1k Intorducing tau to new players

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Fokke
Shas'La
Shas'La

1k Intorducing tau to new players

Post#1 » Mar 22 2017 07:35

I have been playing tau for well... lets just say I pre-ordered them before they were a real faction in 40k whatever edition that was. Anyway fast forward to today and the new and much improved tau and a group of guys just starting playing 40k. So we are mostly playing tiny 1k games, very tiny as my normal small game is 2.5k with 3.5k being average. Not used to playing this small brings up interesting list building challenges I am not used to. While I mostly play rule of cool and bring models because I like them over actual effectiveness (XV9s full squad) even bringing bare minimum presents a challenge to me without all my toys. So I wrote up a list last night and am trying not to make the most competitive list I can while still being fun and showcasing the odd toys Tau have at their disposal. So I picked my favorite two formations and they took up almost the entire 1k with no frills.
Infiltration cadre
Piranha- fusion, seeker missle
Pathfinders x4(x3)
Stealth teams x3(x2)

Retaliation cadre
Commander- two CIBs
Crisis- fusion/plasma
Crisis- fusion/plasma
Deathrain Team- XV-84 with SMS and TLMP, 2 suits with MP and a flamer(might upgrade to TLMP)
Broadside- plasma and HYMP
Riptide- Ion

Opponents seen so far are necrons and blood angles(intentional) relative new person and total new person. Now I know I wont be winning any competitive games with this, but am I gimping myself too much? Staying within the lines, what should I change if anything?

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 1k Intorducing tau to new players

Post#2 » Mar 22 2017 07:49

That actually looks pretty decent. :D

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Mar 22 2017 08:37

I played a 1k game vs a new player recently. I knew he was bringing SM so I figured I'd bring something that could overcome his 3+ armor. Went with an Iontide and two teams of Breachers, and I accidentally completely stomped him with basically just those three units. Your opponent is playing Necrons so he might be more resistant to AP, but I'd still suggest gimping yourself even more and staying away from AP3 or better except for single-shot weapons (FB & HRR). Probably get rid of the Riptide entirely, unless you're sure he's bringing something that can bring it down.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Mar 22 2017 08:41

Yeah a Riptide at 1k points is nothing special for experienced players these days but still a damn monster for people who are just starting out and still building their list. :D

Fokke
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Mar 22 2017 09:28

He is part of the formation otherwise I wouldn't bring him I didn't buff him up in anyway for that reason, not that I had the points anyway. I could use those points to bulk up my crisis team squads. I might look at Farsight Enclaves, its been awhile but I think they can bring suits as troops and just run it as a CAD with bigger suit sizes.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Mar 22 2017 09:35

You could nerf him a bit by taking the Burst Cannon over the Ion Cannon.

Fokke
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Mar 22 2017 12:11

I would but I don't have an burst cannon model. My opponents aren't completely useless so I am not going to completely tie my hands. I just didn't want to curb stomp them. If the BA guy plays what he did last time, its an inefficient force but its still all termies and a land raider so I don't have a ton of av14 and ap2 punchers but holy crap will I out number him in unit number, not that it matters except to his shooting. Ill out gun him but I will need every shot just to whittle him down. The necron player plays a nasty formation where everyone has the option of that FNP that ignores the double toughness thing or a couple other abilities and he will have me tied up on numbers roughly as well. Not sure on the skill level on the DE player but not too worried. Fourth guy not sure what he is playing but he is an experienced player but with a habit of rage quitting when things don't go his way even when he watches the dice on an against the odds type thing. (Twice now I have done something in infinity and frostgrave that I got super lucky on dice (three 18+ rolls in a row in FG on a d20) and killed something important to his army/band and had him quit and leave. And this is my local group out in the middle of nowhere FL.

Return to “Cadre Building”