[1000] Combined Arms Det plus Drones

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Exeter
Shas

[1000] Combined Arms Det plus Drones

Post#1 » Mar 14 2017 02:11

[Apologies if this isn't the best formatted of requests for critique.]

Hi all. Newcomer to the game, the army, and the boards! I'd been jealous of Warhammer 40K gamers for long enough and decided to take the plunge for the Greater Good. Christmas was nice to me and Santa (i.e. me) delivered unto me one (1) Battleforce: Targeted Reconnaissance Cadre and two (2) Start Collecting: Tau Empire. I also impulse bought a Piranha and a box of Stealth Suits. Unfortunately, for now, this is the entirety of my collection (though I do intend to dip my toes into bulking up the heavy support with a Riptide sometime in the near future!).

Anywho, I'm looking forward to levelling up and diving into my first 1000 point game with the gang at the local shoppe and was wondering if you fellow stalwarts would be kind enough to provide some valuable critique and/or suggestions on the following list. In case it's relevant, the regular appearances at the local shop are Space Marines, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Tyranids, Chaos Space Marines, and Demons (Tzeentch).

It's probably apparent from looking at the list itself, but just to provide some context, my concept is, looking at all the drones that come in the boxes (25 if I recall correctly), I'd love to make the most of them as a support formation. Seeing the Drone Net formation inspired me to pan for gold there. The Commander is intended to support the a unit of drones that he joins, his flamers really only being used in the event thing go bad...ok, really bad. After that the list just sort of speaks for itself, I think.

In any event I am look forward to any replies. Thanks in advance.

++ Combined Arms Detachment (776pts) ++

+ HQ (182pts) +

Commander (182pts) [2x MV4 Shield Drone]
XV8 Commander Crisis Suit [Command and Control Node, Drone Controller, 2x Flamer, Stimulant Injector, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit]

+ Elites (241pts) +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (241pts) [Bonding Knife Ritual, 6x MV1 Gun Drone]
Crisis Shas'ui [Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle]
Crisis Shas'ui [Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle]
Crisis Shas'vre [Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle]

+ Troops (240pts) +

Strike Team (120pts) [Bonding Knife Ritual, 9x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle]
DS8 Tactical Support Turret [Smart Missile System]
Fire Warrior Shas'ui [Pulse Rifle]

Strike Team (120pts) [Bonding Knife Ritual, 9x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle]
DS8 Tactical Support Turret [Smart Missile System]
Fire Warrior Shas'ui [Pulse Rifle]

+ Heavy Support (113pts) +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits (113pts) [Bonding Knife Ritual, 2x MV8 Missile Drone]
Broadside [Seeker Missile, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

++ Formation Detachment (Tau Empire: Codex (2015) v2010) (224pts) ++

Drone-Net VX1-0 (224pts)
Drones [4x MV7 Marker Drone]

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Re: [1000] Combined Arms Det plus Drones

Post#2 » Mar 14 2017 03:30

Hey hey, welcome to the greater good!

So a few comments, at least from my limited experience.

First, the commander. His equipment is a little bit scattered. If you plan on sticking him with some drones, it may be worth your while to give him target locks and missile pods so that he can shoot at the range the drones are shooting from. If something is within flamer range, it's already too late lol. You wanna have him jump shoot jump around with those drones and keep them out of the thing of it. If you're worried about him getting caught up in melee, you could always give him vectored retro thrusters to try to get out if stuck. Also, with the node, assuming he confers the benefit, he can't shoot that turn. So maybe see if you can pass that on to the 'vre and make him a buff 'vre (PEN Chip, Node, MSS). That way you always get that sweet BS5 from the commander, the drones are at BS5 because of his drone controller, and the crisis squad becomes more effective.

Second, the broadside. While I adore missile drones, in a game this size they're more of a liability than an asset. While yes they do shoot at BS3 thanks to the net, if a single one dies, the whole unit might just run away as you've taken 33% casualties in that turn. Last thing you want is your big broadside hightailing it after one little drone gets plinked to death.

Exeter
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 14 2017 06:10

Pogman wrote:First, the commander. His equipment is a little bit scattered...{snip}

Excellent suggestion! I've tinkered with his equipment to give him a longer-range weapon with a Target Lock.

Pogman wrote:Second, the broadside...{snip}

Quite right here, too! At this point-level, I imagine that it's the "little things" like morale that'll make-or-break games. Thanks for pointing out that glaring vulnerability. I've punted the drones and tweaked the rest of the lone Broadside's equipment to squeeze in a Piranha, which gets me a couple of drones and another gun to boot.

Thanks for the help.

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Mar 14 2017 07:00

Boom, there ya go. Glad I could help, and good luck!

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Mar 14 2017 07:30

With what you have why not go Hunter Cadre? You get nifty rules and perks plus use all your models?
Something like:
Commander
-Drone Cont, Target Lock, Missile Podx 2
(Light stuff up and blow stuff up, probably could put Stims on him if you want but at 36" at least away from your target....)

Elites
Crisis Team 1 (2 suits)
-Plasma Rifles x2
Crisis Monat (tank Hunter)
-Fusion x2
(I'd recommend more Crisis teams especially with PR to deal with Termies at this point level)

Fast Attack
Piranha (tank Hunter)
-Fusion upgrade, Seeker Missile x2
(You could probably add some drones here if you want)

Heavy
Broadside
-HYMP, secondary missiles, Seeker, (probably EWO for drop pods)((seriously recommend getting more of these along with a Riptide for sure!!!))

Troops
Strike teams (5 man)x3
All with Turrets

Aux
4 Marker drones
(Although I'm Pretty sure you can get the drone Network still but I'd for sure make half of them gun drones at least)

And you're right under 750ish. (Unless you do the Drone network)
Honestly if you don't have a Riptide at a 1000 then hopefully it's friendly otherwise you're missing out on one of our best firing platforms.

Just my two cents :biggrin:

Exeter
Shas

Post#6 » Mar 15 2017 08:16

Ifrit wrote:With what you have why not go Hunter Cadre? .../snip

That's actually not a terrible idea at all. I might could squeeze all I want into 1000 points and reap the benefit of being able to zip about with a portion of the army and zap from safety. Thanks for pointing it out! In fact, I might try both of the suggested configurations and see which turns out better for me.

Ifrit wrote:Honestly if you don't have a Riptide at a 1000 .../snip

I've been eye-balling the Riptide on the shelf at the local shop with some interest. If you don't mind a follow up question, would you suggest it is better to add a Riptide, or add to the existing Broadside unit? Thanks in advance!

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Mar 15 2017 09:26

Honestly you really need both. But I'd probably pick up the Riptide first. Especially because they are an extremely hard fire magnet to kill. So while everyone is focusing the Riptide you jump around popping tanks and getting objectives. (Which is the only thing you lose if you aren't in a CAD).

But Riptide, Ion Accelerator, Stims and probably EWO puts you around 225ish points. Now you're thinking that's a lot of points for one unit but it's a fire magnet that's hard to kill. It'll have FNP along with a built in Shield Generator that's like a 3+ (After a Nova Charge)
EWO gives a nice Anti-Air bubble (that will couple well with future Broadsides)
The IA is a good S7 which I'm pretty sure threatens most of everything you'll be seeing. Or you can Nova Charge it and drop pie plates (this is one of the biggest things you'll want to use your Markerlights for)

There's some other stuff too but I think this is really enough info to convince you. Way more than I had. (I got it because it looks cool lol)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Mar 15 2017 11:50

Ifrit wrote:Honestly you really need both. But I'd probably pick up the Riptide first. Especially because they are an extremely hard fire magnet to kill. So while everyone is focusing the Riptide you jump around popping tanks and getting objectives. (Which is the only thing you lose if you aren't in a CAD).

But Riptide, Ion Accelerator, Stims and probably EWO puts you around 225ish points. Now you're thinking that's a lot of points for one unit but it's a fire magnet that's hard to kill. It'll have FNP along with a built in Shield Generator that's like a 3+ (After a Nova Charge)
EWO gives a nice Anti-Air bubble (that will couple well with future Broadsides)
The IA is a good S7 which I'm pretty sure threatens most of everything you'll be seeing. Or you can Nova Charge it and drop pie plates (this is one of the biggest things you'll want to use your Markerlights for)

There's some other stuff too but I think this is really enough info to convince you. Way more than I had. (I got it because it looks cool lol)

A few corrections:

225p IS a lot of points for one unit and especially for one model. However the Riptide is so good it should actually cost like 50p more for what it can do. ;)

Also EWO doesn't give you a anti-air bubble. It gives you a nice anti-deep strike bubble which is even better. No Space Marine unit will Drop Pod near the Riptide with his AP2 pie plate without sweating at least a little bit. :D

That brings us to the next. You don't have to nova-charge the Ion Accelerator to throw pie-plates around. That's just the regular Ion overcharge mode. And since the nova-charge mode isn't much of an improvement over the regular Ion overcharge mode you are free to always buff his Invulnerable save from 5++ to a 3++ or to shoot twice with your secondary weapon (10 Smart Missile shots are really good, don't underestimate it!).

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Mar 15 2017 12:47

Thanks for the corrections/clarification. Sometimes my head and fingers don't always make the connections. As in I thought about it and knew about it but well the fingers have a mind of their own lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Exeter
Shas

Post#10 » Mar 15 2017 05:37

Ifrit wrote:Honestly you really need both. /snip

It seems I'm perpetually doomed to be broke! :P

In all seriousness, while some are only situationally recommended, notwithstanding the Forge World models (I haven't even strayed in that direction yet) there surprisingly few in-faction units/models available to Tau that are universally regarded as "bad" or "useless". Perhaps the only one being Vespids (?).

Ifrit wrote:I got it because it looks cool

The Rule of Cool is most definitely a thing, friend. If it doesn't look awesome, it's probably not worth putting on the table IMO!

All that having been said, the Riptide is an exceptionally cool-looking model that also seems to be, pound-for-pound, an awesome addition to almost any army list. I'll be making this a priority in my next set of purchases.

Thanks again for the suggestions and advice. Much appreciated!

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Mar 15 2017 10:57

Vespids are pretty good in the HoR format.
Sniper drones are ok (for marker lights and sniping) but they fall into the trap of there's something better.
Stealth Suits are ok (but something better is out there fun rules wouldn't recommend them outside of an OSC really)
Kroot are ok (for being cheap and bubble wrapping plus they can be good with sniper rounds but that's an upgrade where points could be spent elsewhere)
Hammerhead (without Longstrike are kind of lackluster the Riptide just does it better because of mobility).
Storm surge I couldn't tell you because I haven't used one.
Honestly the named characters are mediocre as well.
Farsight is good to pinpoint drop your units for devastating effect.
Shadowsun is hard to hit and lock down.
Honestly Ethereal or Fireblades are the best for infantry (mostly as the obligatory HQ in small point games but don't underestimate the Fireblades Volley fire ;D )

Finally the Forge world is good to have cool models (Crisis Suits) as for their flyers they are better than GWs but unfortunately not a lot of tournaments allow them :/

Oh and speaking of the flyers they are also lackluster. Maybe the Razorshark to drop plates on people and it's got the 360 degree turret so that's pretty sweet. Sun shark is kind of lame because of the possible "Gets hot" and not being able to make its bombing run.

But this is just from what I've seen. If someone has more experience please feel free to fill in or correct as needed. :biggrin:

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Mar 16 2017 01:53

Exeter wrote:
Ifrit wrote:Honestly you really need both. /snip

It seems I'm perpetually doomed to be broke! :P

In all seriousness, while some are only situationally recommended, notwithstanding the Forge World models (I haven't even strayed in that direction yet) there surprisingly few in-faction units/models available to Tau that are universally regarded as "bad" or "useless". Perhaps the only one being Vespids (?).

Pretty much, yes.

I mean we can gimp our lists a LOT by combining bad weapon loadouts and mixing drones in units that shouldn't have them and not taking Markerlights but overall we have a very good codex with just the right amount of strong units to be able to compete with the real top tier lists if we max the cheese in our own list.

I even had some really close games against Tyranids just by not bringing a proper Markerlight source. Overall I think every Codex should be balanced around our Codex (except for stuff like the Riptide Wing obviously).

Return to “Cadre Building”