crisis suits as troop choices instead of firewarriors, which seems to be something you want.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Return to “Cadre Building”