1850 Tau - Haven't played since 5th - HELP!

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Crimzzen
Shas

1850 Tau - Haven't played since 5th - HELP!

Post#1 » Mar 28 2017 09:50

Hey everyone!

Haven't played since 5th edition but recently some of the newish Tau models have sparked interest for me and it looks like a few of us might dabble again. I've sorta gotten familiar with detachments and formations and I have a basic grasp of the rules.

Couple of questions: Y'vahra - This is a forgeworld model, can I take it in a regular game? Is it something my opponent could block? It's so pretty looking! I've lost touch with suit configurations and while I've read the primers I'm still not sure it's all clicking in the current meta.

I've basically picked a list based on models I like:
Drones, suits (the new commander suit, wow!), and especially the Ghostkeel (it's my fav so I hope the formation is good).

Also I thought posting individual point costs for units was a No No but I can't figure out how to turn them off in Army Builder.

1850 Pts - Supplement: Farsight Enclaves Roster
Total Roster Cost: 1849

: Combined Arms Detachment (Primary Detachment) (9#, 1006 pts)
1 Commander, 172 pts = Missile Pod x2 + Neuroweb System Jammer + Puretide Engram Neurochip + XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit + Stimulant Injector

CRISIS TEAM #1 - Commander goes here
1 Crisis Shas'ui, 53 pts = ( Missile Pod x2 + Bonding Knife Ritual)
1 Crisis Shas'ui, 53 pts = ( Missile Pod x2 + Bonding Knife Ritual)

CRISIS TEAM #2
1 Crisis Shas'vre, 68 pts = (Fusion Blaster x1 + Plasma Rifle x1 + Bonding Knife Ritual + Early Warning Override)
1 Crisis Shas'ui, 58 pts = (Fusion Blaster x1 + Plasma Rifle x1 + Bonding Knife Ritual + Early Warning Override)
1 Crisis Shas'ui, 53 pts = (Fusion Blaster x1 + Plasma Rifle x1 + Bonding Knife Ritual)

CRISIS MONAT
1 Crisis Shas'ui, 53 pts = (Fusion Blaster x2 + Bonding Knife Ritual)

RIPTIDE #1
1 Riptide Shas'vre, 226 pts = (Ion Accelerator + Plasma Rifle + Bonding Knife Ritual + Early Warning Override + Stimulant Injector)

RIPTIDE #2
1 XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit, 270 pts = (Stimulant Injector + Early Warning Override)

Formation: Optimized Stealth Cadre (15#, 619 pts)

1 Stealth Shas'ui, 31 pts = (Burst Cannon + Bonding Knife Ritual)

1 Ghostkeel Shas'vre, 141 pts = (Cyclic Ion Raker + Twin Linked Fusion Blaster + Bonding Knife Ritual)

1 Ghostkeel Shas'vre, 146 pts = (Cyclic Ion Raker + Twin Linked Fusion Blaster + Target Lock + Bonding Knife Ritual)

1 Ghostkeel Shas'vre, 146 pts = (Cyclic Ion Raker + Twin Linked Fusion Blaster + Target Lock + Bonding Knife Ritual)

Formation: Drone-Net VX1-0 (16#, 224 pts)

4 MV7 Marker Drones, 56 pts
Last edited by Crimzzen on Mar 29 2017 03:34, edited 3 times in total.

R.D.
Shas'La

Re: 1850 Tau - Haven't played since 5th - HELP!

Post#2 » Mar 28 2017 10:08

Crimzzen wrote:Couple of questions: Y'vahra - This is a forgeworld model, can I take it in a regular game? Is it something my opponent could block? It's so pretty looking! I've lost touch with suit configurations and while I've read the primers I'm still not sure it's all clicking in the current meta.

Depends, in some circles Forgeworld models have a stigma and it's considered etiquette to ask ahead. For something like Apoc it'd be fair game. Otherwise, since the rules IIRC are still experimental, better to just make sure with the opponent.

Crimzzen
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 29 2017 09:30

R.D. wrote:
Crimzzen wrote:Couple of questions: Y'vahra - This is a forgeworld model, can I take it in a regular game? Is it something my opponent could block? It's so pretty looking! I've lost touch with suit configurations and while I've read the primers I'm still not sure it's all clicking in the current meta.

Depends, in some circles Forgeworld models have a stigma and it's considered etiquette to ask ahead. For something like Apoc it'd be fair game. Otherwise, since the rules IIRC are still experimental, better to just make sure with the opponent.

Ah then I probably won't buy one. Maybe just a second riptide and more suits or piranhas?

Mirth
Shas'La

Post#4 » Mar 29 2017 11:35

Thing with the Y'vahra is that if your opponent doesn't require everything to be fully WYSIWYG, you could pick one up and have it stand-in for a normal Riptide if they are unwilling to let the FW profile in. For all intents and purposes it has the same dimensions as a normal Riptide (and in my experience most people are fine with the FW profile being used). I do agree with R.D., though, it is polite to ask ahead. Normally isn't an issue, though. As regards the Y'vahra itself, it is one of the best (if not the best) stand-alone model we have at our disposal at the moment, so I would recommend it quite highly.

You are correct regarding the individual point-cost- GW, being strict with its intellectual property rights, doesn't let us post individual points.

As far as Ghostkeels go, the Optimized Stealth Cadre is very, very good, particularly if you put three Ghostkeels into it (you won't be disappointed). ;) Definitely take the Cyclic Ion Raker with them, it generally performs much better than their other option.

For your list, it looks pretty solid and should perform quite well in most all circumstances. :) Good luck!
When we forget we are soldiers, we stop fighting.

Crimzzen
Shas

Post#5 » Mar 29 2017 03:33

Mirth wrote:Thing with the Y'vahra is that if your opponent doesn't require everything to be fully WYSIWYG, you could pick one up and have it stand-in for a normal Riptide if they are unwilling to let the FW profile in. For all intents and purposes it has the same dimensions as a normal Riptide (and in my experience most people are fine with the FW profile being used). I do agree with R.D., though, it is polite to ask ahead. Normally isn't an issue, though. As regards the Y'vahra itself, it is one of the best (if not the best) stand-alone model we have at our disposal at the moment, so I would recommend it quite highly.

You are correct regarding the individual point-cost- GW, being strict with its intellectual property rights, doesn't let us post individual points.

As far as Ghostkeels go, the Optimized Stealth Cadre is very, very good, particularly if you put three Ghostkeels into it (you won't be disappointed). ;) Definitely take the Cyclic Ion Raker with them, it generally performs much better than their other option.

For your list, it looks pretty solid and should perform quite well in most all circumstances. :) Good luck!

Thanks for the input, good point about the Y'vahra. Would keep me from having two of the same riptides should I need to swap it out. I've also manually modified the post to not include specific point costs.

Return to “Cadre Building”