Need advice for Sudden Death

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Need advice for Sudden Death

Post#1 » Jun 08 2017 01:53

Hello fellow Commanders,

I'm going for a game against an Chaos/ Traitors Legion force. It's a 2000 pts. game with a LOW on both sides. He brings an Chaos Knight to the action. I think there will be a Land Raider, too and probably a Drake or two. What else I have to expect I do not know.

The problem I have is, that I haven't played since nearly a half year and I'm a bit rusty. I'm searching a strong list to make a good opponent to my enemy. I'm a bit nervous regarding the Knight and maybe the Land Raider. The last one has been my Nemesis since Broadsides lost their S10 weaponary.

I love Suits to be honest. Crisis suits are such a great unit and fun to play and the play style of the Dawn Blade Contingent in combination with the Retaliation Cadre is unique and fun from a fluffwise perspective.

So I would like to go with a Dawn Blade Contingent and of course a Ret. Cadre. To bring in the Stormsurge I went for a CAD.

I do not expect a strong Alphastrike from Chaos. Therefore I hope that my army will not suffer to hard in the first round of shooting. Chaos should get close fast I think, so there won't be much shooting I hope.

Markerdrones, a few Crisis and of course the Stormsurge are on table from beginning. Maybe I can light up the Knight on turn one and push some Destroyer Missiles into him. On turn two there comes the pain. My Commander drops in with the Fusion Crisis to destroy whatever hard target still lives. Maybe a Tank, maybe a Knight. The Plasmaguns are of course for hunting some TEQ, like Kyborgs (Obliterators?), HQ or whatever. The single double Fusion is there to get an easy kill on a tank or something, maybe just for Missionpoints.

Bursttide stands for his own I think, and the Broadsides are clear, too.

I think overall the list is really straight forward. With the drone Net, Stormsurge and a Ret cadre it should be strong, too I think.

On the other hand, a second Riptide would be great of course, and a OSC is great too. Some Tetras would maybe good, because of the Homing Beacon shenanigans.

Fire Warriors are definitely not out, maybe breachers? Possibly are Remoras, more Broadsides and a Barracuda and lots of Tanks, both Hammerheads and Sky Rays. Kroots are available, too. I have a cool Taustyle Culqexus Assasine. So this would be an option, too.

Last word: The commander from the Ret Cadre has an ECPA. This is fore Riptide of course.

New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition) [1991pts]

Combined Arms Detachment (Tau Empire: Codex (2015))
Uncategorised
Farsight Enclaves

HQ
XV8 Commander Crisis Suit
Drone Controller, 2x Missile Pod, Target Lock

Troops
Bonding Knife Ritual, 2x MV1 Gun Drone
Crisis Shas'ui
2x Missile Pod

Crisis Shas'ui
2x Missile Pod

Crisis Shas'ui
2x Missile Pod

Crisis Shas'ui
2x Missile Pod

Lord of War
KV128 Stormsurge
Early Warning Override, Pulse Blastcannon, Shield Generator, Twin-linked Airbursting Fragmentation Projector

Tau Dawn Blade Contingent (Tau Empire: Codex (2015))
Uncategorised
Farsight Enclaves

Core
Retaliation Cadre
Commander
XV8 Commander Crisis Suit
Earth Caste Pilot Array, 2x Fusion Blaster, Puretide Engram Neurochip, Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit

XV104 Riptide Battlesuits
Bonding Knife Ritual
Riptide Shas'vre
Heavy Burst Cannon, Stimulant Injector, Twin-linked Smart Missile System

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
Crisis Shas'ui
2x Fusion Blaster, Vectored Retro-Thrusters
Crisis Shas'ui
2x Fusion Blaster

XV8 Crisis Battle-suits
Bonding Knife Ritual, 3x MV1 Gun Drone
Crisis Shas'ui
2x Plasma Rifle
Crisis Shas'vre
Neuroweb System Jammer, 2x Plasma Rifle

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
Bonding Knife Ritual
Crisis Shas'ui
2x Fusion Blaster

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits
Bonding Knife Ritual, 2x MV8 Missile Drone
Broadside
Counterfire Defence System, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System
Broadside Shas'vre
Counterfire Defence System, Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System

Auxiliary
Drone-Net VX1-0
Drones
4x MV7 Marker Drone
Drones
4x MV7 Marker Drone
Drones
4x MV7 Marker Drone
Drones
4x MV7 Marker Drone
Last edited by Chris on Dec 15 2017 09:35, edited 2 times in total.

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 2500Pts laugh in Y'vahra

Post#2 » Nov 30 2017 05:34

Tau'va everybody!

I'm planning a game with my new toy. It's a Y'ahra. It's so beautiful. I enjoyed to build it, and I'm excited to paint him. I hope it will be a pleasure to use him on the field, too.

I personally love battle suits and more mobile/aggressive lists. In 7th ed the ret cadre was fun to play. FSE in general was reall exciting to me.

ATM all my suits are a bit unused. Hammerheads where back in my lists and some more unused units, like Breacher in a Devilfish etc.

With the arriving of the Y'vhara I want to make a more suit focused list again. So, here is my try:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [92 PL, 1738pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Shas'o R'alai [10 PL, 155pts]: Drone controller
. 2x Blacklight Marker Drone: 2x Markerlight

+ Troops +

Strike Team [5 PL, 80pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse rifle
. 9x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Breacher Team [5 PL, 80pts]: 9x Fire Warrior, Fire Warrior Shas'ui

Kroot Carnivores [6 PL, 90pts]: 15x Kroot

+ Elites +

XV9 Hazard Support Team [14 PL, 234pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone
. XV9 Hazard Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, 2x Double-barelled burst cannon
. XV9 Hazard Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, 2x Double-barelled burst cannon

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 303pts]: 6x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'vre: 2x Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller

+ Heavy Support +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [11 PL, 250pts]: 2x MV8 Missile Drone
. Broadside Shas'ui: 2x High-yield missile pod, 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [11 PL, 250pts]: 2x MV8 Missile Drone
. Broadside Shas'ui: 2x High-yield missile pod, 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system

+ Dedicated Transport +

TY7 Devilfish [7 PL, 127pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon

TY7 Devilfish [7 PL, 127pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [39 PL, 727pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

+ Fast Attack +

Tactical Drones [6 PL, 88pts]: 11x MV1 Gun Drone

Pathfinder Team [6 PL, 48pts]
. 5x Pathfinder: 5x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit [20 PL, 415pts]: Advanced targeting system, Target lock

++ Total: [131 PL, 2465pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

So, what's the idea?

I have two teams.

Shas'o R'alai will be my back line commander. He will punch some hurt over the "long" distance in companion with the Broadsides. He will buff there those missile drones and the marker drones. The Pathfinders need no further explanation I think. The Strikers are for some backfield object sitting and some minor fire.

Kroots are here as a screen to prevent the enemy doing some fancy things with reserves.

The second part, and the stronger one, is the "attack force" with the y'vahra as a center piece. Breachers hurry up to the front. The Fireblade will buff the Drones. Those drones will put a lot of hurt. If I can manage to drop the crisis near those,drones, there will be even more drones and with some help of the drone controller from the crisis they will,be even more accurate. The Hazard suits bring even more drones and some serious amount of fire power on the table. So, as more and more Units enter the game, the stronger will be the attackforce there. This will get some pressure off my marker lights and the Y'vhara, but fits the style of tau good too, as my force supports itself.

The Commander with his four FB is really straight forward.

The plan is to counter a fast enemy with a lot of firepower, holding him tight on the middle of the board, buying my back line and some key units like the Y'vahra some serious time.

With all those drones and the accompanying firepower there should be some serious pain brought to the foes.

As it is ATM, I have still 35 pts. left. I could upgrade two crisis suits with 3 Iinrifles instead of 2 with ATS. There would be still 8pts left then. Maybe a Drone somewhere?

I could drop 2 missile drones, an buy 2 shielded missile drones from the Y'vhara maybe. The cost only 5 pts. more.

I could buy some more pathfinders.

The question is now up to you. How do you like the list, what should be improved and what is wrong? What would you do different and what do you think about the tactic? What would you buy with 35 pts?

I'm playing in a meta with more space marines or chaos marines.

My collection is big, so there are a lot of models I can swap out.

thanks a lot.
Chris

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 2500Pts laughs in Y'vahra

Post#3 » Dec 05 2017 07:19

I like this list! I'm not sure how competitive you're trying to make it, but there are a few things we can change right off the bat.

First, your squads are too big- you'll need to split them down to avoid morale losses. This means the Fire Warriors, Breachers, and Drones. Second, I'd also split the XV9s, and give each of them four Gun Drones. Third, you have a suit-heavy list, and that means you're going to sacrifice a lot of drones to keep them alive- on the XV8s, swap the Drone Controller for an ATS- the Drone Controller will only offer diminishing returns. Third, just remember that Broadsides are very weak in the Index, and require good Markerlight support, which your list does not include. Finally, swap your Commander's Gun Drones for Shield Drones.

When it comes to swapping out models, I'd recommend that you drop both Broadsides and add a few more HQ choices, that could increase your firepower and Command Points by quite a bit. Let me know what models you have, but for now I'm going to pencil in two more Commanders, another Fireblade, a few more Fire Warriors, and a few more Pathfinders. I'll make notes in the list where models have been added:

Here's what the rewrite would look like:

-

HQ - Shas'o R'alai; 2x Blacklight Marker Drones (155)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176) [Added]
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156) [Added]
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42) [Added]
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51) [Added]
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Troops - 13x Kroot Carnivores (78)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - XV9 w/ 2x DBBC, ATS; 4x Gun Drones (133)
Elites - XV9 w/ 2x DBBC, ATS; 4x Gun Drones (133)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders (48)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders (48) [Added]
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Target Lock, ATS (415)

Total: 2499 - Command Points: 11 (2 Battalion Detachments, 1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

Just brainstorming here of course, what do you think?

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Dec 09 2017 07:23

Wow, didn’t saw somebody posted something here. Amazing. Thank you.

So those are some really good points you made here. 11 command points... that’s a hole lot of command points to spend. With the new CA and our stratagem do you think I need marker lights even on Firewarriors?

With all those Drones, wouldn’t it be nice to get a drone controller there somewhere? Can you give me a hint, how to play them?

Are all those drones just for wound soaking, or do they attack, too? This list is a bit different to the original, now. But it’s a great list, really evil, but stuffed with all the cool toys I wanted, like R’alai etc. what hints can you give me to make a maximum of success with it?

My enemy will be a GK Player. Don’t know what he will bring, but he told me, his last matches where quick and really bloody. Mostly over after turn 3. How will this army do against them? What is essence to think about?

I’m happy with every bit of information.

thanks a lot.

Chris

Regarding Modells: i have even more fire Warriors and Crisis. 6 Ghosts, a Ghostkeel, 3Riptides, a Stormsurge and 5 Hammerheads. Piranhas and Tetras and nearly everything else, too.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Dec 10 2017 07:17

Chris wrote:So those are some really good points you made here. 11 command points... that’s a hole lot of command points to spend. With the new CA and our stratagem do you think I need marker lights even on Firewarriors?

It's a ton! You can use the stratagem every turn and use a command re-roll every turn, an even get more Command Points with our relic! Having too many CP is never a bad thing. The Markerlights on the Fire Warriors are just there for "good measure"- even if your enemy kills all of your Pathfinders you'll still have a few 'lights on the board.

Chris wrote:With all those Drones, wouldn’t it be nice to get a drone controller there somewhere? Can you give me a hint, how to play them?

There is one Drone Controller- on Shas'o R'alai! If you need more Drone Controllers though, feel free to switch the two XV9s' ATS with Drone Controllers- that will make them much better at supporting drones at the cost of a little firepower. To make the most out of a Drone Controller, deploy the unit via Manta Strike near drones that are already on the table. So, by and large, move your drones on turn 1, then Manta Strike in the XV9 near the drones, and then have the XV9 babysit the drones for the rest of the game!

Chris wrote:Are all those drones just for wound soaking, or do they attack, too?

Both! Position the Gun Drones within Savior Protocols range of your battlesuits, and keep them between the battlesuits and the enemy. Gun Drones have great attack power, so attack whenever you can! Don't be afraid to sacrifice them, though- their purpose is to shoot and to die when needed.

Chris wrote:What hints can you give me to make a maximum of success with it?

Choose 1-2 objectives in your backfield, and set up your Fire Warriors and Kroot there. That will be your "home base". Set the Manta Strike units in reserve, then deploy the Devilfish and Y'vahra a bit forward. Use those fast units to rush out and meet the enemy head-on, while deep-strike units drop down and blunt the enemy advance. Don't wait for the enemy to move, always take the tactical initiative where you can, but largely your goal is to get in your enemy's face, destroy their transports and heavy hitters at close range, then "skirmish" as you slowly move backwards killing the enemy foot units as they try to reach you.

Chris wrote:My enemy will be a GK Player. Don’t know what he will bring, but he told me, his last matches where quick and really bloody. Mostly over after turn 3. How will this army do against them? What is essence to think about?

Grey Knights will bring heavy infantry (Space Marines and Terminators), large walkers (Dreadnoughts and Dreadknights), tough vehicles (Stormravens and Land Raiders) and powerful HQs (Draigo, Voldus, etc.). They're an army that loves to get into combat. Out of their vehicles, they're slow. Set up like I suggested, then your goal will be to destroy their mobility- a Land Raider kill on turn 1 would be fantastic. Then take down the big stuff (like Dreadnoughts), focus-firing to prioritize kills over damage, while staying out of charge range of their infantry. Once the big stuff is dead, then clean up the basic infantry. That make sense?

Chris wrote:Regarding Modells: i have even more fire Warriors and Crisis. 6 Ghosts, a Ghostkeel, 3Riptides, a Stormsurge and 5 Hammerheads. Piranhas and Tetras and nearly everything else, too.

Do you have enough models to make the list I suggested? Or are there some changes you want to make?

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Dec 10 2017 01:02

Do you have enough models to make the list I suggested? Or are there some changes you want to make?

I wasn’t sure regarding the Gun Drones, but I looked up today. I have enough. In the first draft I had those Broadsides in. I thought they would fit good in my backfield camp. The drones would fit to R‘alai etc. But I’m ok with this „loss“. They are really expensive and I heard that they do underperform. Bringing my commanders to the brawl is cool, as I didn’t used them a time.

The list itself looked good. After I looked up, if I have all models available I had a great Strikeforce in front of me. There are two LTV‘s, a lot Infantry, medium and heavy armored Battlesuits, a big suit, some Kroot etc. lots of different models. The „feeling“ of the army is right. Only some tanks, flyers and small battlesuits are missing, but again I’m more than ok with that. I love to play a „colorfull“ army with lots of different unittypes. This makes the fight not boring.

Coming back from this romantic view on the list to a more practical: I used to play Farsight enclaves back in 7th ed. So I’m used to play a lot of battlesuits and (mostly marker—)Drones. This time I have to handle a lot of infantry, but it shouldn‘t be a problem.

In my last game I lost my Stormsurge on turn one due to a mistake with the positioning of my kroots. The „deepstrike denialshield“ was not big enough so the enemy could drop too close to my Stormsurge and destroy it in one turn of shooting. So, the question: should I maximize this „shield“? Between my models and the Kroot I could potentially left a distance from 18“ or am I wrong? Should I pay attention to something?

R‘alai has a DC, but my first thoughts were, that I leave him in the backfield. Potentially he gets the Relic (can he?) and try’s to keep alive as my warlord. That said, which unit would you recommend as carryier of the relic and which being my warlord. Should I move R‘alai more to the front, to support the Gundrones?

Loosing the ATS on the Hazards feels wrong. They put out a really massive amount of fire out. In my last game they obliterated a Havoc Squad, thanks to the ATS which denied the coverbonus. But all those drones without a DC? I fear to lose weight of fire. I think I have to sleep a night and think then again ;) but shouldn’t be that big deal. Both are viable.

Talking about tactics: especially in the Y‘vahra is my hope to obliterate the enemy. He’s good at killing multiwound high armor targets. With damage 3 weapons he makes no halt when facing land Raiders, Terminators or Dreadknights. I think my enemy has a Land Raider, but also 3 or 4 Dreadknights at his disposal. So I fear not, that my Y‘vahra runs out of targets. :D

I think, that he won’t have that many guys on the board, so it will be a quick and dirty fight in my half as he will move quick or deepstrike.

I’m really excited, to use this army and I’m looking forward to face the GK. Don’t know, if it’s important to say, but we want to use the „open war“ cards.

Using drones with Saviour protocol is something really new. I don’t expect too much, as this all is something totally new. But you gave me already a good amount of hints. Thank you.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Dec 10 2017 06:26

Chris wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Do you have enough models to make the list I suggested? Or are there some changes you want to make?

I wasn’t sure regarding the Gun Drones, but I looked up today. I have enough. In the first draft I had those Broadsides in. I thought they would fit good in my backfield camp. The drones would fit to R‘alai etc. But I’m ok with this „loss“. They are really expensive and I heard that they do underperform. Bringing my commanders to the brawl is cool, as I didn’t used them a time.

Yeah, Broadsides are fun units, and I hope they get a boost in the Codex, but otherwise they just don't have a place in Index lists right now.

Chris wrote:The list itself looked good. After I looked up, if I have all models available I had a great Strikeforce in front of me. There are two LTV‘s, a lot Infantry, medium and heavy armored Battlesuits, a big suit, some Kroot etc. lots of different models. The „feeling“ of the army is right. Only some tanks, flyers and small battlesuits are missing, but again I’m more than ok with that. I love to play a „colorfull“ army with lots of different unittypes. This makes the fight not boring.

Thanks! Right now Tau tanks (Hammerheads, Skyrays) just aren't powerful enough to bring, but maybe they'll become better in the Codex. Do you own a Sun Shark Bomber though? It's a good flyer!

Chris wrote:In my last game I lost my Stormsurge on turn one due to a mistake with the positioning of my kroots. The „deepstrike denialshield“ was not big enough so the enemy could drop too close to my Stormsurge and destroy it in one turn of shooting. So, the question: should I maximize this „shield“? Between my models and the Kroot I could potentially left a distance from 18“ or am I wrong? Should I pay attention to something?

Pay attention to the models in your enemy's army, and which models can deep strike. Since the enemy must land 9" away from your Stormsurge and your screening models, it shouldn't be too hard to use the 13 Kroot and 18 Fire Warriors to deny deep strike around the Stormsurge entirely. Don't wrap tightly around the Stormsurge, make it loose- imagine that each model has an 18" "field" around it that prevents deep strikes. Maximize the area of those "fields" and you should be safe from deep strikes.

Chris wrote:R‘alai has a DC, but my first thoughts were, that I leave him in the backfield. Potentially he gets the Relic (can he?) and try’s to keep alive as my warlord. That said, which unit would you recommend as carryier of the relic and which being my warlord. Should I move R‘alai more to the front, to support the Gundrones?

As R'alai is a named character (unlike a "Commander", which has no name), he cannot take the Relic. R'alai's only strength is his gun, Drone Controller, and durability, so I would definitely move him forward.

Chris wrote:Loosing the ATS on the Hazards feels wrong. They put out a really massive amount of fire out. In my last game they obliterated a Havoc Squad, thanks to the ATS which denied the coverbonus. But all those drones without a DC? I fear to lose weight of fire.

I agree. Keep ATS on the XV9s and use R'alai as the Drone controller.

Chris wrote:Especially in the Y‘vahra is my hope to obliterate the enemy. He’s good at killing multiwound high armor targets. With damage 3 weapons he makes no halt when facing land Raiders, Terminators or Dreadknights. I think my enemy has a Land Raider, but also 3 or 4 Dreadknights at his disposal. So I fear not, that my Y‘vahra runs out of targets. :D

The Y'vahra will do very well against all vehicle targets, but it will do best against Dreadknights, and it will destroy Terminators and Paladins, especially if they don't have Storm Shields!

Chris wrote:Using drones with Saviour protocol is something really new. I don’t expect too much, as this all is something totally new. But you gave me already a good amount of hints. Thank you.

Well, your Battlesuits are more important than your Drones, right? So, if you take a hit from a Lascannon or a powerful weapon, make your Drones take that save, instead of your Battlesuit! Always keep a few Drones near each Battlesuit.

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Dec 11 2017 10:51

Today was the battle. Wow, what a fight. The Knights got a Land Raider (my personal Nemesis) to the fight and not less than 3 Deadknights (all those good “Grand Master” Knights?) A lot of paladins, Draigo, a grand master and voldus. That was a really small force in comparison to mine, but hey. They will bring the pain I feared.

We accepted in fighting with the open war cards. But it hadn’t a great influence in the game. It was a good old “just kill the enemy” mission. Who killed more Power rating won. Probably an advantage, because i hadn’t to leave the comfort zone. But hey, the Knights would advance so fast, no matter the mission was. :D

So wie had divided the table into quarters and he set up first and also had the first turn. Because he had about 5 Power Ratings less than me, he could draw a special card from the open war deck. This card let him reposition his Land Raider after we finished deployment anywhere but not closer than 9” from my models. That meant, that his entire army had deepstrike. Phew.

I deployed a Devilfish on my right and my left flank. In my center two Fire Warrior and one Pathfinder Squads. More at the middle my kroot screen and another Firewarrior and Pathfinder Squad. The Y’vahra was well protected against deepstrike in my center. There shouldn’t be much fire directed towards him.

Because there wasn’t much on the field or in range from my enemy, I tried not to steal the initative. It wouldn’t bring me even a single advantage.

Turn 1:

They are coming. The Paladins jumped forward to the center and smited and shot the hell out of my Striker and Pathfindersquad. I lost both in the forward position.

With combined fire of Paladins, Draigo and the Crusader all my Kroot where obliterated. On my right flank there dropped the Crusader, Draigo and two Knights? On my left flank the third knight, his Warlord (Grand Master) and Voldus, a special Psyker.

With all his shooting and Psy ability’s he managed nearly to destroy my devilfish on both flanks. So he charged both. On the left flank his Grand Master could charge, on the right flank a Knight got the charge. Both Devilfish exploded killing 3 Drones.

His first round was a good one. He could delete a lot of models and position his army to strike in the next turn. I had no chance to escape. So I was in dire need of my reserves.

The two Burning eye commanders dropped on my left flank in the back of the Knight. A Hazardsuit and the Crisis Squad dropped offensively on the left center. R’alai dropped in front of my Striker.

On the right flank my Y’vahra moved forward in front of the enemy Knight. Behind him dropped another Hazardsuit with 4 Drones. My Deathrain Commander with his MP dropped in my backfield on the right.

And then I unleashed hell on the Knights. My Markerlightsupport was amazing. thanks to the new Stratgem I managed to get 5 Markerlights on the right Dreadknight and a lot other targets got at least one markerlight. Speaking from the right flank: in combination from two small Squads Breachers falling out of the destroyed Devilfish, some small arms fire different units and the mighty Y’vahra the first Dreadknight fell. Even with Nova up, the Y’vahra would be enough. But especially the Breachers did a great job. My Deathrain was amazing as he managed to chip off another 7 Wounds from the second Knight on that flank. S7 AP-2 is great.

On the right flank I destroyed the Grand Master. A lot of Drones felt out of the destroyed Devilfish, Striker, Crisis with Ionweapons etc fired and chipped 5 Wounds from him. R’alai then assasinated him with his strong Weapon.

My Fusionblaster Commanders shot both on the Dreadknight on the right flank and anhilated him.

A Hazard wanted revenge for the fallen Striker and Pathfinder and engaged to a Grey Knight Striker squad, killing two.

That was a really good round of shooting. Killing his Warlord and two Knights was great. But how could he answer? Now everything was on the board.

On my left flank I lost the entire Crisis Team with all Drones. Voldus and the Paladins charged them and obliterated. A lot of Drones died too, but I was ok with that. He couldn’t see the Burning Eye Commanders, so something had to die.

In the center the Hazardsuit was charged and lost some Wounds, but still lived.

On the right flank I lost nearly all Breachers and my Y’vahra had to shrug off a lot of fire, but he lived. The Knight could charge my Last Breacher (like Draigo did) but I spared the Overwatch fire from my Y’vahra. So he was a little bit shy and decided to better not charge.

That shouldn’t save him. In my round the Y’vahra moved onwards getting for the kill and destroyed the heavily wounded Knight. Again, it just was enough to kill it.

With combined fire I nearly killed Draigo. Even the fire from R’alai wasn’t enough. But there was the single Breacher hanging there around. He managed to kill Draigo. Crazy...

In the center two advancing squads of Striker Paladins were destroyed through small arms fire. One Commander wanted revenge for the fallen Crisis and melted Voldus.

At this point the Knights were broken. All Knights were destroyed. A good amount of their infantry and all HQ Choices. But they pressed on. The heroic Breacher died through smite. Finally the against him directed fire was too much and the Y’vahra died. A few Drones were destroyed.

In round 3 I could wound the Labd Raider heavily and kill more Striker.

The four round saw my Deathrain Commander dead, some Pathfinders and a Hazardsuit.

My enemy therefore lost more infantry and his Land Raider.

Beginning his 5th Turn with only 3 models left the Knights called it.

Victory for the Tau.

That was a bloody fight. Much casualty’s on both sides. There was nearly no long range fire battles. Everything was fought at close range. But the devastating Tau firepower was too much. I think the problem was, that he couldn’t screen my Commabders sand they dropped where I wanted them

Nevertheless a great battle and thanks to Arka. without your help I don’t know if this win was possible.

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 2500Pts laughs in Y’vhara

Post#9 » Dec 12 2017 02:48

I think the problem the grey knights had, that they couldn’t counter or prevent me from deepstriking in the right spot. In the first Engagement he dropped but could only kill the Devilfish Sand some light infantry and Kroot. He downed a lot of models, but nothing really worth. To the jucy Y’vhara was no way and he was so blocked that he couldn’t fire at him.

In return my specialized troops could land wherever they wanted. This made it possible to destroy 2 Dreadknights in one turn. And even the Grand Master died in the same turn. That was a mighty blow, he couldn’t recover from.

Talking about my units: the Y’vhara is a monster. The damage he puts out is great. I had some poor dice rolls so he performed not in that way he could, but overall it was ok. His more than 400 points could he bring back, in killing 1,5 Dreadknights. But not only punched he out a lot, he managed to survive a lot of fie directed towards him. He had only 4 drones by his side to protect him. If I could managed it, to get more drones on his side, he would survived longer. The Y’vhara is a great model with great capabilities. But he costs with more than 400 points more than enough.

The Fusionblaster Commanders are great too. 4 Fusionblasters is really a lot. Amazing what damage they can pound out. My enemy was at first happy, that I hadn’t brought Steahlthsuits to the fight. But they were not necessary. Even on „long“ range they can be deadly.

The Hazard Suits are good, too. With 4 Burstcannons and the ATS they bring a lot of Firepower on the table. So many shots kill on the long run enough marines. They were fast, and soaked enemy fire and with 5 wounds they could hold the ground. I liked the unit. An additional plus: one Hazardsuit can bring 4 drones. So they are a nice Drone Bumper too.

Talking about drones: I was surprised how good they where. As R‘alai was by them, they were even deadlyier. They should get some support to be effective. Without any, they loose a lot of firepower unfortunately. Nevertheless, I had a lot of small units, so as my enemy fired at them, he had to look, that he not wasted shots. They are better than I thought.

The Crisis Suits are probably a good unit. They couldn’t perform as I wished, and couldn’t bring back their points, but the enemy had to put a lot of effort in them to destroy them. I will try them out in my next, hopefully they can then perform better.

The Deathrain surprised us both. His Rockets could do 7 damage in a single round of shooting to the Dreadknight. After that, he could do Damage on the Raider and Draigo. I liked him.

All the Strikers were not good, but not bad. They fired the whole game and did some damage. The Breacher on the other hand helped to destroy the Dreadknight. This was not their proposed target. I hoped to use them against the normal Marines, but that didn’t happen. But they did well against him. The last Breacher even killed Draigo. So nothing bad to say against them...

The Kroot did, what I bought them for. This time the screen functioned as intended. The enemy had no chance to get to my lines in time. They died fast after the battle started, but I expected nothing from them.

Last but not least R´alai is a good Commander. There was not much fire directed against him. But he could bring the pain at turn 1 with success. He has a really good weapon with deadly accuracy.

So, I hope this helps you guys too.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 2500Pts laughs in Y’vhara

Post#10 » Dec 12 2017 03:54

Chris wrote:Victory for the Tau.

That was a bloody fight. Much casualty’s on both sides. There was nearly no long range fire battles. Everything was fought at close range. But the devastating Tau firepower was too much. I think the problem was, that he couldn’t screen my Commabders sand they dropped where I wanted them

Nevertheless a great battle and thanks to Arka. without your help I don’t know if this win was possible.

I'm really glad you won!! It sounds like a great game. And please, don't give me the credit- the real fight was in your hands and you did a heck of a job! Really, congratulations.

Chris wrote:I think the problem the grey knights had, that they couldn’t counter or prevent me from deepstriking in the right spot. In the first Engagement he dropped but could only kill the Devilfish Sand some light infantry and Kroot. He downed a lot of models, but nothing really worth. To the jucy Y’vhara was no way and he was so blocked that he couldn’t fire at him.

In return my specialized troops could land wherever they wanted. This made it possible to destroy 2 Dreadknights in one turn. And even the Grand Master died in the same turn. That was a mighty blow, he couldn’t recover from.

Sounds like you did the right thing. Right now Tau are all about shock tactics. Hit your enemy hard and up close, if you do enough damage it won't matter that the enemy is near you. Remove their ability to retaliate, and you'll have the tactical initiative.

Chris wrote:The Deathrain surprised us both. His Rockets could do 7 damage in a single round of shooting to the Dreadknight.

By "Deathrain" you mean the Missile Pod Commander? It really is a great unit- a little expensive for what it does, but it's maximum damage is huge- almost as high as the Fusion Commander's maximum damage. With a little luck, a Missile Pod Commander can really hurt light vehicles ans monsters.

Anyway, I'm glad you had a great battle!!

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Need advice for Sudden Death

Post#11 » Dec 15 2017 10:45

@Arka:yeah with Deathrain I meant the Missilecommander.

But the next match stands right in front of the door. Between Christmas and new year I want to play another match, probably against Chaos. Again we want to use the Open War cards. Significant is, we want to use the „Sudden Death“ cards. I don’t now if you are aware of the rules, but I will short explain it. One player has at least the double amount of Power Rating than the other player. Therefore the Player with the small force may draw a Sudden Death card. There are some conditions on it, that, if you reach them, let you win immediately.

To give you a small overview which conditions are possible:

Destroy the charachter, vehicle or monster with the highest wound charachtristics

Starts from the third battleround: if there are no enemy units in your deployment zone

Your warlord must destroy the enemy warlord with any attack

Start from the third battleround: no enemy’s in 9“ from the Centre

If at the end of the 5th battleround are still one model on the field, you won

You must destroy at leas half (rounding up) of the units that you opponent had in their army at the start of the battle.

So, if I look up the victory conditions I need a durable and potentially shooty army. I think the hardest card is, to destroy at least half of the opponents army. The easiest is probably to kill the unit with the most wounds or the enemy warlord. To bring a Fusionsblaster Commander to the fight isn’t a bad idea.

The Y‘vhara is a great model I think, but it’s really expensive, too. Therefore for this special circumstance it’s a bit too many points focused on a unit, that jumps in the heart of an enemy at least double the strength of my own army.

I'm thinking about a Stormsurge. He’s expensive too, but doesn’t rely on jumping into the brawl. He can fire from the back of the table and should survive therefore longer.

A Ghostkeel is probably a good idea, too. Maybe even Stealthsuits. Those guys have some good penalty’s if you want to shoot at them. Maybe it helps to stay a little longer on the table.

Staying on the table is a good point for my next units. I need some troops. Something that’s cheap, something that gives me some bodys on the board. But in my last game, I saw Firewarriors and Pathfinders falter to easyli to enemy fire. Also the Devilfishs got destroyed direct on turn one, I could save the passengers, as the enemy had put too much effort in the Transports.

So I thought about a 70 power level Army.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [48 PL, 1000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [6 PL, 160pts]: 4x Fusion blaster

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [7 PL, 150pts]: Advanced targeting system, High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, Shield generator

+ Troops +

Strike Team [5 PL, 71pts]: DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Missile pod
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle
. 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [5 PL, 71pts]: DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Missile pod
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle
. 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Kroot Carnivores [3 PL, 60pts]: 10x Kroot

Kroot Carnivores [3 PL, 60pts]: 10x Kroot

+ Elites +

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 240pts]: 2x Fusion blaster, Fusion collider, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Shield generator, Target lock

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [6 PL, 148pts]: Homing beacon
. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system: Advanced targeting system, Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Fusion blaster: Fusion blaster, Multi-tracker
. Stealth Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, Burst cannon
. . Markerlight + Target Lock: Markerlight, Target lock

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (T'au Empire) [22 PL, 437pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

KV128 Stormsurge [22 PL, 437pts]: 2x Burst cannon, Advanced targeting system, Cluster rocket system, 4x Destroyer missile, Pulse blastcannon, Shield generator, 2x Smart missile system, Stimulant injector

++ Total: [70 PL, 1437pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

So I have the Stormsurge to soak fire, to deal a lot of damage, to a lot of units and to be a centerpiece of my army.

I have the coldstar and the Commander as a surgery instrument to fit the goals I need to accomplish. Eg. hunting the warlord etc.

Kroot and Firewarriors are bringing some body’s on the table.

And then there is my Ghostkeel and the stealthsuits which are perfect in infiltration and shrugging of enemy fire, due to their hit malus.

The Pathfinders are there just for some markerlight support.

What do you think about this small battleforce? Do you think it can succeed? What would you make different?

Glad to hear your opinion.

Best regards
Chris

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: Need advice for Sudden Death

Post#12 » Dec 15 2017 11:47

In power level games we can actually balance out being "under points" against our enemy by bringing pathfinders with special weapons and by taking crisis suits with big guns. Firewarriors and gun drones(drones in general) are not great for power level games but we still need some for survivability. Try adding a bunch of suits and see where it gets you on PL.

Return to “Cadre Building”