Farsight Enclave Counter Crisis 2000pts

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Silvtalon
Shas

Farsight Enclave Counter Crisis 2000pts

Post#1 » Jul 24 2017 11:15

Total Command Points 7, Total Power level 103, Deployments 12, Kill points 15
Battalion Detachment
HQ
Farsight

Commander
4x fusion blasters

Troops
Strike Team 1
5 tau, 1 marker light

Strike Team 2
5 tau, 1 marker light

Strike Team 3
5 tau

Fast attack
Pathfinder team 1
10 pathfinders

Pathfinder team 2
10 pathfinders

Vanguard Detachment
HQ
Commander
4x fusion blasters

Elites
Crisis Team 1
9x plasma rifles 4x gun drones

Crisis Team 2
9x plasma rifles, 4x gun drones

Crisis team 3
6x Cyclic Ion blaster, 3 advanced targeting systems, 2 marker drones, 3 gun drones

Aux Super Heavy Support
Xv128 Stormsurge
pulse blast cannon, cluster rocket system, 4x destroyer missiles, 2x smart missile systems, 2x burst cannons
support systems, advanced targeting system, stimulant injectors, shield generator

This list is an upgraded list to the one posted a month ago. It has been field tested against four armies thus far and has done extremely well. Its been called a very aggressive tau army by those I have played against it thus far.

Tactics employed
Farsight, commanders and crisis suits are all in reserve which puts 6 into reserve allowing you to see where a good portion of the enemies forces will be deployed. Once you actually start deploying on the table you will have a very good idea how your enemy is setting up this will allow you to counter deploy and dig in. Normally I'd have my pathfinders and strike teams close together deep in cover where possible with the KV128 behind them making it impossible to be charged. Rarely I might place a single strike team a distance out from where I plan to set up the rest of the force to throw the enemy off a bit it does work fairly often. But my strike teams are always the first to hit the table then my pathfinders so I keep the enemy guessing where they will go.

During the game, I will bring in my crisis teams and commanders to hit vulnerable targets reducing the risk of return fire at best and decreasing the chances of being charged mainly. Farsight will accompany the plasma team(s) depending what I am shooting at. The fusion blasters commanders can accompany the CIB team to hunt down tough tanks or high multi-wound targets or a fusion commander can accompany a plasma team. It really depends on the targets. A lot of the times coming down on first turn is clutch, but some times waiting with a unit in reserve with a commander can be a big game changer it all depends on what your fighting against. Rarely I would charge with my suits the turn they deep strike mainly to get farsight into a crippled unit to finish it off but only if the conditions allow me to walk away afterwards.

In addition depending on how many deep strikes and what type load outs their deep strikes may have will determine if I need to counter crisis them. In short if I go first, I wait till they bring their deep strikes in and annihilate that part hard and fast. Some times I will only send in 1 crisis team in on turn one to get them to deep strike two or more in an attempt to wipe them out. Allowing the rest of my deep strikes to fall in behind the attackers to save my suits from being taken out.

Lastly, Do not be afraid of deep striking in sight of massed str 4 or less fire power. The toughness of 5 and having drones supporting your crisis suits can weather enemies attack very well. Its amazing how much a game changer is for our crisis suits with toughness 5. In cover its even more insane so use cover when ever possible.

Conditions I follow when engaging in melee with farsight.
1) can kill the target with the charging units outright or leave very little left if necessary.
2) enemy support can't charge me on their turn. IF they can charge you, it might be better for you to use over watch in which tends to be the safer option.
3) So long as you get drones into the fray with farsight to assist so they can take the heavy return hits if the target survives.

Marker lights are used to mark up high priority targets. Really depends on what needs to die first. Having 10 in cover is very difficult to take out. In one game two shooting terminator squads, 3 heavy plasma cannons and few las cannons and a bunch of bolter fire which in this case large portion of his army it took to kill one pathfinder team in cover. Although granted I rolled incredibly well. It was mainly the heavy weapons that killed the pathfinders off hardly any of the normal fire and assault weapons did anything. Even with re-roll all misses army wide.

Striker teams protect the pathfinders, add their marker lights if needed or pulse fire.

KV128 is the bait... Plain in simple, everyone wants to kill the big baddie fast and hard. Hes a big baddy that can dish out damage as well as take it. Is there to make the enemy fire their strongest weapons at it, send their deep strikes into attempt to charge it and being blasted apart by supporting fire in suicide charges. If they don't charge or don't make it the return fire will ensure most units will be wiped. He does a great job in drawing the enemy close that is for sure.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Farsight Enclave Counter Crisis 2000pts

Post#2 » Jul 25 2017 12:25

This looks like a really good list, honestly I wouldn't change much!

However, I feel like there are a few places where you could clean the list up a little:

1. Give the Plamsa XV8s 2 more Gun Drones each
2. Give the CIB XV8s all Gun Drones instead, without a Drone Controller those Marker Drones will be unreliable

Also, a few questions:

1. Are you sure the Pulse Blastcannon is the right choice for the Stormsurge?
2. Could you possibly benefit from Stealthsuits using a Homing Beacon to support those Plasma XV8s, Fusion Commanders, or Farsight?
3. Might you have too many Pathfinders?

Silvtalon
Shas

Post#3 » Jul 25 2017 10:25

Arka0415 wrote:This looks like a really good list, honestly I wouldn't change much!

However, I feel like there are a few places where you could clean the list up a little:

1. Give the Plamsa XV8s 2 more Gun Drones each
2. Give the CIB XV8s all Gun Drones instead, without a Drone Controller those Marker Drones will be unreliable

Also, a few questions:

1. Are you sure the Pulse Blastcannon is the right choice for the Stormsurge?
2. Could you possibly benefit from Stealthsuits using a Homing Beacon to support those Plasma XV8s, Fusion Commanders, or Farsight?
3. Might you have too many Pathfinders?

1) Adding gun drones to plasma XV8's, I had six gun drones per squad for a good while testing. But most of my people I play are well aware of what drones do. They do tend to pour in a lot of fire power (basic) at them before shooting the suits. So honestly a few extra drones doesn't mean much in the long run and those extra points can be put into more firepower.

2) The marker drones effectiveness may all to hot so to speak with out a drone controller that is true the reason why I have two of them is to give me a good chance of rolling latest 1 5 or 6. Having two is equal to a 4+ to hit, I do average about 4-6hits a game out of 5 turns. So its a marker light that I can use to get re-rolls on 1's so I can use the CIB Overcharge option if my crisis team is out of range of my marker lights. May not be the best of chances but at least its a chance.

Other questions
1) Very few armies will stay at range most will bring in their specialty units for melee or closer ranged shooting. My crisis suits deal with at range to close range what ever role they need to play. In addition even though the other gun option is great at all ranges with high strength and good ap. I find the pulse blast cannon to be far superior in regards to over all damage out put. Every 10 inches they draw in closer from 30 inches the more damage and ap the weapon does and the less shots. Once the target hits 20 inches or less your doing up to 12 damage with very high ap. Unless they got an invulnerable something will die or be heavily damaged.

2) Stealthsuits.... Yes I could benefit from them the only units that would be my fusion blaster commanders but that is a slight problem in itself here is why. In a vast majority of battles being with in 14 inches or less had a strong chance to ensure your team could be charged by survivors or other enemy units. Then under 9 inches using a homing beacon it was 100% chance to loose a unit. The ability to be 16 or 18 inches away with a team of equal distanced crisis team as support for the commander ensured a greater chance to avoid being charged by the enemy. This tends force the enemy to go into a different direction making your crisis suits chase the enemy. Most players wont risk the over watch if they have to make a 10 to 11 inch charge that's including the 1 inch to be in range for melee. If they do choose to go after you and can't make the charge everything is with in 12inches more then enough to get off all your extra shots or pick the highest dice out of two (fusion). Above is the tactics involving the fusion commanders and cib team. Plasma teams are handled differently.

As for the stealth suits, even with the -1 to hit. They feel a little less resilient then those of their XV8 partners. They can take a bit more damage then before which is nice but the only real problem I see is the weapon ranges that can make them very troublesome to use effectively and then having a homing beacon in which you have to get really close to the enemy to make it worth while not only puts that unit in risk as well as what ever you drop in as well. Over all the risk vs reward is to great not allowing for much flexibility and makes it to predictable if your enemy is smart. I think they aren't a unit that meshes well with the counter crisis list set up.

As for plasma you can always set them up 11 to 12 inches away from the enemy its all you need. As for commander farsight himself having him go into melee is a nice option but should be reserved when you need him to. There is no reason early on in a fight to charge a weakened enemy with possibly a suit team or two with him only to wipe it out and be in charge range of the enemies entire army. I tend to use farsight as a counter charge unit to things he can handle or to get in a few hits before boosting away. Being to aggressive leads to you loosing your warlord to early when you had no reason to in the first place. In over watch with massed suit firepower you have far better chance doing damage to the enemy attempting to get into melee then you actually dealing doing melee.

3) Pathfinders.... (Laughs) Oh heck no! I think its a perfect number with a few extra shots here and there in another units to supplement if needed. The nice thing with two large teams of pathfinders is;

1) You can always count on your marker lights giving you your +5 to any target you choose. Even if you do not get all of them you can take a few from the other team to ensure that must die target does get its +5.
2) In cover they are much more annoying to deal with if your rolling good.
3) loosing a one to 3three pathfinders a round in a single team or both wont hurt you to badly.
4) The enemies always love to shoot at the lights... They are huge aggro magnets. It almost never fails to see a space marine player drop shooting assault terminators near by in hopes to wipe out the squad quickly only to see small rewards for their efforts.
5) If your enemy ignores the lights by all means go ham and teach them the error of their ways.

Over all I do not feel I have to few or to many marker lights, when I get the full +5 boost from them it really does make the army work all the much better. I will not consider reducing their numbers as cheap as they are now why not?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 25 2017 10:37

Sounds like you've thought it through well then! Post a battle report or two once you've done some fighting and let us know how it worked out!

Silvtalon
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 26 2017 04:43

Arka0415 wrote:Sounds like you've thought it through well then! Post a battle report or two once you've done some fighting and let us know how it worked out!

I have had about 5 games in using this force and done really well.
1 game vs Dark Angels
1 Orcs
3 skattri, imp guard and custodians

Silvtalon
Shas

Post#6 » Jul 30 2017 02:24

Below is a battle report some of you have requested using this force. Enjoy my forces first narrative battle in "Fate of Konor"
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=26209

Return to “Cadre Building”