First time Tau, Competitive 1850

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Sporific Zephyr
Shas

First time Tau, Competitive 1850

Post#1 » Mar 12 2017 06:33

Hey guys, so I recently decided after about 10 years of playing Warhammer I would finally succumb to the dark side and start playing Tau after much deliberation. I'm tired of the 1 dimensional nature of all the competitive armies out there right now which I used to play like Necrons and Tyranids and thought it was time to move on. :biggrin:

It took a while to whip up this list. So this list works as such:

The Commander sits with the broadsides giving them tank hunters or monster hunters for the situation (two of them have skyifre and EWO as a reliable answer to flyers), the Stormsurge sits at the back doing its thing, the two Ghostkeels are for killing infantry and hordes so they'll be either side of the army for the most part. The Riptide is there for killing tough units with 2+ saves and for protecting the other heavy suits from anything which may drop in like grav cents or chainfist dreadnoughts (the Stormsurge also has EWO for this). Lastly the 2x squads of 2 Crises with plasma are for either deepstriking and killing 2/3+ save units in the enemy back lines or for protecting my heavy suits from the aforementioned types of enemies. Same thing with my 2x squads of 1 Crisis with twin linked fusion blasters, which either deepstrike to gib armour or sit back to kill drop pod/deep strike armour. Plus of course the marker drones for 10 reliable marker lights per turn (including commander squad).

As for what i'm deliberating for, I'm struggling over what upgrades to shift around so I have a good answer to the flyer question and the deep strike/drop pod armour/2+ save (grav) question. I'm a bit on the fence over whether to have 2 Ghostkeels and whether or not to have Crises. Bear in mind I do want some variety in my list, so preferably keep the crises and the Ghostkeels, I don't want a 2 riptide, 1 stormsurge 6 broadside list which would bore me to death.

Thanks!

~~

Tau Empire (Farsight Enclaves, 1841pts)

HQ (132pts)

Commander (132pts)
2x MV7 Marker Drone (24pts), Drone Controller (8pts), Puretide Engram Neurochip (15pts)

Elites (453pts)

Riptide Shas'vre (190pts)
Early Warning Override (5pts), Ion Accelerator (5pts), Twin-linked Plasma Rifle

2x Ghostkeel Shas'vre (130pts)
Cyclic Ion Raker, Twin-linked Flamer

Troops (308pts)

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (111pts)
Bonding Knife Ritual (2pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
2x Plasma Rifle (30pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (57pts)
2x Plasma Rifle (30pts), Target Lock (5pts)

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (111pts)
Bonding Knife Ritual (2pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (52pts)
2x Plasma Rifle (30pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (57pts)
2x Plasma Rifle (30pts), Target Lock (5pts)

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (43pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (42pts)
Twin-linked Fusion Blaster (20pts). Bonding Knife Ritual (1pts)

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (43pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (42pts)
Twin-linked Fusion Blaster (20pts). Bonding Knife Ritual (1pts)

Heavy Support (294pts)

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits (294pts)
Bonding Knife Ritual (3pts), 3x MV4 Shield Drone (36pts)
Broadside (90pts)
EWO (5pts), HYMP, SMS, Velocity Tracker (20pts)
Broadside (95pts)
EWO (5pts), Target Lock (5pts), HYMP, SMS, Velocity Tracker (20pts)
Broadside (70pts)
Target Lock (5pts), HYMP, SMS

Lord of War (435pts)

Stormsurge, EWO (5pts), Pulse Driver Cannon (15pts), Shield Generator (50pts), Twin-Linked AFP (5pts)

Drone-Net VX1-0 (224pts)

Drones (56pts)
4x MV7 Marker Drone (56pts)
Drones (56pts)
Drones (56pts)
Drones (56pts)

Sporific Zephyr
Shas

Re: First time Tau, Competitive 1850

Post#2 » Mar 12 2017 11:13

As an alternative, I drop the 2 squads of 1 crises and a Ghostkeel and replace them with 2 squads of 3 stealth shasui each with 1 fusion blaster to make the formation with about 25pts spare to spend on a couple of drones or something.

Return to “Cadre Building”