[ATT Recommended] 500pt list help

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: [ATT Recommended] 500pt list help

Post#127 » Jul 28 2017 08:30

Impulse wrote:Also, can characters hang out in the middle of a unit?

Yup! Totally can. They don't join it but they can hang out.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#128 » Jul 28 2017 09:02

Yojimbob wrote:
Impulse wrote:Also, can characters hang out in the middle of a unit?

Yup! Totally can. They don't join it but they can hang out.

Definitely legal, but remember you "activate" units to move them one-at-a-time, so there theoretically could be problems if you, for example, have Darkstrider in the middle of a tightly-spaced unit of Pathfinders. Darkstrider wouldn't be able to move unless the Pathfinders did first, but if they did then they'd get -1 to hit... that would be a really, really rare case though.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#129 » Jul 30 2017 02:27

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26056

Stumbled across this, and was wondering why all the Gun Drones are spread out? Just as speedbumps?

Can anyone give me a few guidelines of when I shoulf charge enemy units?

How many Shield Drones should go with a Commander? Should I drop a Fusion Blaster to take a shield generator instrad? What's this chatter about Cyclic Ion being viable? On The Long War podcast this week, Kenny Boucher said he only considers D3 damage and up playable, but I don't understand why.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#130 » Jul 30 2017 02:33

You should charge enemy units if:
- the enemy unit won't wipe your unit
- the enemy units shooting potential is bigger than the unit you are charging with OR if your unit has fly
- you want the enemy to avoid shooting at your unit without having to do something for it (falling back with a unit so it can't shoot in his next turn)

You shouldn't charge enemy units if:
- the enemy unit is a dedicated melee unit that simply wipes yours
- it means that your unit will be in range for a mean counter charge

And of course you have to think about positioning as well. Like staying in cover, being near/on objectives, getting into line of sight of enemy units, etc.

It's really just all about preventing the opponent to deal some damage for a turn without gimping yourself. Crisis Suits and to some degree Stealth Suits are ideal for that but won't work at all against enemy units with Fly.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#131 » Jul 30 2017 11:47

Panzer's absolutely right. I'll reply to your other questions though:

Impulse wrote:http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26056

Stumbled across this, and was wondering why all the Gun Drones are spread out? Just as speedbumps?

He's playing with ITC rules, so the Gun Drones being small squads isn't a problem. He brought lots of sort-range Commanders, and so brought as many Gun Drones as he could. Of course, this battle took place before the Shield Drone FAQ update.

Impulse wrote:How many Shield Drones should go with a Commander? Should I drop a Fusion Blaster to take a shield generator instead?

Two Shield Drones on every Commander with 18" range or shorter. I wouldn't bother with the Shield Generator- with luck, you'll be able to back up your Commander with other XV8s, keeping him alive. If really need to do a 'suicide drop' with the Commander, it's okay. He'll probably make his points back (at least) in one round of shooting. However, if you find yourself frequently needing to drop the Commander into very hostile areas, then consider using a Shield Generator.

Impulse wrote:What's this chatter about Cyclic Ion being viable? On The Long War podcast this week, Kenny Boucher said he only considers D3 damage and up playable, but I don't understand why.

The CIB isn't just viable, it's one of the best guns we have! I've loved using it so far. Use a Markerlight to re-roll ones, and as long as you can re-roll ones always overcharge it! It can butcher Terminators, Primaris, Kastellans, Rhinos, Dreadnoughts, even other XV8s! It's a beautiful gun. The Long War is probably right- against models with may wounds, you really want to focus on using multi-damage weapons.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#132 » Aug 12 2017 04:49

I'm confused about how drones work when they're taken with a Commander.

All other units (Pathfinders, Stealth Suits, etc) have the drones set up with the unit and then become their own.

So if someone shoots at a Commander and 2 drones, which stats am I using? It's all one unit right?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#133 » Aug 12 2017 08:36

Impulse wrote:I'm confused about how drones work when they're taken with a Commander.

All other units (Pathfinders, Stealth Suits, etc) have the drones set up with the unit and then become their own.

So if someone shoots at a Commander and 2 drones, which stats am I using? It's all one unit right?

Commander is the same way! You set up the Commander, then the Drones split off and form their own unit. Just like Pathfinders and Stealthsuits. However, if you move your Commander's Drones cleverly, you can always keep them between the Commander and the enemy. Because the Commander is a character, the enemy can only target the Shield Drones, and not the Commander! Tricky, right?

So, to answer your question, the Commander can't be targeted if there are Shield Drones in front of it. The enemy must shoot the Shield Drones first, and only when they Shield Drones are all destroyed can the Commander be targeted.

Impulse
Shas'Saal

Post#134 » Aug 12 2017 09:30

Why is there no bit in Xenos 2 under Commander that talks about drones dropping off so to speak? Am I just missing it? Is it based on a different rule somewhere? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Edit:
...oops, it's in the Errata/FAQ

Thank you just the same

Arka0415
Shas'Ui

Post#135 » Aug 12 2017 10:50

Impulse wrote:Why is there no bit in Xenos 2 under Commander that talks about drones dropping off so to speak? Am I just missing it? Is it based on a different rule somewhere? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Edit:
...oops, it's in the Errata/FAQ

Thank you just the same

Yeah, there were so many mistakes and omissions in our Index. Hopefully the Codex is cleaner!

Return to “Cadre Building”