1k list loadout ok?

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

1k list loadout ok?

Post#1 » Jul 24 2017 11:06

So just starting my Tau.

Got the Burning Dawn set, starter set, 6 additional drones and a Commander
(1 Commander, 2 Ethereals, Piranha, 10 Pathfinders, 10 Fire warriors, 3 stealth suits, 3 XV8's)
So I'm minimal in how to shift around models, but more on getting the most out of my load out and drone choices
Also my pathfinders where build to specs in the infiltraton cadre of the Burning Dawn set (1 ion and 2 rail).

I'm playing tomorrow evening vs a combination of renegades, heretics and chaos marines

Here is my list so far:

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [49 PL, 1000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]:
4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

Ethereal [3 PL, 50pts]:
Honour blade, Hover Drone

+ Troops +

Strike Team [5 PL, 103pts]:
DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ SMS
Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
9x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [6 PL, 134pts]:
Homing beacon
2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system: 2x Advanced targeting system, 2x Burst cannon
Stealth Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, Burst cannon

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 252pts]:
3x MV1 Gun Drone, 3x MV4 Shield Drone
Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Flamer
Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Flamer
Crisis Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, 2x Flamer

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [8 PL, 166pts]:
MB3 Recon Drone, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
6x Pathfinder: 6x Markerlight
Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol
Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: Ion rifle
2x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle: 2x Rail rifle

Tactical Drones [2 PL, 38pts]:
MV4 Shield Drone, 3x MV7 Marker Drone

TX4 Piranhas [4 PL, 81pts]
TX4 Piranha w/ BC & 2x SM: Burst cannon, 2x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x Seeker missile

++ Total: [49 PL, 1000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 1k list loadout ok?

Post#2 » Jul 24 2017 07:17

Yeah, the issue here is that you don't really have enough models to play 1000 points, so you'd need to stack a bit of wargear to fill the gap. I think we can make the wargear more efficient, to try and even the odds a bit. Anyway, this is the "core" of the list, right?

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters (160)
HQ - Ethereal w/ Hover Drone (50)
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors (80)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Flamers, 3x ATS (204)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 1x Ion Rifle, 2x Rail Rifles (122)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (71)

In total, that's 797 points. So, you need 203 points to get to 1000, and we want to prioritize bringing lots of models to the table. You also should have tons of Drones right- with the sets you have, about 15 right? In your case, assembling all but three or four of as Gun Drones would be pretty viable. I'm not sure on your total number of Drones though, so I'll assume 15 and we can edit the final list if you actually have more. We'll put 6 with the XV8s, and 6 in a squad that will act as a screen against melee units (Chaos will have lots of those!). We'll also take those Pathfinder drones as a big unit, complete a Shield Drone too.

Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Flamers, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (252)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 1x Ion Rifle, 2x Rail Rifles; 1x Shield Drone, 1x Recon Drone, 1x Grav-Inhibitor Drone, 1x Pulse Accelerator Drone (158)
Fast Attack - Tactical Drones w/ 6x Gun Drones (48)

Now we still have 71 points left to spend. We'll put two Shield Drones with the Commander, and I'd also upgrade the XV8s to carry Fusion Blasters instead of ATS. the 2xFlamer+1xFusion Blaster is a tried-and-tested build used in a tournament last month. Finally, we'll give the Fire Warriors their Support Turret w/ Missile Pod too.

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors w/ Support Turret, Missile Pod (100)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Flamers, 3x Fusion Blasters; 6x Gun Drones (288)

So, here's the final list:

-

Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 1x Ion Rifle, 2x Rail Rifles; 1x Shield Drone, 1x Recon Drone, 1x Grav-Inhibitor Drone, 1x Pulse Accelerator Drone (158)

Total: 1001 - Command Points: 4 (Outrider Detachment)

-

What do you think?

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 25 2017 02:13

Thanks Arka that looks promising!

Sorry I had to be more clear, I do manage to magnetize the bigger models so the Commander, XV8's and Piranha can (or soon can, still building/magnetizing) swap loadouts

also I got 6 extra drones (3 shield 3 Marker) above what all the kits provide
Stealthsuits = Marker drone
Commander drone = Gun drone
XV8's = 3x Gun drone & 3x Shield drone (though need to build 4 of them this afternoon, got 1&1 now and maximum to build in the kit is 3 of each, though I got spare parts)
Strike team = Guardian drone + Gun Drone

Also I found that in my 500 point games I was playing the Markerlight game a lot with the marker drones first and loading it out where needed with the pathfinders. I think I want to keep that strategy going

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 25 2017 08:50

Arka0415 wrote:
So, here's the final list:

-

Total: 1001 - Command Points: 4 (Outrider Detachment)

-

What do you think?

I'm getting 291 for the "3x XV8s w/ 6x Flamers, 3x Fusion Blasters; 6x Gun Drones"

Also swapping out 1-2 gun drones in the groups of 6 for shield drones to make stuff a bit more durable?

So more like this with my preferred use of markerlights then?:

Troops - 1 Shas'ui (with pulse pistol), 9x Fire Warriors w/ Support Turret, Missile Pod (100)
Elites - 1x Shas'vre + 2 XV8s w/ 6x Flamers, 3x Fusion Blasters; 4x Gun Drones, 2x Shield Drones (291)
Elites - 1x Shas'vre + 2x Stealthsuits w/ Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Fast Attack - 1 Shas'ui (with pulse pistol) 9x Pathfinders w/ 1x Ion Rifle, 2x Rail Rifles; 2x Shield Drone, 1x Recon Drone, 1x Grav-Inhibitor Drone, 1x Pulse Accelerator Drone (166)
Fast Attack - Tactical Drones w/ 3x Gun Drones, 1x shield drone (38)

Total: 1002 - Command Points: 4 (Outrider Detachment)

why the missile pod over the SMS on the support turret? Also no seeker missiles? And no ATS on the Stealths? Does this all weigh up against taking the FB on the XV8's (and leaving the ATS)

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 25 2017 09:08

id give the pirahna a fusion, even if its modelled with a burst. Its a great platform for getting into melta range. Drop the recon drone to pay for it. Tau already have an abundance of S5 shots, no need to pay 70+ points for a measly 4 more.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 25 2017 09:15

Lechai Skull wrote:id give the pirahna a fusion, even if its modelled with a burst. Its a great platform for getting into melta range. Drop the recon drone to pay for it. Tau already have an abundance of S5 shots, no need to pay 70+ points for a measly 4 more.

It's magnetized so I can swap it out, but I find it to expensive to field it with a FB for the BS it has and the role I want to use it in. namely get that thing across the board and tie up a shooty unit in combat. I expect it to die soon as it's the only vehicle I have also if I keep it out of combat flying around.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jul 25 2017 09:39

Personal Edits to the above list (bold = added):

Troops - 1 Shas'ui (with pulse pistol), 9x Fire Warriors (80)
Elites - 1x Shas'vre + 2 XV8s w/ 6x Flamers, 3x Fusion Blasters; 4x Gun Drones, 2x Shield Drones (291)
Elites - 1x Shas'vre + 2x Stealthsuits w/ Burst Cannons & ATS, Homing Beacon (134)
Fast Attack - 1 Shas'ui (with pulse pistol) 9x Pathfinders w/ 3x Ion Rifle; 2x Shield Drone (123)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ FB; 2x Gun Drones (82)
Fast Attack - Tactical Drones w/ 4x Gun Drones, 2x shield drone (64)

Total: 1000 - Command Points: 4 (Outrider Detachment)

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 25 2017 05:22

Sorry @Glarblar didn't see your post before the battle anymore.

I eventually went with

Troops - 1 Shas'ui (with pulse pistol), 9x Fire Warriors w/ Support Turret, SMS (100)
Elites - 1x Shas'vre + 2 XV8s w/ 6x Flamers, 3x Fusion Blasters; 5x Gun Drones, 1x Shield Drones (291)
Elites - 1x Shas'vre + 2x Stealthsuits w/ Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Fast Attack - 1 Shas'ui (with pulse pistol) 9x Pathfinders w/ 1x Ion Rifle, 2x Rail Rifles; 2x Shield Drone, 1x Recon Drone, 1x Grav-Inhibitor Drone, 1x Pulse Accelerator Drone (166)
Fast Attack - Tactical Drones w/ 3x Marker drones, 1x shield drone (38)

Won 11 - 2 on a maelstrom game, had a good position starting and had first turn and the objectives fell my way for scoring points. In the end I shot most of his army off the table

Commander dropped in on turn 2 had stagefright or cold feet.. all his shots hit but all failed to wound on the heretic tank (T8 vs S8).. only rolled below 4 even with a CP...He killed a few mutants in cc and shot one (the last one) on overwatch, but that was it. Well it was his first battle leading..
Ethereal didn't do much and his buffs weren't needed on the strike team.
Strike team with the added range from the Pulse drone did what was needed. And with some bad positioning was able to take out his psyker in a later turn (also for an objective card)
XV8's also dropped in on turn 2 on the homeing beacon and fried about 10 of his troops there and took out the whole rest of the unit in shooting / combat afterwards, took the only 2 wounds from the tank, killed 2 termi's, got killed by his warlord, I was satisfied with their performance.
Stealths did what they needed to do, and also made sure to contest the objective he needed for his first point.
Pathfinders good ML platform.. 1 ion still underwhelming... 2 rail awesome! Killed another termi otherwise didn't have very good targets on the table ( 3 big groups of mediocre guard like units)
Piranha did what I wanted it to do by taking out the mutants shooting an keeping them locked down after 2 rounds of shooting into them. It was taken out by the psyker doing exactly 6 mortal wounds.
Tac Drones almost wiffed all the markerlights, probably was influenced by the commander

All in all a good overal performance and a great game! With some really bad luck on his part..
2 units needed to roll to determine Ld.. D6+2.. both of those rolled a 1.. so with LD3 he saw more run way then he wanted

Return to “Cadre Building”