First tau list! Help and critique please

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Greatergoodness
Shas

First tau list! Help and critique please

Post#1 » Mar 07 2017 09:31

So my tax return came and I made the bite. After 4 long years of resisting the great good, here I finally am.
I jumped in hard too lol. I bought 2 start collecting boxes, a kill team box, 2 xv25 stealth suit boxes, 2 ghost keels, Commander+etheral box, Shadowsun, a box of pathfinders, 2 broadsides (old pewter crisis upgrades I will be replacing if I feel the need) and a whopping 3 riptides. I also have 8 drone kits on the way so 16 more drones. I was initially going for a hunter cadre plus drone net and maybe a ghost keel wing but it is getting pretty expensive points wise when I put it's on paper so I am here for suggestions. As for the moment till I build the collection a little bit more I want to build a 1500 CAD plus drone net and optimized stealth cadre.

-Commander burst cannon/cyclic ion blaster+drone controller/cds
-Shadowsun command drone
-3 strike teams shas'ui+smart turret+2 marker light drones (all)
Optimized stealth cadre
-2 xv25 stealth suit squads shas'ui+fusion blaster on shas'ui+target lock on shas'ui+ 2 marker drones
-2 ghost keels fusion blaster+fusionraker+target lock+ewo/burst cannon+ion raker+ads+cds bonding ritual
Drone net
3 squads of 4 marker lights and 1 gun drone squad

The commander will join a marker drone squad and keep a gun drone squad near to jump between the 2. Ill be attaching Shadowrun to a stealth squad and the Osc will be pushing the middle to take fire and be aggressive as needed. Strike teams will be holding the back line and moving on objectives.
I would love to move this force up to 2k but not sure what to do from here other than add riptides. Haven't played a game yet so not sure what to do with it all. I have a marine heavy meta. Also, what should my next purchase be? hammerhead or a couple devilfish?

materpillar
Shas'La

Re: First tau list! Help and critique please

Post#2 » Mar 08 2017 01:28

Your current army list and models seems like a fairly strong basis for an army.

I've personally not used a drone net, but from other battle reports 4x4 squads of marker drones usually do a fairly ample job providing markerlight hits for your army. I doubt you'll need the extra drones in the stealth team and strike teams. Though that can be figured out specifically through play testing.

If your commander is going with drone controller and markerlight drones I'd recommend giving him 2 missile pods and target lock. Missile pods have the exact same range as markerlights and let him stay safely well away from enemy units.

I'm fairly certain ghostkeels "best" loadout is cyclic Ion Raker and TL-FB. The melta rifle always under performs for me and rear armor FB just does more work than burst cannons.

As for next purchase I'd recommend playing with what you have so far and buying more of whatever you enjoy. From a competitive perspective a third ghostkeel is great. A squad of 3 keels has +1 BS which is super good. So in the Optimized Stealth Cadre they're BS5, ignore cover thus needing 0 markerlight support.

I'm a huge fan of the skyray. Hammerheads often underperform but are still decent. However you can get the vehicle and then just switch around turrets (don't glue them down) to suit whatever you feel like playing. Also with proper magnetization and some bits I'm pretty sure you can field it as a devilfish too. Another unit I'm fond of but isn't as good as just fielding more riptides if you're just trying to murder your opponents.

[edit]: I just threw together a rough list of the models you own. Using 3 riptides, Optimized stealth Cadre, drone net and regular CAD you can easily field 2000 points. A fairly strong 2000 points at that. Although people you play against might frown upon the riptide wing since it is tau's strongest formation.

Pretty sure cutting out the three riptides and you can still field a very good 1500 point list. So you have a good bit of wiggle room.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 52-16-8

Greatergoodness
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 08 2017 04:24

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I'm still a bit lost with support systems and drones. The more research I've done seems that the drone net pretty much covers what I need for marker light support. I've got the riptide to play with for more competitive games (which sadly is most of my fun games) but I'm really in love with the ghost keels. Looking to get 6-9 before all is said and done. I like the burst cannon and ion blaster on them as I'll probably be dealing with more infantry or rhino chassis equivalentso same goes for the dual fusion so on the other for terminator kills but the rest I buy will most likely be optimal. Considering magnets but might end up pinning things instead. The tourneys I regular want fun list over competition list so figured ghost keels won't get as much hate.
As for future purchases trying to avoid flyers as my chaos armies have them overwhelmingly. Might look into another drone net for the lolz.

Mirth
Shas'La

Post#4 » Mar 08 2017 05:44

Welcome to 40k and ATT, Greatergoodness. :)

That is quite the solid collection you've got there, and as Materpillar has pointed out, there are a lot of options available to you with your current model collection. I definitely agree with him regarding the third Ghostkeel and fielding it in the Optimized Stealth Cadre- arguably one of the top five or so Tau formations (if not top three) when it has a full three Ghostkeels. Definitely run them with the Cyclic Ion Raker- it is an excellent gun and is only made better by the OSC. As for their secondary, either the TL Fusion Blaster or Burst Cannon is good- the Fusion Blaster can wreak havoc on vehicles and Monstrous Creatures, while the Burst Cannon will simply add even more firepower to the unit.

The drone net definitely covers markerlight support, but the best way to run your markerlights is with the Mark'O- a commander with two missile pods, target lock, and drone controller, who can fire at a different unit and give the drones the benefit of his BS. The advantage of this is that, when paired with the Drone Net formation, you have Drones with a BS5 providing markerlights with interceptor, which your Riptides/Ghostkeels/other models with Early Warning Override, can then benefit from.

If you want to branch into FW (depending on what's permitted by your local meta) then a Y'vahra is definitely the way to go in a Marine meta. It also synergizes quite well with the Ghostkeels, as it needs to be up close and personal, resulting in an army designed to go and put the hurt on your opposition.

Just as a note, the Riptide Wing is a very strong formation, but it requires markerlight support to do really, really well. It is still formidable without the proper support, but its effectiveness drops off considerably when all the firepower coming from the Riptides is dropped to BS3.
When we forget we are soldiers, we stop fighting.

Greatergoodness
Shas

Post#5 » Mar 10 2017 04:01

Hey guys I feel I am missing something how does a commander get access to missile drones?

Ozzie_prime
Shas

Post#6 » Mar 10 2017 04:36

Hello,
he does not only broasides can get this kind of drones, and riptide can get shielded missile drones

Return to “Cadre Building”