[ATT Recommended] 500pt list help

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 500pt list help

Post#73 » Jul 19 2017 06:50

Impulse wrote:How soft am I to flying units, or should I not even worry?

Panzer is correct when it comes to having answers- there are a TON of different kinds of units in 40k- infantry, tanks, planes, bikes, monsters, titans... at 500 points, you simply can't have an answer to all of them. The game isn't really balanced for competitive play at 500 points. If you do find someone who fields all flyers at 500 points of something like that, it's okay- those players are very, very rare. Usually it'll just be an HQ, 1-2 small squads, a tank, and maybe some kind of elite unit.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#74 » Jul 19 2017 09:29

Victory! All the advice about deployment and charging really paid off. I was up against the Skitarii Start Collecting box set and I went second and still won. Rolling markerlights one at a time was a game changer, as was marking multiple units. Coldstar's mobility was awesome, but she was kind of ineffective against enemy HQ. Having extra Fire Warriors let me just out-math the opponent.

So moving forward, I think Commander Quad-Fusion might be the way to go.

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#75 » Jul 19 2017 10:00

Nice to hear that our advice helped.
Quad fusion is probably better unless you are running multiple commanders.

May you gain many more victories!

Tau'va

Sniper

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#76 » Jul 20 2017 01:20

Impulse wrote:Victory! All the advice about deployment and charging really paid off. I was up against the Skitarii Start Collecting box set and I went second and still won. Rolling markerlights one at a time was a game changer, as was marking multiple units. Coldstar's mobility was awesome, but she was kind of ineffective against enemy HQ. Having extra Fire Warriors let me just out-math the opponent.

Well done! Tau'va shas'saal!

With the Coldstar Commander, remember that it's weapons aren't ultimately that strong. The mobility is what makes it great! So use it to fly around and pick off isolated/exposed enemy units, or units that are too far away for your ordinary guns to reach them. Any kind of weak sniper unit, flimsy heavy weapon unit, exposed character, etc., these are all great targets for a Coldstar!

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#77 » Jul 20 2017 08:55

Impulse wrote:Victory! All the advice about deployment and charging really paid off. I was up against the Skitarii Start Collecting box set and I went second and still won. Rolling markerlights one at a time was a game changer, as was marking multiple units. Coldstar's mobility was awesome, but she was kind of ineffective against enemy HQ. Having extra Fire Warriors let me just out-math the opponent.

Grats! I love my Quad fusion in 500. It has handled every "big thing" that has been thrown my way so far.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#78 » Jul 20 2017 06:54

Yojimbob wrote:

Grats! I love my Quad fusion in 500. It has handled every "big thing" that has been thrown my way so far.

In my first game (a Tau vs. Tau mirror match) I used a 4x Fusion Blaster Commander to kill Longstrike. Before that point I had been suspicious that that kind of Commander was any good... then rolled up Longstrike's exact number of wounds with my Fusion Blasters' damage. Boom!

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#79 » Jul 20 2017 06:56

Is quad fusion good enough for me to ditch my Ion Rifles? I already took the fusion cannon off a stealth suit to afford the new commander.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#80 » Jul 20 2017 07:38

Impulse wrote:Is quad fusion good enough for me to ditch my Ion Rifles? I already took the fusion cannon off a stealth suit to afford the new commander.

Can you quickly type up the list you're currently thinking about, Ion Rifles included for now? Thanks!

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#81 » Jul 20 2017 08:02

It's the week 2 list subbing quad fusion commander for coldstar, and putting the 2pts onto the anti-flying tech for a stealth unit.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#82 » Jul 20 2017 08:15

Impulse wrote:It's the week 2 list subbing quad fusion commander for coldstar, and putting the 2pts onto the anti-flying tech for a stealth unit.

I assume something like this then?

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters (160)
Troops - 9x Fire Warriors (72)
Troops - 9x Fire Warriors (72)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits, Velocity Tracker (92)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 2x Ion Rifles (56)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (48)

Honestly, the Ion Rifles are just 8 points- if you drop them, the most you could get is one more Fire Warrior, Gun Drone, or Pathfinder. I'd say keep the Ion Rifles unless you have a 5th Gun Drone lying around somewhere, in that case I could see an argument for making the Gun Drone squad bigger.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#83 » Jul 20 2017 09:14

HQ - Commander: 160pts
4xFusion Blaster

Troops - Strike Team: 144
Shas'ui; 8xFire Warriors w/Rifles (2 Units)

Elites - XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: 92pts
Stealth Shas'vre w/Burst Cannon and Velocity Tracker; 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/Burst cannon

Fast Attack - Pathfinder Team, Tactical Drones 104pts
3x Pathfinder w/Markerlights; Shas'ui w/pistol and markerlight; 2x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle

4x Gun Drone; 2x Shield Drone

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#84 » Jul 20 2017 09:50

Remember that the Strike Teams, albeit being the same unit, count as two individual choices. That's what makes It might make a little more sense to list each squad, then the squad's wargear, if you want to be really detailed. It might get confusing otherwise. Also, your Strike Team squads have 9 models each, for a cost of 72 per squad.

Unless you don't have enough Gun Drones, I think I'd go for 6x Gun Drones over 4x Gun Drones and 2x Shield Drones. Probably not players will fire heavy weapons at the Drones while theree is a Commander on the field I think. How about this, if you want a very-detailed army roster:

-

Tau Empire Army List: 500 points

HQ: Commander: 160
-4x Fusion Blasters

Troops: Strike Team: 72
-8x Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Rifles
-1x Fire Warrior Shas'ui w/ Pulse Rifle, Pulse Pistol

Troops: Strike Team: 72
-8x Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Rifles
-1x Fire Warrior Shas'ui w/ Pulse Rifle, Pulse Pistol

Elites: Stealthsuits: 92
-2x Stealthsuits w/ Burst Cannons
-1x Stealthsuit Shas'vre w/ Burst Cannon, Velocity Tracker

Fast Attack: Pathfinders: 56
-3x Pathfinders w/ Pulse Carbine, Markerlight
-1x Pathfinder Shas'ui w/ Pulse Carbine, Markerlight, Pulse Pistol
-2x Pathfinders w/ Ion Rifles

Fast Attack: Tactical Drones: 48
-6x Gun Drones w/ 2x Pulse Carbines

Total: 500 points

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#85 » Jul 23 2017 06:02

How do the new FAQs impact army building, especially the new Drone rules? (Not-so-disgusting but still resiliant)

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#86 » Jul 23 2017 08:33

Don't worry too much about it. It's just a friggin 500p list. None of your units got nerfed into oblivion so nothing really changed. ;)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#87 » Jul 23 2017 08:36

Impulse wrote:How do the new FAQs impact army building, especially the new Drone rules? (Not-so-disgusting but still resiliant)

It changes a few things:

1. Shield Drones are BACK baby! Decent with XV8s, amazing with Commanders, and amusingly viable as objective-holders.
2. Longstrike buffs himself, making him just that much better.
3. Velocity Trackers are (basically) worthless outside of Broadsides.
4. The Sunshark Bomber is now a bit better.
5. Broadsides are now somewhat viable with their Missile Drones if taken in large groups, but they're still too expensive.
6. Early Warning Override is slightly more viable.

So Longstrike will be even more common, Shield Drones went from zero to hero; expect to see these two units more often. Sunsharks may also become more popular. Also, expect to see people dropping Velocity Trackers from everything. The changes to the EWO and Broadside though won't change anything I think.

Panzer wrote:Don't worry too much about it. It's just a friggin 500p list. None of your units got nerfed into oblivion so nothing really changed. ;)

They won't change the 500pt list, but if Impulse wants to expand their army in the future, it'll of course be good to be aware of these changes!

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#88 » Jul 23 2017 09:01

Yep! I'm already thinking about what to get next. And of course I'm going to worry about my 500pt list because it's the whole point of this thread.

Ok so speaking of increased army size, are single Broadsides even viable? Or should I just get a Ghostkeel until I can buy 3 missilesides?

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#89 » Jul 23 2017 09:12

It's the point of this thread, but as I've already told you before, the actual list building only starts at around 1k points. In a 500p list you can take good units but you will never ever be prepared for every possible list you might face.
Changes like those we got in the recent FAQ won't change anything for you as long as none of the units you were to use got nerfed into oblivion.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#90 » Jul 24 2017 12:27

Impulse wrote:Ok so speaking of increased army size, are single Broadsides even viable? Or should I just get a Ghostkeel until I can buy 3 missilesides?

This makes me very sad to admit, but Broadsides really aren't that viable. The venerable Broadside with Heavy Rail Rifles has about a ~50% for D6 damage at 183 points, whereas Longstrike has a ~92% chance for D6 damage at 191 points among other abilities. Both of these units absolutely pale in comparison to the furious damage output of a Commander. 3 High Yeild Missile Pod Broadsides, still, are outperformed by 3 Commanders with Missile Pods, for fewer points.

For the time being, I wouldn't pick up any Broadsides unless (a) you find a really good deal somewhere, or (b) you wouldn't mind if they don't get any better in the Codex (which they probably won't).

I think Ghostkeels too fall into the same category. In fact, we can just say that all large Tau battlesuits (Riptide, Broadside, Ghostkeel; Stormsurge is not a battlesuit) are simply not worth their points.

You seem competitively-minded: for the time being then, stick with the following units:

Commanders
Longstrike
Fireblades
Fire Warriors
XV8s
Stealthsuits
Gun Drones
Vespid
Pathfinders
Hammerheads

Return to “Cadre Building”