[ATT Recommended] 500pt list help

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [ATT Recommended] 500pt list help

Post#145 » Oct 29 2017 06:45

Panzer wrote:Yeah but especially the Miniwargaming batreps with T'au in 8th edition are meh. The lists are beyond unoptimized. Not really good batreps to watch if one wants to learn about how T'au are doing currently.

I remember when I used to watch MWG videos to learn tactics and gameplay. Now I turn them on for white noise while I paint...

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#146 » Oct 29 2017 06:48

I only really watch the ones with Quirk or Dave because they are super casual and with great banter. But yeah usually only for background noise when I'm painting or doing other stuff where I don't have to look at the screen.

stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Post#147 » Oct 29 2017 08:03

Even as a total newbie, I could tell that the MWG bartreps are unoptimized and generally played by people who don’t main their respective army in that game.

I stopped watching the Tau ones a few days ago and have been watching Nids, Astra Militarum, Death Guard and the likes to get a feel for how races generally go about playing. Even with under-par lists, you can tell that, for example, Nids will generally look to swarm enemies in melee while protecting themselves with warp abilities, AM has loads and loads of dakka, etc.

But I digress.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will look at the links you provided!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#148 » Nov 01 2017 07:53

Interesting feedback on the Battle Report videos for small list games. As I collect Tau content for the ATT-TV Youtube channel, I'll keep this in mind. :)

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#149 » Nov 22 2017 05:15

stayhandsome wrote:This thread is great. I’m in a similar boat where my friends and I are starting with 500 points as the break point to start playing.

To the Op:

I noticed you switched from Coldstar to 4x Fusion. How did you feel like the new setup worked out for you?

Wow, I missed the notice that this thread was live again. Apologies!

I switched back to Coldstar. Quad Fusion was kind of squishy and all-in. I use special weapons options on Pathfinders to take out armored/tough targets, and use the Coldstar's mobility to really mess with people. Screaming across the board to fight a character, grab an objective, or shred infantry is really fun.

I always take shield generator (since the mobility leaves drones in the dust) and ATS (-1AP in both shooting and melee is great). In the low points games there's not a lot that needs nuking right away. Just be sure to protect those Pathfinders!

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#150 » Nov 29 2017 12:59

Flipping through the Index last night, I noticed it says that Commanders can takr any weapon from the Ranged Weapons list, which includes Rail Rifles from Pathfinder teams and a slew of other options. Am I reading that right? Those options don't show up in Battlescribe.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#151 » Nov 29 2017 03:57

Impulse wrote:Flipping through the Index last night, I noticed it says that Commanders can takr any weapon from the Ranged Weapons list, which includes Rail Rifles from Pathfinder teams and a slew of other options. Am I reading that right? Those options don't show up in Battlescribe.

Ranged weapon list is on page 49 of index, and no, obviously it doesn't include pathfinder weapons

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#152 » Nov 30 2017 12:03

Beerson wrote:
Impulse wrote:Flipping through the Index last night, I noticed it says that Commanders can takr any weapon from the Ranged Weapons list, which includes Rail Rifles from Pathfinder teams and a slew of other options. Am I reading that right? Those options don't show up in Battlescribe.

Ranged weapon list is on page 49 of index, and no, obviously it doesn't include pathfinder weapons

It's not obvious; the Index has two places with the same title, and units do not specify which page they use. Thanks for the condescending reply!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#153 » Nov 30 2017 01:08

Impulse wrote:It's not obvious; the Index has two places with the same title, and units do not specify which page they use. Thanks for the condescending reply!

Don't worry, it's certainly confusing. I think most of us made that mistake when we first opened the Index! :D

Anyway, you're right- units don't specify which list they take their weapons from. However, on page 49, there's a block of text that reads:

Many of the units you will find on the following pages reference one or both of the following lists (e.g. Ranged Weapons). When this is the case, the unit may take any item from the appropriate list below. The rules for the items in these lists can be found in the appendix (pg.136-137).

While there are two lists called "Ranged Weapons," whenever a Datasheet makes mention of a list, it's indicating the list on page 49 and not the one on pages 136-137.

So, there is a little method to GW's madness, though it is certainly confusing. Hope that helps!

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#154 » Nov 30 2017 08:25

Thanks, you always help me out, and with 0% rotten attitude. Like, of course I didn't think that you could load a commander up with 4x giant pew pew like Broadsides carry. Just needed help finding that table I skipped over every single time I opened the index.

Next: how many points is the Puretide Chip, and how do relics work in general? Also, of the two new Warlord Traits in Chapter Approved, Montka is good for Coldstar, and Kauyon for plain flavor Commanders right?

I took a break from 40k until CA, but now I have a Ghostkeel (so if you have some fun builds please share) in the mail and am excited to get back in!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#155 » Nov 30 2017 08:57

Impulse wrote:Thanks, you always help me out, and with 0% rotten attitude.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Impulse wrote:Next: how many points is the Puretide Chip, and how do relics work in general?

The "Puretide Engram Neurochip" isn't actually an upgrade- as a relic, you get one for free just for being a Battleforged Army (i.e. all of your units are in Detachments). We Tau have only one Relic, as we have no Codex yet, so all armies get the Neuropchip automatically, and for free! You only get one of it though. The Neurochip can be given to any character that is not a named character. So, generic characters like Commanders and Fireblades could get it. However, charaters like Shadowsun and Longstrike cannot. Remember though that Aun'va's Ethereal Honor Guard aren't named so you could sneak it on there :D

Impulse wrote:Also, of the two new Warlord Traits in Chapter Approved, Montka is good for Coldstar, and Kauyon for plain flavor Commanders right?

The two new Traits are a bit lackluster, but they do have their uses. Mont'ka is good on anybody that likes to move- Longstrike, Commanders, Coldstar Commanders, and Fireblades (mobile Markerlight!) are great picks. Kauyon is... less useful. We Tau like moving, so you're not likely to use it. Missile Pod Commanders could make use of it, Longstrike could make use of it (to increase his accuracy once he has taken wounds, for example), but otherwise it's not very good.

Impulse wrote:Now I have a Ghostkeel (so if you have some fun builds please share) in the mail and am excited to get back in!

Sounds fun! If you want a infantry-killing skirmisher, go with CIR + 2x Burst Cannons. If you want a unit that can (somewhat) take the place of a Fusion Commander, try the Fusion Collider + 2x FB. Also note that the Ghostkeel gets a ton more powerful when you get 5 Markerlight hits, so definitely keep the cool new Stratagem in mind!!

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#156 » Dec 07 2017 09:10

So the Ghostkeel came today. I noticed it has 2 Stealth Drones. Is that so that if one gets killed there's a spare? Or is their bonus cumulative?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#157 » Dec 07 2017 09:27

Impulse wrote:So the Ghostkeel came today. I noticed it has 2 Stealth Drones. Is that so that if one gets killed there's a spare? Or is their bonus cumulative?

It's so there's a spare. Also, Tau units tend to take two Drones per model, so it makes sense from the "flavor" perspective too!

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#158 » Dec 08 2017 11:14

If that's the case, then why do Stealth Suits only come with one?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#159 » Dec 08 2017 11:19

Impulse wrote:If that's the case, then why do Stealth Suits only come with one?

Ha, good question. Stealthsuits can take up to two Drones in the rules. However, Stealthsuits and Commanders (both of which can take up to two Drones) both include only one Drone in the set- I assume the sprue wasn't big enough to include two.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#160 » Dec 10 2017 02:39

T'au don't have a warp presence. Neither do the Sisters of Silence. The Sisters have some anti-psychic rules, and we get to stand there and get bonked. Why?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#161 » Dec 10 2017 06:55

Impulse wrote:T'au don't have a warp presence. Neither do the Sisters of Silence. The Sisters have some anti-psychic rules, and we get to stand there and get bonked. Why?

The Tau and the Sisters of Silence are very different. Sisters of Silence are "blanks" or "nulls", they not only have a negative warp signature but they also don't have souls, their very presence causes psykers physical pain and discomfort, their abilities are honed and amplified with powerful bionics and weapons. They even inspire fear and dread among non-pskers. Sisters of Silence are literally untouchable by psyker powers and warp effects, and daemons begin to unbind from reality just by being near a Sister.

Tau, on the other hand, simply have a weak warp presence. Tau don't "shine" as brightly in the warp, daemons don't quite care as much to consume Tau souls, and psykers that interact with Tau find that they don't register the same as humans do.

Let's assume Humans have a "warp presence" factor of 10. Tau might be 3, Sisters of Silence would be something like -100!

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#162 » Dec 11 2017 01:34

Can you post a primary source for the T'au warp presense?

Return to “Cadre Building”