2000-Point Suits and Drones List

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

2000-Point Suits and Drones List

Post#1 » Jun 19 2017 12:48

Here's my starter test list for 8th Edition. C&C Welcome

1986 Points, 104 PL, 5 CP

Vanguard Detachment
HQ
XV86 Coldstar Commander - High-output burst cannon, Missile Pod, ATS, Shield Gen - 7 PL, 150 pts
Commander - 4x Fusion Blasters, 2x Shield Drones - 7 PL, 176 pts

ELITES
XV8 Crisis Team - 3x Crisis Suits, 8x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, 6x Gun Drones - 14 PL, 259 pts
XV8 Crisis Team - 3x Crisis Suits, 8x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, 6x Gun Drones - 14 PL, 259 pts
XV25 Stealth Team - 3x Stealth Suits, Fusion Blaster, Drone Controller - 6 PL, 106 pts
XV25 Stealth Team - 3x Stealth Suits, Fusion Blaster, Drone Controller - 6 PL, 106 pts
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit - Cyclin Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, TL, ATS, 2x Stealth Drones - 10 PL, 181 pts
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit - Cyclin Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, TL, ATS, 2x Stealth Drones - 10 PL, 181 pts

Outrider Detachment
HQ

FAST ATTACK
Tactical Drones - 6x Gun Drones - 4 PL, 48 pts
Tactical Drones - 6x Marker Drones - 4 PL, 60 pts
Tactical Drones - 6x Marker Drones - 4 PL, 60 pts

The idea here is to use the Crisis Teams and attached Gun Drones to deliver pin-point Manta Strike attacks, hopefully at inconvient locations, in cover, and at maximum stand off range. Each Crisis Team module delivers a salvo of 56 18", BS4+, S5 shots. Stealth Teams and the Tactical Drone units move together to act as the build's anchor. Ghostkeels act as tanky distractions while also providing a decent volume of fire for their cost. The Fusion Commanders Manta Strike at 18" from their targets and hopefully get at least two turns of shooting before being whittled down.

The name of the game is placement, using Manta Strikes and LoS-blocking terrain to get the fire lanes we want while denying our opponent the ones they want. The big weaknesses I see are refused flank castling and massed counter deep strikes. Not entirely sure how I feel about the single Coldstar Commander, but it does seem nice to have at list a little rapid response. 14 points left to play around with.

Thoughts?

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 2000-Point Suits and Drones List

Post#2 » Jun 25 2017 04:21

Some adjustments to the above list:

1995 Points, 109 PL, 5 CP

Vanguard Detachment
HQ
XV86 Coldstar Commander - High-output burst cannon, Missile Pod, ATS, Shield Gen - 7 PL, 150 pts
Commander - 4x Fusion Blasters, Shield Drone, Marker Drone - 7 PL, 178 pts

ELITES
XV9 Hazard Team - 2x Double-Barreled Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, 4x Gun Drones - 130 pts
XV9 Hazard Team - 2x Double-Barreled Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, 4x Gun Drones - 130 pts

FAST ATTACK
Tactical Drones - 7x Marker Drones - 4 PL, 70 pts

Vanguard Detachment
HQ

ELITES
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit - Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, TL, ATS, 2x Stealth Drones - 10 PL, 181 pts
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit - Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, TL, ATS, 2x Stealth Drones - 10 PL, 181 pts

FAST ATTACK

Justification:

I like the previous list, but now that we have Forgeworld rules, I think that three XV9 Monats with four Gun Drones are more points-efficient than two XV8 Teams of three with six Gun Drones. This left some points over to fit in something else, so, after shuffling around my Drones, I elected for another Ghostkeel. I'm considering dropping two Marker Drones from the Tactical Drone squad to upgrade the Ghostkeel to a Fusion Collider and Fusion Blasters, but I'm not certain yet.

Crimzzen
Shas

Post#3 » Jun 26 2017 12:22

I dig the list style, I'm working on something with 5 ghostkeels actually! Why the gun drones? I love the drone models but I'm not sure I dig the rules, needing 5s to hit is kinda rough no?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jun 26 2017 12:33

Crimzzen wrote:I dig the list style, I'm working on something with 5 ghostkeels actually! Why the gun drones? I love the drone models but I'm not sure I dig the rules, needing 5s to hit is kinda rough no?

Gun Drones are actually one of the strongest units in 8th Edition Tau. 4 shots at BS5+ is actually more accurate than 2 shots at BS4+ (the BS of a Fire Warrior), plus they can soak wounds for Battlesuits and Infantry, they're T4 not T3, their BS can be upgraded by a Drone Controller, they have Fly, they have an 8" move, and above all they cost just 8pts each. That's amazing value for points. Use Gun Drones primarily for screening gunlines (they're better than Kroot at this), accompanying Battlesuits, and area-denial for enemy deep strikes.

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jun 26 2017 12:49

Crimzzen wrote:I dig the list style, I'm working on something with 5 ghostkeels actually! Why the gun drones? I love the drone models but I'm not sure I dig the rules, needing 5s to hit is kinda rough no?

Gun Drones have an insane damage profile for an 8-point model. While BS 5+ is concerning, there are 5 models in the list with Drone Controllers, which increase nearby Drones to a 4+. Three of those models are Hazard Suits that will each have four Gun Drones deployed with them when they Manta Strike. The other two models with Drone Controllers are the Stealth Shas'vre. While there is counter-synergy between their Infiltration ability and the Drones which must deploy in accordance to normal deployment, I'm planning on holding them back closer and not sticking their necks out too far.

Crimzzen
Shas

Post#6 » Jun 26 2017 12:52

relasine wrote:

Gun Drones have an insane damage profile for an 8-point model. While BS 5+ is concerning, there are 5 models in the list with Drone Controllers, which increase nearby Drones to a 4+. Three of those models are Hazard Suits that will each have four Gun Drones deployed with them when they Manta Strike. The other two models with Drone Controllers are the Stealth Shas'vre. While there is counter-synergy between their Infiltration ability and the Drones which must deploy in accordance to normal deployment, I'm planning on holding them back closer and not sticking their necks out too far.

Oh good call on running them with stealth suits and a drone controller, had not thought about that! Ok, I'm gonna take a look at my list. I've always loved the look of drones.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jun 26 2017 12:55

relasine wrote:While there is counter-synergy between their Infiltration ability and the Drones which must deploy in accordance to normal deployment, I'm planning on holding them back closer and not sticking their necks out too far.

This is very important when deploying stealthsuits! Don't think of them as interdiction suits or risk-takers; rather have them pressure a flank and force the enemy to direct fire or attention in their direction. They can take a hit but they can't stray too close to enemy lines. They can buff drones too, which can keep them alive and add to their firepower!

Return to “Cadre Building”