[1850] Kauyon List

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Denirosek
Por'La

[1850] Kauyon List

Post#1 » Mar 13 2017 06:25

Greetings fellow Shas'O!

As I have previously dwelled on the Mont'ka tactics, I have decided to give Kauyon another shot and came up with a following list:

Ghostkeel Wing (393 pts):
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits: 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Ghostkeel Shas'vre - Cyclic Ion Raker, twin-linked Flamer, Advanced Targeting System - 133 pts
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits: 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Ghostkeel Shas'vre - Cyclic Ion Raker, twin-linked Flamer - 130 pts
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits: 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Ghostkeel Shas'vre - Cyclic Ion Raker, twin-linked Flamer - 130 pts

The role of the Ghostkeel Wing is to harass my opponents with their 2+ cover save, score objectives and draw fire and attention. Plus they have a nice punch with their S7 and S8 shots, provide great overwatch support with 3 twin-linked Flamers and are incredibly mobile. I might get some lucky shots with Advanced Targeting System, but I picked it only because I had 3 points left to spend honestly. The most important reason I picked them though is to boost the rest of my army with cover, as both Broadsides and Pathfinders will benefit from it greatly.

Ranged Support Cadre (856 pts):
Pathfinder Team: 6x Pathfinder, Recon Drone - 94 pts
Pathfinder Team: 6x Pathfinder - 66 pts
Pathfinder Team: 6x Pathfinder - 66 pts
XV88 Broadside Battlesuits: 3x Broadside, twin-linked High-yield Missile Pod, twin-linked Smart Missile System, Early Warning Override, 2x Target Lock - 210 pts
XV88 Broadside Battlesuits: 3x Broadside, twin-linked High-yield Missile Pod, twin-linked Smart Missile System, Early Warning Override, 2x Target Lock - 210 pts

This is the creme-de-la-creme of my army. 3 units of 3 Broadsides grant me a huge amount of twin-linked heavy bullets and their 2+ armour save grants me great survavibility, plus, if I place them correctly together with Ghostkeel Wing's bonus I can get a 3+ cover save. I can even attach Shadowsun to them to make it 2+, if I lose her bodyguard unit I will describe in a second. They are amazing at overwatch, especially with the formation bonus, and can overwatch at great distance to make sure my Pathfinders are not as tasty as they normally would. With the formation bonus I can easily manouver the Broadsides, as it only takes one markerlight to make my snaps normal shots again. That also means that invisible or flying targets are way less nasty than they normally would be as statistically at least one markerlight ought to hit them, and with that I can shoot at them at my baseline BS meaning 75% of the shots ought to hit the target. Furthermore a salvo of 24 twin-linked bullets per unit should scare any opponent from charging at me.

Combined Arms Detachment - Farsight Enclaves (601 pts):
HQ: Commander Shadowsun, MV52 Shield Drone
Troops 1: XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: Crisis Shas'ui, Flamer
Troops 2: XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 2x Crisis Shas'ui, 2x Fusion Blaster, Target Lock; 2x Crisis Shas'ui 2x Plasma Rifle, Target Lock; Crisis Shas'ui 2x Plasma Rifle, Vectored Retro-Thrusters; Crisis Shas'vre, Flamer, Command and Control Node, Puretide Engram Neurochip; 5x MV1 Gun Drone

Whatever the Broadsides cannot effectively take down - this unit is meant to take. Commander Shadowsun Deep Strikes with the unit of 6 Crisis Suits granting them Stealth and Shrouded, plus a 3+ inv from the shield drone boosts their survivability even further. Her command trait helps her to avoid getting locked in combat and even if that happens, her I4 should greatly improve the chances of getting away from it through Hit and Run special rule. 6 Melta shots with Tank-Hunter special rule from Engram Neurochip should be enough to take down even an Imperial Knight, while Monster-Hunter on 6 Plasma Rifles ought to take even Riptides from the battlefield. All of it is twin-linked, so this unit can operate to a great extent independently from the rest of the army, however I do not intend on doing that. I've added the Recon Drone to Ranged Support Formation to avoid the third of my army getting lost due to a mishap, hopefully that's enough. Most of the unit have Target Locks so they can pick their targets, Gun Drones are meant to be ablative wounds and to mow down lightly armoured units.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas. Bear in mind this is by no means meant to be a nice, friendly list. I'm rather inteding to win serious competitions with that so any support is worth your weight in gold.
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Ozzie_prime
Shas

Re: [1850] Kauyon List

Post#2 » Mar 13 2017 07:40

Hello,
look good but I don't have too much experiences, but I hope my question can help any way.

First I would like to know why so much target lock on your broadsides ?
For me when you target something you want to kill it completely. So maybe you will not use the target lock. then you will have your red-light only on one target so the others broadsides won't take credit for that. I was thinking that in one team maybe you want 1 target lock and 2 EWO (depending on the meta you are playing in it will be safer) or maybe you can spare point to have other weapon in your ghostkeel (the flamer is very good for over watch but you have already good overwath with all your broadsides).

Then about your pathfinder. you have 6 in each team so around 3 marker light. with the special rule of this formation it make 6 for the broadsides. isn't it a lot ? I was thinking 4 will be enough.
for the team that get the recon drone I suppose this team will be closer to the front so maybe they need more pathfinder than the 2 other team.

Since I'm new I don't think that I'm 100% so if you have counter argument I'll be happy to hear them (this way this will also improve my cadre building style haha)

Denirosek
Por'La

Post#3 » Mar 13 2017 12:20

Yeah, your points are totally valid, however, my line of thinking was that one Broadside is enough to take a unit of light infantry easily, be it Fire Warriors, Genestealers, Imperial Guard or, most importantly, Eldar bikes. Hence by adding two Target Locks I can actually shoot at three different units and quite safely take them down and taking down 3 units of scatterbikes rather than 2 seems better for me. I wouldn't want to feel like I've wasted ammo, because I've spent 16 shots at one unit. I'm not expecting that many units to come at me from the reserves, as the Skyhammer is no longer that popular and to be effective against fliers I would need Pathfinders' support, which cannot use Interceptor.

As for flamers, well, I'm feeling like better safe than sorry when it comes to overwatch. Besides, what other options do I have really? Burst cannons which are inferior to flamers? Fusion Blasters of which I have quite a plenty and which are extremely costly? You make a good point it's just that I am somewhat expecting my enemies to charge at me a lot, as I can outshoot most if not all the armies, so I appreciate all support in overwatch I can get.

As for the Pathfinders, once again, you make a very sensible point and that's true that the Recon Team will be in danger hence I will have to place them very carefully. Adding additional troops is not a bad idea but it will make them an even more attractive target I think. 4 markerlights would be enough in most situation, however honestly, I don't think that's too many in this situation, as that amount allows my Broadsides to move quite freely and shoot snapshots against my enemies at quite reasonable BS.

If there is a flaw in my reasoning I'd rather find it out here without consequences so thank you very much for your input :D
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Ozzie_prime
Shas

Post#4 » Mar 14 2017 03:16

well I have nothing else to add ^^
Your list look very good to me !

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Apr 07 2017 02:33

Good list! Though have few questions...

1. Can Shadowsun join crisis team during deployment or when in reserve for deep strike? Coz she had the infiltrator rule
2. When shes joined in a unit if crisis suits, do these crisis able to infiltrate with her during deployment?
3. Which rule mention Shadowsun confers stealth/shrouded to her joined units/other units?

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Apr 07 2017 02:59

1: No and not sure
2: No
3: It's in the wording of the stealth and shrouded rules

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#7 » Apr 07 2017 03:19

azlanpower wrote:Good list! Though have few questions...

1. Can Shadowsun join crisis team during deployment or when in reserve for deep strike? Coz she had the infiltrator rule
2. When shes joined in a unit if crisis suits, do these crisis able to infiltrate with her during deployment?
3. Which rule mention Shadowsun confers stealth/shrouded to her joined units/other units?

1. No and no. You'll have to make her join after deployment.
2. No because she can't join them in the first place.
3. Basic Rule Book. Stealth and Shrouded always gets transfered to other models in the unit.

You can try and work around the infiltrate issue by making another HQ your warlord and roll on the strategic warlord table and try to get the one that lets you pick 3 non-vehicle units that get infiltrate.

ChazzAtron
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Apr 07 2017 05:59

Commander Shadowsun Deep Strikes with the unit of 6 Crisis Suits granting them Stealth and Shrouded, plus a 3+ inv from the shield drone boosts their survivability even further.

Other than the aforementioned issues with joining the Crisis Suits, I was curious about her Shield Drone. I'm at work and don't have my book handy, but I was pretty sure Shield Drones only confer saves to themselves, not other models in the same unit. The way it was worded here made it sound like everyone was getting her super Shield Drone 3++ (unless hers is just that super, can't check at the moment).

Of couse it could just stand out in front as the sacrificial drone hoping to soak up wounds.

I'm definitely looking at non-standard (ie, with Stealth Suits) ways to use her; good to know there are some restrictions I hadn't looked into. Getting her in with the rest of the Crisis Suits shouldn't be too hard, though hopefully she doesn't have to sit out in the open for a turn, praying her 4+ cover save is enough to stop a Lascannon.
With great mustache comes great responsibility

Return to “Cadre Building”