Competitive 2000 Points vs Guard

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
The Shrike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Competitive 2000 Points vs Guard

Post#1 » Jul 17 2017 11:37

Okay ATT, I'm mostly a casual gamer but a friend of mine is getting ready for a tournament and requested a competitive game. I don't know what he's running other than that it's Guard. Here is what I'm thinking:

Supreme Command Detachment

Coldstar Commander: Missile Pod, High Output Burst Cannon, Advanced Targeting, Target Lock, 2x Gun Drones-164

Commander: 4x Fusion Blaster, 2x Gun Drones-176

Commander: 3x Cyclic Ion Blaster, Advanced Targeting System, 2x Gun Drones-154

Outrider Detachment

Commander: 4x Burst Cannons, 2x Gun Drones-132

Y'Vahra: Advanced Targeting System, Target Lock-415

4 Kroot Hounds- 16
4 Kroot Hounds- 16
4 Kroot Hounds- 16

7 Pathfinders-56

Total: 2000

I usually play Maelstrom, which would mean I would need some objective grabbers. But in the NOVA format, I can always elect to grab stuff end-of-game, so I can at least defer my objective-hopping until the bottom of turn 5. Things I'm scared of: Bullgryn. Man, I faced those things once and they were nasty. The invulnerable saves are tough to crack. Also: Lascannons. I'm sure he'll bring plenty, which means my commanders have to hide behind the Y'Vahras because their drone screens won't last long.

Thoughts?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Competitive 2000 Points vs Guard

Post#2 » Jul 17 2017 11:39

I honestly don't see the point of Burst Cannon Commander. They don't do anything better than what a CIB commander would do.

The Shrike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 17 2017 12:00

I think you're probably right, I could do one more CIB commander, but that's it, I only have 12 CIBs (well, 13). The Burst were in case he runs multiple conscript hordes. 16 shots vs 9 for the CIB+ATS. I would have to locate 22 points though to execute the swap. Suggestions?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 17 2017 12:04

I'd probably drop one of the Commander completely and get more Drones for the leftover points.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 17 2017 02:43

Panzer wrote:I'd probably drop one of the Commander completely and get more Drones for the leftover points.

If you go with drones, find a way to add a DC. Clearly this is a light markerlight list relying on the commanders and yvahra autohits to do all the work but adding pathfinders with ions might not be awful.

Cgreeves
Shas

Post#6 » Jul 17 2017 03:19

Would you not have more stopping power by replacing burst cannon commanders with a firblade and 10 drones. This can put out 40-60 shots re-rollings 1's so worst case scenario an average of the same hits and in half range an average of 5 more hits. Just my thoughts.

The Shrike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 18 2017 10:39

Okay, here's a whirl with that concept included; will be good for dealing with those pesky conscript hordes.

Supreme Command Detachment

Fireblade-42

Outrider Detachment

Commander: 4x Burst Cannons, 1x Gun Drone-124

4 Kroot Hounds- 16
4 Kroot Hounds- 16

5 Gun Drones-40
5 Gun Drones-40

Devilfish: 2x Gun Drones, Burst Cannon-127

Outrider Detachment

4 Kroot Hounds- 16

Total: 1999

The gun drones and Fireblade pile into the Devilfish and operate near the Burst Commanders to thin down his conscript hordes (I know he'll have a few, but fwiw I think this is a good TAC concept anyway).

The CIB Commanders will operate behind the Y'Vahras. I think the biggest problem with this whole thing will be me wiping out targets within 18" and thus being left with nothing to shoot at. This is such a big problem in my mind I'm considering trading an Y'Vahra for a R'Varna, who can sling pulse cannon salvos in the back unperturbed by range issues.

Thoughts?

Return to “Cadre Building”