FE: RW + Taunar + crisis DS 1850

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
azlanpower
Shas'Saal

FE: RW + Taunar + crisis DS 1850

Post#1 » Mar 21 2017 11:40

Trying to put together a strong 1850 list. Mainly local games at hobbystore. Roster probably do ok vs marines but not really sure vs eldar or ynnari. Opinions greatly appreciated.

Farsight enclave
CAD
hq: commander
C&C, MSSS, iridiums, shield gen, stims

troops
crisis 1 unit with 6 models
Each model got FBx1, plasmasx1

crisis 1 unit with 1 model
missile pod, drone controller
+2 marker drones

LoW: Taunar
pulse, triaxis, fusion

FORMATION
riptide wing: 3 models riptide
2 with IA, SMS, EWO, stims
1 with HBC, TLPlasmas, EWO, stims

Possible tactics
taunar and RW deployed and put on table
taunar role is to pull fire to him, push forward and d-weapon blast amd even contest objectives
RW stay back to activate hailfire turn 1 or 2

Crisis buffed from commander deepstrike turn 2 to eliminate high priority target, capture objectives, vs bikes/jetbikes that loves to jink

lone crisis with drones for markerlight

pros: extensive firepower, taunar presence will distract oponents, crisis DS for even more firepower, RW shooty + EWO to counter DS enemies

cons: absolutely almost non existant markerlights but with taunar at bs4, buffed crisis can reroll hits + ignore cover, RW can benefit +1 bs if shoot same target, i may not need that much markerlights to give additional benefits...whaddaya guys think?

loganslament
Shas'Saal

Re: FE: RW + Taunar + crisis DS 1850

Post#2 » Mar 22 2017 03:03

At less than 2k is a Tau'nar suitable for all those points? Would a storm surge not be as effective but cost less allowing you to take more mobile units (or fixing as you said your lack of marker lights)?
Foolish Gue'la

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Mar 22 2017 03:15

Looks like a good list (after a RW + a Taun'ar are never bad).
There are a few things I'd point out:
You have mentionned it, but lack of markerlights is going to hurt you. Not so much the taun'ar or your crisis, but your IA riptides will suffer from not getting Ignores Cover or any degree of reliability to their scatter. IMO a pair of Tetras would help with this (and provide a nice deep strike bubble for the crisis squad)
Lack of ability to play the objective game: you have a total of 6 units in the list, of which one is very squishy (the monat), and the RW would prefer to stay close. A few throwaway fast units will be really helpful (another argument for Tetras maybe?)
I'd advise against pushing the Taun'ar up too far forwards, except if you have some really juicy targets for your fusion eradicator. It's pretty much impossible to kill if you lack multiple sources of grav or D, so its biggest weakness is getting tarpitted (it should be able to deal with small units that tie it up, but there's a reasonable chance it won't be able to.)
Hope this helps!

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Mar 22 2017 05:39

azlanpower wrote:Possible tactics
taunar and RW deployed and put on table
taunar role is to pull fire to him, push forward and d-weapon blast amd even contest objectives
RW stay back to activate hailfire turn 1 or 2

With a Taunar and a Riptide wing, you aren't going to need tactics. Just shoot and win. Sacrifice a suit for ECPA on the Burst Riptide if you want to win even more.

Mirth
Shas'La

Post#5 » Mar 22 2017 12:18

A note with the Ta'unar- kill the things that can actually hurt it at range first. Then destroy everything that tries to get close to assault it, and if nothing is doing that, use it to remove the enemy heavy infantry first. It is very, very good, but you don't want it tied up in combat and, while it is extremely durable, it will die to things that are meant to kill it.

I offer two alternatives to the Riptide Wing (primarily because without markerlights it is much less efficient, though still quite good). First- two Y'vahra (and other supplementary unit for the points). Due to their equipment, Y'vahra are much less reliant upon markerlights than the other Riptide variants while still highly effective.

The other option would be an Optimized Stealth Cadre with a full three Ghostkeels- the formation bonuses remove all need for markerlights for the unit and result in a very strong and highly devastating choice against anything shy of AV14.

Either of those options removes the need for your Crisis unit to carry fusion blasters, allowing you to focus their role (and thus let them function more efficiently). If you run the Y'vahras, they take care of Marines quite well, so I personally would run the Crisis blob with Cyclic Ion Blasters. If you take the Ghostkeels, they can do double duty as anti-horde/medium armor saves, so you can outfit your Crisis unit with either Plasma Rifles for anti-Marine or Cyclic Ion Blasters for more firepower.

For your lone Crisis unit with drones, I would either drop the missile pod or drop the drones- right now that tiny unit is attempting to do a bit too much in my opinion and is using points that could be better spent elsewhere.

At the moment I feel the Crisis suit blob is meant for taking on everything, with the end result that it doesn't engage anything overly well. In my experience, a Crisis blob needs to focus on doing something very well, allowing you to tailor the other elements of your army around the things your Crisis blob is not kitted out to take down.

Just my thoughts, hope they help! :)
When we forget we are soldiers, we stop fighting.

nic
Kroot'La

Post#6 » Mar 22 2017 04:45

Your local store must run at a pretty brutal level if that is anything but an auto-win list.

As for Ynnari it is too early to tell what most players will settle on as the best builds for that army. With options for nasty turn 1 charges vs alternatives of massed shooting multiple times per turn (including on your turn) they have a lot of decision making ahead of them. If they go with assault then you need very strong bubble-wrap to avoid getting bogged down; they are ridiculously mobile, can charge in your turn if you shoot them out of a transport or can charge a second time in a turn to kill your screening models and still charge your big suit to stop it shooting. Shooting Ynnari just shoot more often and they *never* break and run from shooting casualties so they will keep right on doing it. Mirth's suggestion of Y'vahra suits would probably do pretty well against any type of Eldar, I find mine is very effective against them.

In terms of pure efficiency the big crisis blog seems a bit odd to me. A slightly smaller blob with TL on suits with matching weapon pairs and then some marker drones to support the MC/GMC suits would seem like a more efficient setup.

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Mar 27 2017 09:14

Mirth wrote:I offer two alternatives to the Riptide Wing (primarily because without markerlights it is much less efficient, though still quite good). First- two Y'vahra (and other supplementary unit for the points). Due to their equipment, Y'vahra are much less reliant upon markerlights than the other Riptide variants while still highly effective.

The other option would be an Optimized Stealth Cadre with a full three Ghostkeels- the formation bonuses remove all need for markerlights for the unit and result in a very strong and highly devastating choice against anything shy of AV14.

I just found out how very very effective OSC are! 2 ghostkeel with +1 bs, ignores cover, REAR ARMOR always....its very effective vs vehicles! added benefits from upto 2+ cover save + halophaton CM...they can almost tank anything...yeah i think i will straightaway go for OSC with 2 ghostkeel in it instead! TQ for yr opinion :D

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Apr 10 2017 09:54

Just had another match with variants of these list...decided to go for:

CAD
fireblade

troops
2x firewarriors

low
stormsurge

Fortifications
tidewall shieldline

formations
Drone net
Riptide wing
OSC

This list is brutal. Totally brutal. Played vs SM, chaos 1850.
Mybe a bit by luck in terms of positioning and getting 1st turn but in the 1st and 2nd turn itself my opponents really got decimated. Even the deep strike obliterators and other units gets pawned from riptides.

Gonna try a more less brutal list fighting vs marines or chaos next time but gona have to test it out vs necrons and dark eldars...they're tough armies which only this list or equivalant can handle...

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#9 » Apr 10 2017 10:52

azlanpower wrote:Just had another match with variants of these list...decided to go for:

CAD
fireblade

troops
2x firewarriors

low
stormsurge

Fortifications
tidewall shieldline

formations
Drone net
Riptide wing
OSC

This list is brutal. Totally brutal. Played vs SM, chaos 1850.
Mybe a bit by luck in terms of positioning and getting 1st turn but in the 1st and 2nd turn itself my opponents really got decimated. Even the deep strike obliterators and other units gets pawned from riptides.

Gonna try a more less brutal list fighting vs marines or chaos next time but gona have to test it out vs necrons and dark eldars...they're tough armies which only this list or equivalant can handle...

Well of course. What do you expect when you take the three strongest formations we can bring along an absolute min maxed CAD for the Storm Surge? :D

Return to “Cadre Building”