Tips for a starter cadre?

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Nagito Komaeda
Shas'Saal

Tips for a starter cadre?

Post#1 » Apr 11 2017 11:02

Hey ATT!
I'm planning on getting my hands on the first steps towards the Greater Good this weekend! It's so exciting, especially since I've been putting it off for almost 3 months. :roll:

Anyway, getting back on the point, my initial idea was to buy the Start Collecting! and the Optimised Pathfinder team, because in my opinion, it's a good way to start.
However, I've also heard and read that Pathfinders aren't really the way to go, and thus, I would like to hear your judgement.
I've got around 150 euro's to work with, which could get me a fair share of models. However, I am going to need some paints and possibly also a Codex, if need be.

I vividly await!
- Nagito Komaeda
Remember, it's all for the sake of Ultimate Hope!

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: Tips for a starter cadre?

Post#2 » Apr 11 2017 11:14

Pathfinders are fine unless you really want to get into competetive 40k. ;)

The Start Collecting Box is definitely the best way to start. I'd even say buy it twice. Even if it's just for the Crisis it's still worth it since you could easily sell the Firewarrior online if you absolutely don't want to use them. The Ethereal is just a neat bonus (and your first HQ).

The Optimised Pathfinder Team is okay as well. The big Battleforce box would've been even better but that one was limited unfortunately.

So yeah my tip would be: Start Collecting -> Optimised Pathfinder. That together with some paints and other tools should be around your 150€ already probably.
The next step could be: a second Start Collecting -> Commander

That way you end up with a good basis and already about 1000 points.

After that you can completely concentrate on bigger stuff like Ghostkeel, Riptides, Broadsides or Tanks.....whatever you like basically. ;)

To end my post a very important advice: look into magnetizing your Crisis Suits. You'll regret not doing it sooner than later and it's really not hard to do at all. ^^

Nagito Komaeda
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Apr 11 2017 11:34

Thanks for your comment, Panzer!

I've considered taking the Start Collecting! twice, just because of the insane value you get with the Crisis Battlesuits. The Fire Warriors are a nice addition as well, and the Ethereal... It's a one-of, so I could use it as a flesh 'practice' model, which would be barbarical as all Chaos.

The Commander seems interesting to me, because I cannot decide if I want him to have the XV8-02 Iridium, the XV86 Coldstar or the generic one. It has bothered me since I've look him up, because him being a flyer has good and bad sides to it. What would you recommend?

Anyway, the points kind of matter, but my friend doesn't like all out 1500 to 2000 point games, so that wouldn't matter that much. Saves me some money :D

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#4 » Apr 11 2017 12:19

The coldstar variant has more bad sides than good sides to it unfortunately. His damage output is rather low unless he can get behind some tanks with AV10 and if your enemy has some anti-air or flyer himself he is practically dead.
I love him....in theory. But not being able to take signature systems and those fix weapons together with T4 as flyer is really dumb. On top of that he is pretty expensive as well.

I wouldn't worry about the Iridium Suit. It's true that there are bits to represent the Iridium Suit on the regular Crisis box, however according to our fluff it isn't supposed to look any different (first they developed the Broadside armor for more protection which was too bulky for Crisis unfortunately until they managed to build the Iridium Suit which combines the durability of the Broadside Suit with the mobility and slim statue of the Crisis Suit but was too hard to produce to become the new standard).

Nagito Komaeda
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Apr 11 2017 01:02

Aha, I see.
Guess I'll put off the Coldstar one and just make the Commander the way I'd like him the most!

TauMinded
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Apr 11 2017 06:12

I went through the same Coldstar let down. This unit seemed great to me initially and I was excited about the mobility. I should also note my other army is Nids and I'm used to a Flyrant. Perhaps a little limited in customization, but what ever, that didn't bother me. Then someone pointed out the T4 versus a S9 grounding test and your HQ can get 1 shot. Totally makes the unit useless IMO & I had such high hopes.

I'd also just want to throw this out there. If you grab 2x Getting Started Boxes and forget about the Optimized Pathfinder box. You'd have 6 crisis suits and 20 FWs and 2 Ethereals (keep 1 as an Ethereal and maybe model one as a Cadre Fireblade). Those two Get Started boxes also gives you 16 drones I believe; as 8 comes in each box (if not grab a drone pack or two to round out to 16). Then you can run the "Drone Net VX1" formation. Which is one of the best sources for markerlights and better than Pathfinders IMO. Just a thought and perhaps a direction to consider if you weren't sold on Pathfinders.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#7 » Apr 12 2017 01:45

TauMinded wrote:I went through the same Coldstar let down. This unit seemed great to me initially and I was excited about the mobility. I should also note my other army is Nids and I'm used to a Flyrant. Perhaps a little limited in customization, but what ever, that didn't bother me. Then someone pointed out the T4 versus a S9 grounding test and your HQ can get 1 shot. Totally makes the unit useless IMO & I had such high hopes.

I'd also just want to throw this out there. If you grab 2x Getting Started Boxes and forget about the Optimized Pathfinder box. You'd have 6 crisis suits and 20 FWs and 2 Ethereals (keep 1 as an Ethereal and maybe model one as a Cadre Fireblade). Those two Get Started boxes also gives you 16 drones I believe; as 8 comes in each box (if not grab a drone pack or two to round out to 16). Then you can run the "Drone Net VX1" formation. Which is one of the best sources for markerlights and better than Pathfinders IMO. Just a thought and perhaps a direction to consider if you weren't sold on Pathfinders.

You can't really build them all as Markerlight Drones though and using that formation might be a bit much depending on his meta. I imagine many people who don't like to play normal sized games aren't very fond of using formations either.

TauMinded
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Apr 12 2017 03:10

Yeah I wouldn't do an entire formation of ML drones. Do 2/2 Gun/ML. If this is the only formation brought and the other is a standard CAD, that isn't too bad IMO. Just the most efficient way to bring ML and some more useful gun drones. Not really game breaking/OP stuff.

Nagito Komaeda
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Apr 12 2017 06:11

Thanks for the nice comments all!

I have a tiny reasoning NOT to take the Drone Net Formation, because it gives them all Interceptor. Sure, for tournaments, this is great and all, but my friend (Dark Angels player) has Deep Strike as his only saving grace against ranged factions, and I am not keen on ruining the fun of sweet victory for him.

You can't really build them all as Markerlight Drones though and using that formation might be a bit much depending on his meta. I imagine many people who don't like to play normal sized games aren't very fond of using formations either.

Quite the opposite for me and my friend; We both very much like the provided formations! I was thinking about taking the Ranged Support Cadre at some point, but I also like the Ethereal Council and the Piranha Firestream Wing. Tempted to get the last one too, but I might want a good base first.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#10 » Apr 12 2017 06:16

I wouldn't worry too much about intercepting drones. Those only become very dangerous to him if you also take a bunch of plasma crisis or a riptide or such with interceptor as well.
It's rather the opposite: Interceptor is OUR only saving grace against a Deep Strike heavy list. Without that we usually get wiped pretty hard if we focus on Crisis and regular Infantry mostly since those have a really hard time to survive a proper Drop Pod alpha strike.

Return to “Cadre Building”