Tau 8th Edition - 1500 Points

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Crunchy_Monk
Shas

Tau 8th Edition - 1500 Points

Post#1 » Jun 19 2017 05:09

Good Evening.

It has been a long time since I have posted. Master's program has been keeping me busy. One more year left. I guess my inactivity for so long has caused me to lose rank as well.

So I have been reading through the data sheets, and the rules, and it seems to me that 8th edition seems to lend itself to some older tactics, like Fish of Fury, to some extent. I could be wrong, but I also have not been able to play test the new rules yet. Time will tell.

This is the list I have been kicking around for the last couple days. If those with actual experience in the new meta could pitch in some ideas based on experience, that would be helpful.

Also, it is my understanding that the hammerhead cost includes the rail head? Is this accurate now?

33rd‘La Mechanized Infantry - “Dune Raiders”

HQ

Commander Shadowsun
Fireblade

Elites
3 XV-25 Stealth Suits
1 Melta, Markerlight, Target Lock

3 XV-25 Stealth Suits
1 Melta, Markerlight, Target Lock

Ghost Keel - Fusion Collider, Fusion, Target Lock

Troops

10 Firewarriors + Devilfish

10 Firewarriors + Devilfish

10 Firewarriors

Fast Attack
7 Pathfinders
7 Pathfinders

Heavy Support

Longstrike
Hammerhead Tank
Hammerhead Tank

Army Total == 1500
Aur'ocq shath'r'i tskan sha Tau'va

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau 8th Edition - 1500 Points

Post#2 » Jun 19 2017 05:41

Unless my understanding is off, no, the hammerhead does not include the cost of the railhead. You have to spend points on the chassis and the armament separately.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas

Post#3 » Jun 19 2017 06:45

Then it is written poorly in the book, Because the entry says includes railgun. Is there something somewhere else that says one must pay for the armaments on vehicles?

Arka0415
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 19 2017 07:58

Crunchy_Monk wrote:Then it is written poorly in the book, Because the entry says includes railgun. Is there something somewhere else that says one must pay for the armaments on vehicles?

The points cost are just for the base/hull/body/chassis of the unit. You must pay for every single piece of wargear, down to the last Burst Cannon. This means that a Hammerhead will cost around 171 points with a Railgun and two Gun Drones.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas

Post#5 » Jun 19 2017 08:32

Hmm. I guess I missed a rule somewhere? This is greatly disappointing. This also makes certain units to appear ridiculously expensive.

Then I suppose I will have to revert to my old strategy of using a unit of broadsides as a pivot anchor for the rest of my army. Is there a reason that transports in general or so much more expensive now?

Crunchy_Monk
Shas

Post#6 » Jun 19 2017 08:44

So, wait....does this mean a stock Devilfish is 127 points, if I am understanding how this works correctly?

JustGreg
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jun 19 2017 08:55

Crunchy_Monk wrote:So, wait....does this mean a stock Devilfish is 127 points, if I am understanding how this works correctly?

Vehicles across the board became more expensive, I assume its a balancing thing, trying to move the edition away from 10 rhino armies etc.

In the case of your devilfish, you pay for the chasis + 2 gundrones + burst cannon, which is indeed 127 points stock.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas

Post#8 » Jun 19 2017 09:04

Holy cow. Well, there goes my hopes. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Not having played any games this edition yet, does this make vehicles more powerful due to the rarity we may see them? This almost seems like horde armies will be stronger this edition as a result.

JustGreg
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 19 2017 09:49

Crunchy_Monk wrote:Holy cow. Well, there goes my hopes. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Not having played any games this edition yet, does this make vehicles more powerful due to the rarity we may see them? This almost seems like horde armies will be stronger this edition as a result.

Vehicles are far more durable thanks to having wounds and saves (no more lucky 6 -> explodes) so in that sense they're way stronger versus most fire, but still die hard to multi-damage and high AP weaponry (as they should).

Hordes are definitely stronger as infantry are now comparatively even cheaper.

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El

Post#10 » Jun 19 2017 11:22

At the back of the index where it has the points values, it says to pay for both the model and its wargear. Some things, like infantry pulse weapons, are free. But the rule you are looking for is at the top of the page, above the main table for units.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Return to “Cadre Building”