8th edition First 1000pt kauyon list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
555ea
Shas'Saal

8th edition First 1000pt kauyon list

Post#1 » Jul 25 2017 06:27

It's funny, but I have never played since the 5th edition with the bloody angels. The only box that I have is Start Collecting, I plan to take the Pathfinder and two broadsides boxes, because I truly love the look of HRR. I do not have enough budget for a commader box, so i'll be running a crisis as a commander and an understrength unit of 2 crisis suits.
The main guide I was looking at was AenariIT's mathhammer tables viewtopic.php?f=34&t=25614

OUTRIDER DETACHMENT [CP+1] (851pts)

• HQ – Commander (156pts) (WARLORD)
1x Commander – 3x missile pod, ATS

• TROOP – Strike Team (103pts)
9x Firewarrior Shas’la - pulse rifle, photon grenades
1x Firewarrior Shas’ui – pulse rifle, photon grenades, markerlight, pulse pistol
1x DS8 Tactical Support Turret - missile pod

• FAST ATTACK – Pathfinder Team (68pts)
4x Pathfinder Shas’la – pulse carbine, photon grenades, markerlight
1x Pathfinder Shas’ui – pulse carbine, photon grenades, markerlight, pulse pistol
1x MB3 Recon
1x MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone
1x MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone

• FAST ATTACK – Pathfinder Team (40pts)
4x Pathfinder Shas’la – pulse carbine, photon grenades, markerlight
1x Pathfinder Shas’ui – pulse carbine, photon grenades, markerlight, pulse pistol

• FAST ATTACK – Tactical drones (70pts)
3x MV7 Marker Drone
5x MV1 Gun Drone

• HEAVY SUPPORT – XV88 Broadside Battlesuits (414pts)
1x Broadside Shas’ui - heavy rail rifle, two plasma rifles, shield generator, seeker missile
1x Broadside Shas’vre - heavy rail rifle, two plasma rifles, drone controller, seeker missile
3x MV8 Missile Drone
1x MV4 Shield Drone

AUX DETACHMENT [CP-1] (144pts)

• ELITE – XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (144pts)
1x Crisis Shas’ui - 3x burst cannon
1x Crisis Shas’vre - 3x burst cannon

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 8th edition First 1000pt kauyon list

Post#2 » Jul 25 2017 11:00

Frankly, given your restrictions (owned models, Broadsides, etc.) I'd say this is definitely one of the better lists you could put together!

I'd advise you to give the Commander 4x Fusion Blasters, as it's a fantastic loadout, but we can go with the Kauyon strategy and keep everything somewhat long-range.

-

HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors, 1x Markerlight (83)
Elites - 2x XV8s w/ 6x Burst Cannons; 4x Gun Drones (192)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights; 1x Shield Drone, 1x Grav-Inhibitor Drone, 1x Recon Drone (68)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Fast Attack - Tactical Drones; 4x Shield Drones (32)
Heavy Support - 2x XV88s w/ 2x Heavy Rail Rifles, 4x Plasma Rifles, 1x Drone Controller; 4x Missile Drones (415)

Total: 998 - Command Points: 3 (1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Auxiliary Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 29 2017 05:52

Nice! I don't like the -1 cp from the understrength auxiliary detachment, though. You should seriously consider swapping the xv8s for more commanders!

That's what i did with my getting started pack. I converted 3 burst cannons and 9 spare pulse carbines into proxies of cyclic ion blasters and now run:

Commander 1: 4x fusion
Commander 2: 3x CIB, ATS
Commander 3: 3x missile pod, ATS

It's expensive at 454 points (without drones!) but they can hit really hard if you play them right and you don't get that nasty -1 cp

PS: I didn't want burst cannons on my crisis suits, I feel we've got enough S5 ap0 on tau lists - what we need are shots that can reliably take down flyers with their toughness 6/7 and that powerful -1 to hit. Commanders can fill that role perfectly, while still being capable of taking down vehicles and heavy infantry.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 29 2017 11:47

Jburli wrote:Nice! I don't like the -1 cp from the understrength auxiliary detachment, though. You should seriously consider swapping the xv8s for more commanders!

That's what i did with my getting started pack. I converted 3 burst cannons and 9 spare pulse carbines into proxies of cyclic ion blasters and now run:

Commander 1: 4x fusion
Commander 2: 3x CIB, ATS
Commander 3: 3x missile pod, ATS

It's expensive at 454 points (without drones!) but they can hit really hard if you play them right and you don't get that nasty -1 cp

PS: I didn't want burst cannons on my crisis suits, I feel we've got enough S5 ap0 on tau lists - what we need are shots that can reliably take down flyers with their toughness 6/7 and that powerful -1 to hit. Commanders can fill that role perfectly, while still being capable of taking down vehicles and heavy infantry.

You're correct about the most competetive build for the list, but I wanted to keep the list largely as he wrote it. If we use 3 Commanders though, then certainly those loadouts would be the most optimal! Let's see how the list looks with those in it:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x CIBs, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (154)

There's 486 points, and tons of anti-elite and anti-vehicle firepower. With that in, we'll definitely want some S5 firepower to beef up our anti-infantry, and some Markerlights too.

Troops - 10x Fire Warriors (80)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 7x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (92)

There's another 282 points, bringing us to 758 points and still a bit of room to grow! We can add a Broadside since you're interested in adding one, and a little squad of Shield Drones to keep it healthy.

Fast Attack - Tactical Drones; 4x Shield Drones (32)
Heavy Support - Broadside w/ Heavy Rail Rifle, 2x Plasma Rifles, Velocity Tracker (167)

Now we're at 967. We have a little problem though- we'd need an auxiliary detachment, or another Troops choice, to fit all of those HQs! So let's split the Pathfinder squad into a Rifle team and a Markerlight team.

Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

With the remaining 33 points... we can spend 18 points to upgrade the Broadside to carry SMS and a Seeker Missile, that would definitely help. With the last 10 points feel free to add another Shield Drone to the Broadside's group and give our Fire Warrior Shas'ui a Markerlight, or any other 10-point upgrade really. Let's check out the final list:

-

Troops - 10x Fire Warriors, Markerlight (83)
Fast Attack - Tactical Drones; 5x Shield Drones (40)
Heavy Support - Broadside w/ Heavy Rail Rifle, 2x SMS, Velocity Tracker, 1x Seeker Missile (190)

Total: 1001 - Command Points - 4 (1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Patrol Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 30 2017 07:08

Arka0415 wrote:
Troops - 10x Fire Warriors, Markerlight (83)
Fast Attack - Tactical Drones; 5x Shield Drones (40)
Heavy Support - Broadside w/ Heavy Rail Rifle, 2x SMS, Velocity Tracker, 1x Seeker Missile (190)

Total: 1001 - Command Points - 4 (1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Patrol Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Like good to me Arka.

Actually, I made a 1,250 point which has some similarities. I'll post it as a new thread shortly.

I put marker drones on the CIB commander just because rerolling ones is essential if you need to overcharge. I'll have to see how much survivability I get with that..

I like having a fusion gun in the stealth team, with either multi-tracker or VT.
Typically I have 5-9 gun drones surrounding the stealths, so str5 shots aren't in short supply.
I take the fusion not because I think it'll do anything (stupid bs4+) but for physiological reasons. The same reason you'd be much more wary about attacking a squad of space marines with a commander or vehicle if you noticed it has a meltagun.

The broadsides are the tricky ones, I feel. Not particularly points efficient at the moment (hopefully the tau codex resolves that) but I do agree they look cool! That's the reason I took rail rifles over ion rifles on my pathfinders.

Heavy rail rifles should be strength 9 (like the much cheaper imperial lascannons) and full railguns should be strength 12, I feel.

Return to “Cadre Building”