[ATT Recommended] 500pt list help

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [ATT Recommended] 500pt list help

Post#109 » Jul 25 2017 12:27

Panzer wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:
Panzer wrote:That's the problem. The term "shot" gets used only a few times in the rules and sometimes for attacks and sometimes for the whole shooting sequence of a weapon. Although it's more often used in place of attack and this way the Fireblade works like it used to work in 7th so I'm rather sure that's the right interpretation.

Which interpretation do you go with? Frankly I might just go with whichever you think is best; I've played 4th-6th but not 7th edition.

Shot = Attack is what I meant.

Ah, I thought you meant an interpretation on how many extra S5 shots the Fireblade gives. If shot = attack though, then Fire Warriors would get 3 S5 shots within rapid-fire range?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#110 » Jul 25 2017 12:34

Exactly.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#111 » Jul 25 2017 01:38

Panzer wrote:Exactly.

Gotcha, that's what I was thinking too.

Anyway, I think this thread got a little off-track :D

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#112 » Jul 26 2017 01:25

So now I'm really interested in how Shield Drones fit in to things. For starters, I'm considering ditching the blob of Gun Drones and just jamming 2x Shield Drones with my Commander, Steath Suits and Pathfinders.

Is this good? Stupid? Why or why not? What did I miss?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#113 » Jul 26 2017 01:30

Impulse wrote:So now I'm really interested in how Shield Drones fit in to things. For starters, I'm considering ditching the blob of Gun Drones and just jamming 2x Shield Drones with my Commander, Steath Suits and Pathfinders.

I only put pairs of Drones on the field if they come in with something using Manta Strike. Tau armies don't often go first (too many drops) so I don't like to give up First Blood so easily with a pair of Drones. On Manta Strike Commanders, then certainly Shield Drones are worth it. But on Stealthsuits... I feel like they'll just get shot off during your enemy's turn. I'd keep your list as-is. If you want to change the Gun Drone unit, give your Commander 2x Shield Drones and add one more Fire Warrior to each Strike Team.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#114 » Jul 26 2017 01:37

I'm currently fielding six drones, so if I give two to to the Commander and add two fire warriors there are still two drones left.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#115 » Jul 26 2017 02:11

Shield Drones are good but only if you really need that much protection. In a 500p allcomers list I'd stick with Gun Drones for obvious reasons.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#116 » Jul 26 2017 08:37

Impulse wrote:I'm currently fielding six drones, so if I give two to to the Commander and add two fire warriors there are still two drones left.

Oh right, we updated the list. The 6x Gun Drone team is actually pretty viable. At 500 points it'll be a good unit, and I doubt the Commander can be killed in a single turn anyway, this being a 500-point list. Just be sure to give them Tenacious Survivor.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#117 » Jul 26 2017 01:42

What's a good way to take advantage of the Infiltration deployment rule for Stealth Battlesuits?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#118 » Jul 26 2017 02:13

Impulse wrote:What's a good way to take advantage of the Infiltration deployment rule for Stealth Battlesuits?

Give them a Homing beacon and then Flamer Crisis, Fusion Blaster Commander (to get into melta range) or just any deep striking unit when you want to charge a nearby unit the turn they arrive so the enemy has to fall back to shoot at them.

Without Homing beachon just place then anywhere midfield (best in cover since they are infantry) to deny reserves over an even bigger area.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#119 » Jul 27 2017 11:08

Victory again, but it didn't feel like one.

I was up against Chaos Daemons; The Changeling, 10 Pink Horrors, 3 Flamers, 3 Screamers and 2 Plague Beasts (plus points for Blue and Brimstone Horrors).

I couldn't hit sand falling off a camel, and those saves were impossible to get through. My opponenet hadn't bothered to read the rulebook before playing, and also decided victory points were stupid. So when turn 5 ended and I rolled a 2, I won with 5 VP.

3 gun drones, 9 Fire Warriors, 1 Pathfinder and my Commander were all alive, having managed to wipe everything but the Pink Horrors. Opponent exposed The Changeling on turn 5 for some reason, and never summoned those reinforcements.

At any rate, two Shield Drones with the commander did work, but only having 4 Gun Drones hurt (especially when they only hit on a 6). So basically it felt like against any other opponent I would have lost bigtime.

Edit: the tl:dr is how do we deal mortal wounds/get around Invulnerable saves and Disgusting Resiliency?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#120 » Jul 27 2017 10:44

Impulse wrote:only having 4 Gun Drones hurt (especially when they only hit on a 6).

Why were they hitting on 6s? Did the enemy have some ability that made them innacurate?

Impulse wrote:how do we deal mortal wounds/get around Invulnerable saves and Disgusting Resiliency?

The only way is to avoid using powerful guns (really points-inefficient to shoot a Fusion Blaster at 4++/5+++) on Invulnerable Saves / Disgusting Resiliency, and instead just shower them in S5 firepower. Fire Warriors, Stealtsuits, and Gun Drones are great against Daemons.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#121 » Jul 27 2017 11:14

Arka0415 wrote:
Impulse wrote:how do we deal mortal wounds/get around Invulnerable saves and Disgusting Resiliency?

The only way is to avoid using powerful guns (really points-inefficient to shoot a Fusion Blaster at 4++/5+++) on Invulnerable Saves / Disgusting Resiliency, and instead just shower them in S5 firepower. Fire Warriors, Stealtsuits, and Gun Drones are great against Daemons.

^ this
Except that I'd say shoot with S7 weapons at T5 models instead of S5....unless it's a gunline with a ton of Gun Drones. :P

The other way would be to spam(!) Seeker Missiles since they cost only 5p, however they are pretty inaccurate (don't need a to-wound roll though) or use the Sun Shark.
Also Disgustingly Resilient doesn't care about those either. FnP like effects can get used against any form of damage. Even Mortal wounds.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#122 » Jul 28 2017 12:41

Panzer wrote:I'd say shoot with S7 weapons at T5 models instead of S5....unless it's a gunline with a ton of Gun Drones. :P

True, if you can get enough of it. Also, I'd mention that XV9s w/ Double-Barreled Burst Cannons are positively savage versus anything with 4++ or worse.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#123 » Jul 28 2017 07:13

The Changeling causes all Tzeentch Daemon units less than 9in away to force you to subtract 1 from your to-hit rolls. And bird perverts get +1 to their invulnerable saves on top of that just for being themselves.

It was rough.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#124 » Jul 28 2017 07:29

Impulse wrote:The Changeling causes all Tzeentch Daemon units less than 9in away to force you to subtract 1 from your to-hit rolls. And bird perverts get +1 to their invulnerable saves on top of that just for being themselves.

It was rough.

Yikes. Yeah, Tau (also Imperial Guard) really suffer when confronted with those -1 to hit modifiers, especially Drones. Not a whole lot you can do there- can't shoot the Changeling as he's a Character... I guess you'd just need to focus fire, a lot.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#125 » Jul 28 2017 07:38

Arka0415 wrote:
Impulse wrote:The Changeling causes all Tzeentch Daemon units less than 9in away to force you to subtract 1 from your to-hit rolls. And bird perverts get +1 to their invulnerable saves on top of that just for being themselves.

It was rough.

Yikes. Yeah, Tau (also Imperial Guard) really suffer when confronted with those -1 to hit modifiers, especially Drones. Not a whole lot you can do there- can't shoot the Changeling as he's a Character... I guess you'd just need to focus fire, a lot.

Just you wait until you play with the Night Fight Battlezone rules.
0-12" = No penalty
12"-24" = -1 to-hit
24"-36" = -2 to-hit
36"+ = -3 to-hit

This is like the opposite of fun for T'au....but hey for just 1CP you can select an enemy unit that doesn't benefit from Night Fight this turn, so focus fire away! :D

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#126 » Jul 28 2017 08:22

My inexperience bit me this game too. Deployment and unit positioning were as much a problem as the enemy. In retrospect, I should have formed a mosh pit in one corner and just lit up a single enemy unit each turn. Is starting with the Pink Horrors a good idea?

Also, can characters hang out in the middle of a unit?

Return to “Cadre Building”