List building and commander loadout. Need advice.

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Arqueek
Shas

List building and commander loadout. Need advice.

Post#1 » Apr 03 2017 03:15

Hi! I'm a new player of 40k, and I'm currently building my first list; right now I'm aiming to a 1500 points list, and I already bought some stuff. However, inexperienced as I am, I'm not sure about the decisions I took while planning my list initially and I would love some advice.

First off, I should say that I don't want a competitive list; my friends are very competitive and they are just starting to play right now, If I were to create an army that would win most times, they will probably stop playing and I would be left without anyone to play with. If I manage to get them into the hobby, however, they are very likely to start researching and start getting the best lists possible for their respective armies, judging by their behaviour in other games we played in the past, but I guess I will face that when it comes. My friends have necrons and (maybe, he hasn't decided yet) eldar.

So right now I just have a rough idea of the list I wanted, but, again I have no idea of how it would actually work on the field. These are the minis I've got right now:

-1 Commander (Unassembled)
-10 Strike team firewarriors.
-16 Kroot carnivores and 4 Kroot hounds
-3 Stealth suits
-1 Razorshark Strike Fighter.
-1 Ghostkeel (unassembled)
-1 Riptide (unassembled)
-1 Crisis suit (unassembled)
- Additionally, I will probably soon buy a box of pathfinders for Shadow war armaggedon.

I was thinking of doing a hunter cadre + Optimised stealth cadre + ¿Air caste support?

So, as I am pretty lost, I would love some advice on how I could build a list from where I am at, and what to buy next.

In addition, I have my commander sitting in his box, as I am too scared to assemble it, i am not very handy so I don't know if I would be able to magnetize it and I don't want to regreat the loadout that I'll give him, I was planning to take him with marker drones as a Mark'O, as a source for markerlights, but I still don't know if that is my best bet.

Thank you in advance :)

Lord Mayhem
Shas

Re: List building and commander loadout. Need advice.

Post#2 » Apr 03 2017 03:17

If you plan for an OSC, you'll want another 3 stealth suits. Similarly, for a Hunter cadre I believe you'll need a "Heavy choice" (XV-88/Stormsurge/Hammerhead/Sniper Drones)

Making a "non competitive list" is a bit harder, since it really depends on skill levels and what your opponent fields. If your opponents are just starting out, I would look at avoiding special rules as much as possible; keep it simple while they're figuring it out. For that reason, I would suggest building a CAD to start with; it avoids the formation rules (which you can then bring in as they get more competitive to boost your strength without having to buy more models)
One rule of thumb (well, it's more like a guideline really...) I use as a starter is "don't field more than one of any unit (except basic troops)" since many competitive lists are built around spamming certain units (riptides come to mind, as do scatter bikes). It also helps in making you practice with more different units to learn what each can and cannot do.

As far as expanding your list, the rumors of 8th Ed coming this summer could revalue/rebalance a lot of units so I would be cautious. Depending on how long it takes you to assemble or build your stuff, it may be out by the time you're ready to expand. A Hammerhead is probably a safe bet, and with minor modifications can be fielded as a Hammerhead/Skyray or Devilfish from one kit making it pretty flexible. Broadsides are a solid choice against almost anything. More crisis suits are always a good choice.

As far as a commander load out, it's very much personal choice and playstyle. I would avoid the Buff'O build till you have more suits.
There are several threads that touch on commander load outs, so a search might help.
Since you are concerned about your magnetization ability, you could try blu-tac or a similar substance to hold systems in place while you experiment, so you can try out different loads and find what works for you before you glue them. For most opponents Missile Pods and Plasma are good general purpose weapons, Fusion is good against armor and TEQ, and a CIB is a good (limited range) general purpose weapon. One nice thing is they all cost the same number of points so you can switch them out without having to recalculate points.
Many people modify their commanders with extra bitz to make them stand out, many of which can be used to represent signature systems or wargear, so I would not worry too much about attaching non weapon wargear (take a look at various galleries). As long as you identify his load out before games it should be good.

Neffarious
Shas

Post#3 » Apr 03 2017 07:58

I would strongly urge, advise and recommend that you magnetize your suits (at very least the Commander) for numerous reasons, not the least of which is the rumor that weapon profiles will be changing in 8th edition and it breaks my heart to think that a lovingly painted model will have to have its arms ripped off or worse, sit unused on the shelf, because GW nerf something you glued on and now your weapons are undesirable. Magnets may seem daunting at first, but no army benefits from them more than Tau, and they will go a very long way towards enhancing your enjoyment of the game.

That said, a CAD is definitely a good idea, and a Cadre Fireblade is a great way to start one since you already have the minimum required troops. I think you will find the fireblade serves the standard CAD gunline better than the crisis commander does.

I noticed you only have 16 Kroot, which are fielded 10 to a unit, so think about picking up at least 4 more, since Kroot Hounds are not "Kroot" according to GW. With 2 full units of Kroot, you can have a 10 man firewarrior squad led by the Fireblade to form the backbone of a Huner Cadre.

To clarify, you said you have 1 Crisis suit? What happened to his buddies? While I have nothing against Monats (single suit units) three guys with plasma and Target Locks, bubblewrapped in shield (or even gun) drones can deal with a lot of different treats. Consider picking up 2 more.

If you assemble the Riptide, get those pathfinders, and pick up a Hammerhead your Hunter Cadre is complete.

If you want to field the OSC, you will definitely need another box of stealth suits, but I think you will also find the formation plays best with two Ghostkeel, not one (and three is pushing it), because if your opponent eliminates the 'keel, that formation loses all of its bite so always field (at least) two.
:D You can't spell slaughter without laughter :D

Arqueek
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 04 2017 08:50

Thank you so much for the replies! They were very helpfull.

I will start with a CAD then, I guess I got too excited by the tau codex formations and fell into the risk of overcomplicating the beginning of my experience. I hadn't thought about the rumored release of 8th edition, so yes, I should probably magnetize my suits, even if it frightens me a little. I may try magnetization with my crisis suit first, because I pretty much got that mini for free and I wouldn't feel AS terrible if I ruined it.

I didn't think of the hammerhead, but It may be a good option, I'll most probably follow your advice on that.

And yep! I only have 1 crisis suit, I bought my ghostkeel from someone I know for 23 euros (a bargain) and he added the crisis suit as an extra, so that's why I only have 1. I will also look for more crisis suits, (maybe I'll buy a "start collecting:tau"?) as you both advised, maybe right after I at least paint one of the big battlesuits I have (riptide or ghostkeel).

I wish I knew the fireblade was useful in the CAD formation beforehand, because I am doing an invisible friend (not sure if it is called like that in english; a game in which some friends give one another presents without knowing who is going to give it to you, in this case, we have to paint a miniature for one another) and one of the miniatures I said I wanted was the fireblade, so if I buy one now, I risk getting another one later... I guess that would not be the end of the world, but still...

Again, thanks both to Lord Mayhem and Neffarious for the quick and extensive responses, I'm feeling more confident now in what I should be looking for moving forward with my tau!. :D

Lord Mayhem
Shas

Post#5 » Apr 04 2017 01:03

I would point out there are a number of threads about magnetizing suits that may help you. It's not as hard as it may look at first; my biggest problem is keeping the magnets oriented the same way.
If you start, I would suggest magnetizing the flight stands for your suits and drones; it makes them easier to transport, and you no longer have to worry about the stand breaking off in the hole. It also can give you practice at attaching magnets on a non complicated area (glue a small round magnet to the top of the flight stem, enlarge the hole a little and put another in there, done)

Return to “Cadre Building”