[ATT Recommended] 500pt list help

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: [ATT Recommended] 500pt list help

Post#163 » Dec 12 2017 09:45

Impulse wrote:Can you post a primary source for the T'au warp presense?

I'm afraid my memory isn't good enough to give you an exact source, and I don't have the old Tau codex on me anymore... however, if you want sources on Tau and the Warp, feel free to ask in the Library!

viewforum.php?f=5

I'm sure the loremasters would be happy to help! :biggrin:

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#164 » Dec 12 2017 12:45

Impulse wrote:Can you post a primary source for the T'au warp presense?

Primary source would be one of the tau novels, I think its fire warrior but not sure, where one of the fire warriors gets partly possesed by a deamon for a short period

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#165 » Dec 12 2017 05:33

Can you help me get my head around how a Homing Beacon works? I can't seem to envision situations where it is useful, yet people say it is.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#166 » Dec 12 2017 06:46

Impulse wrote:Can you help me get my head around how a Homing Beacon works? I can't seem to envision situations where it is useful, yet people say it is.

There are two scenarios where the Homing Beacon is useful for Fusion Commanders. Imagine you're playing against an Imperial Guard army, and there's a Leman Russ you want to kill with your Fusion Commander in Manta Strike reserve.

1. The Leman Russ is out in the open, and is on full wounds. You drop the Homing Beacon near it, and your Fusion Commander drops in within 9" of the Leman Russ. Now, as you're within half range, your Fusion Commander will deal more damage.

2. The Leman Russ is bubble-wrapped by Guardsmen. The Guardsmen are 9" from the tank, so even if you Manta Strike 9" away from the Guardsmen you'll be more than 18" from the Leman Russ, and thus you will be out of range. You drop the Homing Beacon close to the Guardsmen, and Manta Strike as close as you can to the Leman Russ, in a position that would otherwise have been illegal. Your Fusion Commander may not be within half range, but it will definitely be close enough to shoot the Leman Russ.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#167 » Dec 12 2017 07:09

So the Homing Beacon overrides other restrictions on Manta Strikes? I did not interpret it that way at all.

What about for Coldstar builds?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#168 » Dec 12 2017 07:43

Impulse wrote:So the Homing Beacon overrides other restrictions on Manta Strikes? I did not interpret it that way at all.

I think my previous post was a little unclear. If you use a Homing Beacon, none of the rules for Manta Strike apply, at all. You just set up the squad within 6" of the Homing Beacon, no restrictions at all.

Impulse wrote:What about for Coldstar builds?

For what I've seen, there are two good Coldstar builds:

- ATS & Shield Generator: The classic loadout that offers increased firepower and durability for a solo Coldstar.
- ATS & Drone Controller: This allows the Coldstar to support drones in different locations.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#169 » Dec 12 2017 08:23

No no, I meant that you only considered Fusion Commanders in your Homing Beacon scenarios, and I was asking about other types of commanders interactions as well.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#170 » Dec 12 2017 09:16

Impulse wrote:No no, I meant that you only considered Fusion Commanders in your Homing Beacon scenarios, and I was asking about other types of commanders interactions as well.

Well, there aren't too many. Homing Beacons allow you do do up to three things:

1. Shoot with weapons that have <9" range (such as Fusion Blasters and Flamers)
2. Set up in areas where it would otherwise be impossible (i.e. if the enemy has extremely effective bubble-wrapping)
3. Charge after arriving from reserves (which is a situational perk at best)

So, Commanders with Fusion Blasters can make use of #1. XV8s with Fusion Blasters and/or Flamers can also make use of #1. Commanders with Fusion Blasters and/or Cyclic Ion Blasters can make use of #2.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#171 » Dec 13 2017 02:32

Just a litle note, homing beacon + QFC is our primary way of dealing with wehicles/monsters, often allowing us to remove the big threats turn one, and I'say the most used tactic among all tau players currently

It can be also used to get flamer crisis to an objective they would not reach normaly, giving you a tactical edge

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#172 » Dec 13 2017 03:12

Beerson wrote:Just a litle note, homing beacon + QFC is our primary way of dealing with wehicles/monsters, often allowing us to remove the big threats turn one, and I'say the most used tactic among all tau players currently

True, yeah. Fusion Commanders are "the thing" to do with Homing Beacons, everything else is secondary.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#173 » Dec 13 2017 09:01

Arka0415 wrote:
Beerson wrote:Just a litle note, homing beacon + QFC is our primary way of dealing with wehicles/monsters, often allowing us to remove the big threats turn one, and I'say the most used tactic among all tau players currently

True, yeah. Fusion Commanders are "the thing" to do with Homing Beacons, everything else is secondary.

I think Crisis Flamers would be #1, #2 Fusion Commanders as they still have a good potential in the >9-18" bracket, while Flamers are useless if they stay out of 8".. only other way is moving/advancing them up, though the Homing beacon is a more sure way to get them where you want them.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#174 » Dec 13 2017 12:34

StealthKnightSteg wrote:I think Crisis Flamers would be #1, #2 Fusion Commanders as they still have a good potential in the >9-18" bracket, while Flamers are useless if they stay out of 8".. only other way is moving/advancing them up, though the Homing beacon is a more sure way to get them where you want them.

I have to disagree here as statistically most of our opponents are marines of some kind and even if not unless you are dealing with horde armies dropping flamers to remove threats turn one isn't going to be your priority over fusion targets

It might be viable if you chose to go for fusion crisis with +1BS and reroll 1's though

AenarIT
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#175 » Dec 17 2017 05:22

I'll add to this discussion posting four lists I prepared for 500 point games. Nothing super duper competitive, but I'm curious to hear some comments.

List 1

Battalion Detachment - 498 points
Cadre Fireblade
Commander [3x Cyclic Ion Blaster, Advanced Targeting System]
5 FW Strike Team
5 FW Strike Team
5 FW Strike Team
5 Pathfinders [Pulse Accelerator Drone]
5 Vespids
5 Vespids

List 2
Battalion Detachment - 497 points