Newbie Slapfight: My first 500 point battle

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Newbie Slapfight: My first 500 point battle

Post#1 » Apr 05 2017 03:59

So I'm about to play my first 40k game tomorrow and the guy helping me learn told me to come up with a 500 point list.

My thought was to avoid expensive lynchpin models that need support, and just focus on throwing bodies and dice.

Originally I had missile pods on the crisis suits with no thrusters, but I thought the cyclic ion blasters gave me a bit of versatility, and the movement seemed more useful as they are each their own unit.

I have watched every miniwargaming batrep involving tau, and a bunch more from other 40k vloggers. I understand basic concepts, just not implementing them in game.

++ Combined Arms Detachment (Tau Empire: Codex (2015)) [500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Ethereal [50pts]

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [57pts]
·· Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Cyclic Ion Blaster, Vectored Retro-Thrusters

+ Troops +

Kroot Carnivores [70pts]: 10x Kroot, Sniper Rounds

Strike Team [63pts]: 7x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [146pts]: MB3 Recon Drone, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone, 8x Pathfinder

++ Total: [500pts] ++

These are the models I own to choose from if this helps:

Tau get started box
•Ethereal on Hover Drone, three XV8 Crisis Battlesuits, a ten-man Fire Warriors team (including two drones and a DS8 Support Turret) 8x drones

Optimised pathfinder team
•10 Pathfinders, a Pulse Accelerator Drone, Recon Drone and Grav-inhibitor Drone, and a TY7 Devilfish 2x drones

Kroot carnivores
•16 models

Broadside
•modeled with Twin-linked Smart Missiles, 2x drones

Riptide
•bought used, missing drones, but has both guns

What do you guys think? I have no idea what I'm up against, so I guess it's hard to judge how well it will do. Any flaws? Anything that is glaringly wasteful?

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: Newbie Slapfight: My first 500 point battle

Post#2 » Apr 05 2017 04:20

Looks like a decent list for 500p honestly. No glaring faults or anything. You might have some trouble if your opponent has a HQ with 2+ armor in one of his units though But there is not much you can do about it at that point level except for trying to force 1s on his saving throws by getting a lot of wounds on that unit. Cyclic Ion Blaster together with Markerlights help a lot there.

Another thing you could do is reducing that one Pathfinder unit to 6 guys without Drones (they aren't that great anyway) and adding a 4 man Pathfinder team with Rail Rifles. Just be aware that they aren't the most usefull loadout in higher point games since Pathfinder are so squishy.

Sidenote: everything could change in like 3 months since according to rumours 8th edition is supposed to get released then. So when I talk about usefullness of some things and what a list could need etc. it's about the current situation.
In future 2+ armor might be a lot less of a problem. ;)

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Apr 05 2017 05:17

If possible split up the pathfinders, that way you can markerlight two targets at once (which is far more useful than hitting a single target with double the markerlights).
Solid list though

TauMinded
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Apr 06 2017 12:37

I'd suggest dropping all the PF drones you've got and create this list as a Farsight Enclaves CAD. You get more obsec units. The FSE CAD allows you to take crisis suits as troop choices. So 3 suits and a unit of FWs will give you 4 decent board control units with obsec. One of which is a 10 man FW unit to slide your HQ into.

I would also suggest modeling the Etherial as a cadre fireblade and stick him with the 10 FWs. To do this and keep points in mind: remove the Etherial, drop one Pathfinder from a unit and add in the Cadre Fireblade.
The Etherial is a decent unit, but he's vulnerable/weak under fire and gives up a victory point if he dies. It can be dangerous to slot him in only a 10 man unit.

As a side note, typically you don't want to include drones alongside the larger suits. As when the weaker drones go down it can force the unit to fall back if they fail LD for the 25% losses rule. There are caveats to that (like the GK drones), but in general it's not helpful.

Here is a 493 pt list using the models you have currently.
Two Crisis suits are outfitted with 2x plasma to deal with 2+ armor.
One crisis suit with 2x cyclic ion blasters to deal with larger squads or higher T.
Included the broadside with early warning override to deal with opponents heavy armor or DS units.

++ Combined Arms Detachment (Tau Empire: Codex (2015)) [493pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

Farsight Enclaves

+ HQ +

Ethereal

+ Troops +

Strike Team: Bonding Knife Ritual, 10x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: Bonding Knife Ritual
·· Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Cyclic Ion Blaster

·· Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Plasma Rifle

·· Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Plasma Rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team: Bonding Knife Ritual, 5x Pathfinder

Pathfinder Team: Bonding Knife Ritual, 5x Pathfinder

+ Heavy Support +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits: Bonding Knife Ritual
·· Broadside: Early Warning Override, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System

++ Total: [493pts]

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Apr 09 2017 10:39

So I played my first game last night.

The guy that has been deemed the organizer of the 40k group at the store, decided I should team up with two other newbies. These were two 16 year old kids who were very spastic and couldn't focus on the game for more than 5 minutes without looking at their phones. They were a duo playing the same space marine army, and I had my Tau.

I suggested I start off in a 500 point game versus a vet who knows what they're doing, the 40k Jarl took this as a personal affront to his leadership ability and before I knew it, the teen duo and I were up against a 2000 point ultramarine army, who just had to field Gulliman.

So it's 1000 points of new person tau and 1000 points of space marines, versus a veterans 2000 points of ultras. I had to scramble a list together, and had to deal with not knowing literally anything about how to play. The teens didn't try to strategize with me at all.

The vet got to deploy first, and won initiative. Turn 1 he wiped out my broadside, half my markerlights, took 2 wounds from my riptide and a few kroot. Next turn I took 3 wounds from Gulliman. Turn 3 Gulliman charged and wasn't aware of tau supporting fire which allows every unit within 6" of the charged unit to fire overwatch. By this time the teens conceded.

I rolled over 40 dice, and Gulliman saved every single one. Next turn Gulliman wiped all my firewarriors, a tank obliterated my riptide, and some other crazy unit took out 2 of my remaining 3 crisis suits.

Last turn I threw everything at Robute, killed him, then he rolled, and came back next turn.

I conceded.

I ended up with 3 victory points, and killed 2 bikes. The vet had 12 vp.

Now, there were a few guys who were trying to help me out. I think it was not only because I was new, but because they knew the dude was being too harsh. The vet was trying to be helpful with the rules, he just didn't try to go easy on us. The vet and i talked for about an hour afterwards. He seemed nice about it, but just couldn't seem to put the competitive side down for a second. He wanted to win more than help.

Out of the 20 or so guys that play there, about 6 of them are normal well adjusted people who knew what was going on. The rest have a superiority complex, are too competitive, or can't function civilly.

I'm not going to write the store off just yet because there are some cool, chill dudes there who were all looking at the guy like "really dude?" During the match. Some guys even came up to me afterwards and offered to play smaller more helpful games with me next week.

TauMinded
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Apr 09 2017 03:44

That sucks to hear. Too bad the neck beard was strong in that one. He didn't know better and I would honestly just avoid playing him again. He just wanted to play his 2000pt army with the new characters & didn't care how your experience went.

Definitely take those other people up on their offer to play smaller games with ya < 1000pt. It'll go much better :)

I dunno how you played with kids either. I can't do it. No attention spans and their demeanor while playing just grates on me.

Hopefully your next games go well, cheers :)

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Apr 09 2017 04:13

Thanks!

I didn't want to play alongside anyone really. We didn't strategize or anything anyways so it was more like them going off on their own, while I dealt with trying to hurt gulliman.

Hopefully next week will go better.

Return to “Cadre Building”