[ATT Recommended] 500pt list help

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 500pt list help

Post#55 » Jul 18 2017 10:23

Impulse wrote:Gotcha. I keep forgetting you can shoot AND charge.

Exactly! You can shoot and charge, but you can't fall back and charge. So, keep the initiative by forcing your opponent to fall back wherever you can. Of course, this is achieved by charging, and you should be very careful about what units you charge into! Of course, Kroot can charge into Khorne Berzerkers to tie them up, but... just keeping your distance and shooting might be the best course of action when faced with such a deadly adversary as Khorne Berzerkers.

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#56 » Jul 18 2017 10:24

Yes. Be smart about who you tie up. Also remember battleshock.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#57 » Jul 18 2017 10:28

I don't have any melee people anyway, so this is sort of a thought exercise.

Speaking of, are there any Tau units that fight better than schoolchildren with rulers?

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#58 » Jul 18 2017 10:38

Farsight, and also riptide. Riptide actually held its own against 5 space wolf bikers and a rune priest in combat. Most of our stuff can at least tie stuff down. Commanders in general, especially with ATS, which applies to cc attacks, are also good.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#59 » Jul 19 2017 01:58

Impulse wrote:I don't have any melee people anyway, so this is sort of a thought exercise.

Speaking of, are there any Tau units that fight better than schoolchildren with rulers?

As SniperTau mentioned, Farsight is the best followed by the Riptide (just because it's durable), and Commanders w/ ATS aren't bad either.

If you want decent melee though, Kroot are actually fantastic attackers. With WS3+ and S4, they hit with the full power of a Space Marine. However, they lack any form of meaningful durability, so they're very glass cannon-y.

At the end of the day though, while we have some decent close-combat units, we have no tactical ability to use close combat. We can tie up enemies in the Charge phase and fire Overwatch really well, but the actual striking of blows in the Fight phase has no (positive) tactical value for us.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#60 » Jul 19 2017 02:24

Crisis, especially with Drones nearby, are very good to tie stuff down as well.

And to the Riptide holding out against Biker...lets be fair, Biker aren't very good in 8th anyway. :D

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#61 » Jul 19 2017 12:58

Ok here's the list I'm taking tonight:

HQ - Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit: 150pts
High-output burst cannon; Missile pod; ATS; Shield

Troops - Strike Team: 144
Shas'ui; 8xFire Warriors w/Rifles (2 Units)

Elites - XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: 101pts
Stealth Shas'vre w/ Fusion Blaster; 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/Burst cannon

Fast Attack - Pathfinder Team, Tactical Drones 104pts
3x Pathfinder w/Markerlights; Shas'ui w/pistol and markerlight; 2x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle

4x Gun Drone; 2x Shield Drone

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#62 » Jul 19 2017 02:36

Seems relatively balanced, although there seems to be not much anti-vehicle.
Good luck.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#63 » Jul 19 2017 03:07

SniperTau wrote:Seems relatively balanced, although there seems to be not much anti-vehicle.
Good luck.

For real? You don't think the 2 Ion Rifles, Fusion Cannon and Missiles are enough at 500pts?

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#64 » Jul 19 2017 03:21

True. My mind is still somewhere back in 7th edition :P

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#65 » Jul 19 2017 03:29

Even in 7th that would've been more than enough. Actually in 7th you didn't really need any dedicated anti-tank weaponry below 1k points.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#66 » Jul 19 2017 03:32

How soft am I to flying units, or should I not even worry?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#67 » Jul 19 2017 03:38

You shouldn't worry too much about a 500p list. It's impossible to have an answer for everything with so few points. If you take something against tanks, the enemy can swarm you with cheap hordes. If you take something against hordes the enemy can overwhelm you with a Landraider. If you try to take something against both you won't be able to deal properly with any extreme.
Then there are the possibilities of the enemy taking a shooty list or a melee list or a tough airbourne unit, etc. etc. etc.

I think your list is fine as it is for 500p. Definitely not weak. Just go ahead and play with it a bit to get a feel for your list and your opponents armies. The real list building begins at 1k points. ;)

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#68 » Jul 19 2017 03:39

You are probably not even going to face
a flyer. Don't worry about it. Flyers are easier to hit than in 7th and we really have no dedicated AA anyway.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#69 » Jul 19 2017 03:49

SniperTau wrote: we really have no dedicated AA anyway.

...what?
May I introduce you to literally any Battlesuit with Velocity Tracker? Also the Coldstar is actually meant to be a suit dedicated to fight flyer fluff-wise as well.
Kinda a shame the Skyray lost his AA capabilities, but with how Seeker Missiles work it wouldn't be able to do the job that well anyway.

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#70 » Jul 19 2017 03:51

VT is an optional support system. I meant we have nothing like the AM hydra flak tank or a similar AA platform.

We have AA options, but nothing completely dedicated to AA. That's what I meant.

Sorry for confusion. :D

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#71 » Jul 19 2017 04:03

Since it's an option for so many units, basically all of those can be dedicated AA units if you decide to. No need for a unit designed for just that one task if multiple of ours can do it. ;)

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#72 » Jul 19 2017 04:11

Don't know why, but that bugs me. :D
I'll leave this friendly debate for now to sketch a new AA unit :P

Return to “Cadre Building”