2000pt Eldar Allies

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

2000pt Eldar Allies

Post#1 » Jul 18 2017 08:02

First of all, I call it my "unpopular Opinion" list because most of the units I'm taking seem to be disliked quite a bit, but that doesn't bother me because I don't have a large collection of models so I have little choice anyway :D

Secondly, readers can find my project log here to see the models I'll be using in my army, short the Broadside battlesuits as I need to proxy those until I get them finished.

Now, onto the list:
The army is made up of a Battalion detachment and a Vanguard detachment, so we'll start with the Battalion:

Cadre Fireblade
Ethereal on Hover Drone

9 Strike Shas'la with Pulse Rifles, 1 Shas'ui with Markerlight, Pulse Rifle and Pistol, DS8 Missile turret with Missile Pod
4 Strike Shas'la with Pulse Rifles, 1 Shas'ui with Markerlight, Pulse Rifle and Pistol
4 Strike Shas'la with Pulse Rifles, 1 Shas'ui with Markerlight, Pulse Rifle and Pistol

9 Pathfinder Shas'la with Markerlights and Pulse Carbines, 1 Shas'ui with Markerlight, Pulse Carbine and Pistol, 1 Pulse Accelerator Drone, 1 Gravity Inhibitor Drone

2 Broadside Shas'ui with Heavy Rail Rifles, Plasma Rifles, Multi-trackers and Seeker Missiles, 1 Shas'vre with Heavy Rail Rifle, Plasma Rifles, Multi-tracker and Seeker Missile

That's all for the Battalion, now onto the Vangard.

Crisis Shas'o with 4 Missile Pods

Riptide Shas'vre with Heavy Burst Cannon, Smart Missile Systems, Advanced Targeting System and Multi-tracker

2 Crisis Shas'ui with Cyclic Ion Blasters, Plasma Rifles and Shield Generators, 1 Crisis Shas'vre with Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle and Shield Generator, 6 MV1 Gun Drones
2 Crisis Shas'ui with 2 Missile Pods and Advanced Targeting Systems, 1 Crisis Shas'vre with 2 Missile Pods and Velocity Tracker, 6 MV1 Gun Drones

This list came in at exactly 2000 points, and was originally just a Battalion detachment until I realised I had enough HQ and Elite choices to make a Vanguard detachment for that one extra Command Point.

I don't have many options at this points bracket, since as I said, these are the only models I actually own.

I've experimented in the games that I have played, with putting all my infantry in a kinda blob and stacking bulk bonuses, but I'm still trying to perfect the strategy. To this day, I've constantly forgotten about my Cadre Fireblade's bonus, and that may have possibly turned the tide of some conflicts, but oh well, its a learning experience. My Crisis suits have only failed me once, and it was against Harlequins so I kinda expected that. Those Harlequins have fantastic move speeds! My Riptide disappointed me a bit with his Ion Accelerator, so I figured I'd free up some points and give him more shots instead of more strength. I have yet to try out the Broadsides(since I haven't got them yet), but I'm feeling pretty confident in their ability to kill things. HOPEFULLY I can get a game in this coming weekend, and I'll definitely reflect on my army selection following the win or loss.

I'm always open to criticism and advise, but please don't be offended if your point of view doesn't line up with or appeal to me :)
Last edited by Bloodknife92 on Aug 13 2017 04:43, edited 3 times in total.
The days of goodly English is went

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 2000pt "Unpopular Opinion" list

Post#2 » Jul 18 2017 08:15

Strike teams are good. Seems pretty balanced. Riptides have never failed to disappoint me. They seem overpriced. Perhaps I've had bad luck, but it really is not competitive.

Just my $0.02

Sniper

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 18 2017 09:41

After my failures to do much of anything to anyone with the Ion Accelerator, I'm hoping that the Heavy Burst Cannon redeems the Riptide. I'd hate to be disappointed, because the Riptide is such a cool model and I had so much fun putting it together and painting it!

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 18 2017 09:46

My rule of thumb I'm testing out is:
Use ghostkeels in list 1000 pts and below
Use riptides in lists 2000 pts and above

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 18 2017 09:51

Glarblar wrote:My rule of thumb I'm testing out is:

Interesting rule. After finishing my Broadsides, I'm going to buy some new Pathfinders(as I'll be using my old Fire Warriors as 'counts as' Pathginders) and following thr Pathfinders I'm going to invest in a Ghostkeel. I'm really interested in how the Ghostkeel holds up beside the other T'au units. Luckily, there's no shortage of Elite slots in this army, creating loads of room for expansion without a full redesign.

jens
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 19 2017 06:49

.. Why? Load-out per pointcost ?
Could you explain this theory more thorough :) ? ( in another post maybe )

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 19 2017 07:33

I've amended the list: I changed out the Advanced Targeting System on the Shas'ui of the Missile pod Crisis unit for a Velocity Tracker, and give Markerlights to the two Shas'ui of the smaller Strike Teams., totalling at 2000 pts again.

I added the VT because I learned that it not only gives +1 against flyers, but also against Assault Marines, Necron Arks(and pretty much every Necron vehicle) and anything else with the Fly keyword. This is really good for me since my neighbor spams Arks, and they're really strong :biggrin:

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 19 2017 08:44

jens wrote:

.. Why? Load-out per pointcost ?
Could you explain this theory more thorough :) ? ( in another post maybe )

No data (or playtesting) behind it yet just theorycrafting. My thoughts below:

Ghostkeel are too vulnerable to be taken in large games where their drones could be picked off then GK targeted in a single shooting phase. Take in lower games to reduce the number of units your opponent has to fire at it.

Riptide is a tank and too expensive for smaller games, and could easily be avoided by the opponent. Taking him in larger games ensures your opponent will have some firepower to dedicate to taking him down and thus fulfilling his 'Tank' roll.

EDIT: I did a small analysis of the ATC 40k tournament that happened recently and one of the top tau list used 2 Ghostkeels in a 2000 pt list, which would go against what I theorize as effective. Maybe taking multiple in conjunction with stealth teams makes this optimal

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jul 19 2017 06:22

Glarblar wrote:
No data (or playtesting) behind it yet just theorycrafting. My thoughts below:

Ghostkeel are too vulnerable to be taken in large games where their drones could be picked off then GK targeted in a single shooting phase. Take in lower games to reduce the number of units your opponent has to fire at it.

Riptide is a tank and too expensive for smaller games, and could easily be avoided by the opponent. Taking him in larger games ensures your opponent will have some firepower to dedicate to taking him down and thus fulfilling his 'Tank' roll.

EDIT: I did a small analysis of the ATC 40k tournament that happened recently and one of the top tau list used 2 Ghostkeels in a 2000 pt list, which would go against what I theorize as effective. Maybe taking multiple in conjunction with stealth teams makes this optimal

As long as you hid your Ghostkeels from dangerous amounts of enemies, you could pop them out or into other cover and plink at individual targets. I have heard that the Ghostkeel's -1 to hit is pretty helpful.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 2000pt Amended list

Post#10 » Aug 08 2017 07:09

Battalion Detachment
Cadre Fireblade
Ethereal on Hover Drone

4 Pathfinder Shas'la with Markerlights and Pulse Carbines, 1 Shas'ui with Markerlight, Pulse Carbine and Pistol
4 Pathfinder Shas'la with Markerlights and Pulse Carbines, 1 Shas'ui with Markerlight, Pulse Carbine and Pistol, 1 MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone

Vanguard Detachment
Crisis Shas'o with 4 Missile Pods

2 Crisis Shas'ui with Cyclic Ion Blasters, Plasma Rifles and Shield Generators, 1 Crisis Shas'vre with Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle and Shield Generator, 3 MV1 Gun Drones
2 Crisis Shas'ui with 2 Missile Pods and Advanced Targeting Systems, 1 Crisis Shas'vre with 2 Missile Pods and Advanced Targeting System, 3 MV1 Gun Drones
Ghostkeel Shas'vre with Fusion Collider, two Fusion Blasters, Multi-tracker, Stimulant Injector, 2 MV5 Stealth Drones
Ghostkeel Shas'vre with Cyclic Ion Raker, two Burst Cannons, Advanced Targeting System, Target Lock, 2 MV5 Stealth Drones

2 Broadside Shas'ui with Heavy Rail Rifles, Plasma Rifles, Multi-trackers and Seeker Missiles, 1 Shas'vre with Heavy Rail Rifle, Plasma Rifles, Multi-tracker and Seeker Missile

Designer's Comments: I took out my Riptide for starters, as he's been nothing but disappointment for me so far. This unfortunately means I need to buy a pair of Ghostkeel kits, which will take me a number of months, but that's time I'm willing to wait for effective units, and I definitely think I'll have my Ghostkeels ready before our new codex comes out.

I also moved the Broadsides to the Vanguard Detachment to make it a fully suit detachment while leaving the Battalion to only infantry. It's not an army changing effect, but it felt right :P

I took the DS8 Turret away from my Fire Warriors as it felt like a very lack-luster points sink, and I also split up my Pathfinders so that they're harder to battleshock.

The plan for this configuration is to setup a rear line, a mid line and a mid-front line. The rear line will have my Broadsides and my Missile Crisis team, the mid line will have all of my infantry models, and the front-mid line will sit right in front of or beside the mid line with the rest of the suits; the Commander, the "Hot"(Ion/Plasma) Crisis team and the two Ghostkeels. With this strategy, hopefully I never have to leave my deployment zone unless there's an objective that would draw me to do just that.

AN'SHI
Shas

Post#11 » Aug 08 2017 11:19

Why broad sides? And why multi tracker?

I used a broadside unit and to be no eat I wasn't Impressed with their output and point costs

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Aug 08 2017 11:24

I'm ready to be disapppinted. I chose Multi-trackers because most of the available wargear was less appealing or too expensive at that point.

I love Railsides. I love the idea of firing a miniscule projectile at light speed and punching through tanks and sucking their crew out the other side as a red mist sprayed all over the battlefield. These guys are one of the units that pulled me to T'au ten years ago. Overcosted or not, I'm using them.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 2000pt Eldar Allies

Post#13 » Aug 13 2017 05:17

I've been toying around with the idea of collecting another army to help bolater my T'au, since without Commander spam we're at a large disadvantage. I considered Space Marines because I love Devastators and I'd love to do up some regular Space Marines with Grey Knight heads, but I couldn't put together an army list I was happy with. So I turned to Eldar. Now, I have heard that they are also not in a good spot at the moment, but there are many reasons why Eldar ia the perfect second army for me; My wife likes Eldar, but hasn't had the time to put together or paint hers, so I figured I'll start collectibg some Eldar and if she wants, she can kickstart her gameplay with my Eldar models, and hopefully that'll motivate her to get her models put together :D; the codices look like they're going to be expensive, so to minimise costs, buying the Eldar codex will benefit my wife AND myself and; having Eldar allies will give me some capability in the Psychic and Assault phases, bolstering my T'au's capability by a lot(hopefully).

So without wasting anymore time, here's what I devised for 2000 points. Each unit was chosen to suit my personal likes to maximise modeling enjoyment.

Battalion Detachment
Cadre Fireblade
Crisis Shas'O with 4 Missile Pods

9 Shas'la with Pulse Rifles, 1 Shas'ui with Pulse Rifle and Pulse Pistol

2 Crisis Shas'ui with Advanced Targeting Systems and 2 Missile Pods, 1 Crisis Shas'vre with Advanced Targeting System and 2 Missile Pods, 6 MV1 Gun Drones
W Crisis Shas'ui with Shield Generators and 2 Fusion Blasters, 1 Crisis Shas'vre with Shield Generator and 2 Fusion Blasters, 6 MV1 Gun Drones

9 Pathfinder Shas'la with Pulse Carbines and Markerlights, 1 Shas'ui with Pulse Carbine and Markerlight, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone

Patrol Detachment
Eldrad Ulthran

10 Guardian Defenders, 1 Guardian Heavy Weapons Platform with Aeldari Missile Launcher
5 Rangers

5 Howling Banshees, 1 Howling Banshee Exarch with Mirrorswords

Wraithlord with 2 Shuriken Catapults, Ghostglaive and 2 Shuriken Canons

Wave Serpent with 2 Shuriken Catapults, 2 Scatter Lasers, Vectored Engines and Star Engines

This list totalled at 1999 points. It should be obvious how it plays :)

Return to “Cadre Building”